shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

10/10/2018 went across the big pond today for pannies and bullhead or just anything that bites. way to warm to hike in trout ponds for me. had a good morning fishing but also visiting. met a guy that i knew from brandon vt years ago and he invited me out on his pontoon boat but i declined liked it where i was on shore in my chair. then met another fisherman with a bass boat who is good freinds with a local here in moriah and we chatted as the local was also there but up farthur in his tracker . never know who your going to meet fishing. well anyhow i landed 8 small smallmouths yup couldnt beleive it fishing on bottom. bullhead didnt bite because to many small sunnies attacking my worms. caught 10 bullhead kept 7 and lost 2 big fish one im thinking walleye all the way.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/29/2018 a balmy day 42 degrees and cloudy i headed south on champlain with channelcat (scott) for some walleye action and pike action. started fishing somewhere around 8:15 am we had 2 set ups one with jigs tipped with medium shiners and the other sinkers and a hook also set up with medium shiners. forgot to mention were fishing from shore. i had one rod in the fast water and 1 rod in the slow water scott the same. we were there about 20 minutes when my rod in the fast water was bobbing back and forth waited a few seconds picked it up felt the fish set the hook and a miss. typical finicky walleye. then 10 minutes later same rod same spot started bobbing again let it do its thing for a minute picked up the rod still on there set the hook fish on and a good one. then just like that he was off in the fast water. 2 bites 2 baits gone. for the next hour 6 or 7 more hits but 3 of them nibbles and i landed 1 9 inch perch. scott had 2 misses one in the fast water and one in the slower water. left after 11 am with only 1 shiner left . had fun with scott will do it again. the eyes are there.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Channelcat
Species: Catfish

Post by Channelcat »

That spot will pay off with a good one good day
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Hardcore! Love your reports
Riddler
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/2/2019 my ist day across the big pond targeting bullhead and met up with bootstrap, windy and cold we decided to try and get out of the wind so we fished my 2nd choice up farthur. the bite started out good but fluttered after awhile. erik caught 1 perch and left around 11:30 am and i stayed till noon catching 2 11 inch perch and lost 1 bullhead. had fun though despite wind and cold will do it again.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/3/2019 headed across the big pond to meet up with erik for some bullhead fishing and scouting a new area from shore for me as erik lives close to these areas. the ist place he showed me was town owned and i could see thompsons point the 2nd place was state owned i could see gardner island wow beautiful area. great big eagle nest near one spot. we caught 1 small perch but was a fun day i havent been to that area since the mid 70,s bullhead fishing and duck hunting.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

headed across the big pond for some bullhead fishing this morning. started fishing at 8 am and very slow in this spot so i headed down creek to the big tree about 300 yards down farthur. got a bite right off and i land a big bullhead. fished a couple more hrs there with lots of bullhead bites but they wernt committing. ended up catching 5 my ist ones in 2019. :) :) ImageImagenearest comerica bank
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Nice job, Matt!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/11/2019 headed across the big pond with a freind bill who bought his vt license for the ist time. left the house at 7 am and bill wanted to see all the spots he could fish from shore. so we rode around till 8:45 am showing him public access spots to fish. the north wind was howling so we decided to bullhead fish in the panton road boy was it cold. got 2 bites and noone home. so then around 10:45 am we left and headed south of the bridge to show him some spots. stopped at the last spot and tossed out our lines. wasnt long we had 2 good bites and noone home. then we heard someone behind us say dont know if you want to be fishing here and it was a vt game warden. he said the pulled a vehicle out of the water there and could be polluted. he sadi the vehicle was out about 30 yards in the lake. we showed him our fishing licenses and he was on his way and we decided to stay at that spot. wasnt long both my rods had good bites and i land a tench fish after a great fight. then bill missed a couple what we thought were bullhead then i land a big bullhead . we fished another 45 minutes with several good bites but noone home then we left at 12:30 pm. we had fun today and bill said he learned alot and wants to go back soon.

GSP
Species: Bass, trout

Post by GSP »

Nice. I always look forward to your Spring reports because it means I’ll be fishing soon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/12/2019 head back over across the big pond today for some bullhead action and boy did i get it. non stop bite from 7:30 am to noon . about 5 inches from the top of a 6 gallon pail what a fun day. got it out of my system got plenty to eat and for a few freinds now on to chasing salmon from shore. ImageImage
GSP

Post by GSP »

Damn. That a lot of fish. Good job! Any advice on cleaning the fish?

I see you leave the tail. Do you eat it? (Hope the question isn’t too stupid)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

GSP wrote:Damn. That a lot of fish. Good job! Any advice on cleaning the fish?

I see you leave the tail. Do you eat it? (Hope the question isn’t too stupid)
bullhead are easy to clean harder to wash the insides for me. i cut under the top horn slice the skin on the back a several inches cut the skin around the head put a dull knife under the top horn and pull entire guts will come out with the skin plus the belly meat. very simple and fast . when i wash the bullhead i scrape the tail also and will eat it . i do all in case others eat the tail also. hope this helps bullhead are easier to clean for me than most fish.
you can also cut around the top horn and leave it and pull the skin back on both sides but thats one extra step for me
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Thanks for the info! You’ll have to do a youtube video one of these days. I’m sure it would help quite a few people.

Edit: found a few videos showing the old school method. Thanks again!
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Matt.....how do you cook them, deep fry? Coating?