9194.jpeg
9194.jpeg (138.73 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
9196.jpeg
9196.jpeg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish

Post by Sawyer »

That is a nice Eye Matt. I know you put the time and effort into it and it paid off. Love the pics and the story.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Here is another pic of the walleye
Attachments
9198.jpeg
9198.jpeg (76.83 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Matt:

Nice job!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

just to let you know this hole im fishing is a little tricky since there is a sunken tree here also. lost 2 jigs and that wasnt no fun. if i dont cast my jig out the right distance and with the current im going to get hung up. ugh. but its worth the effort i know that tree is holding eyes. when i get my jon boat i will be in a better position to get over it and drop my jigs straight down. what do you think trout crazy?
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great job Matt...
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Matt when we fish the CT river for Eyes we ancor just up from the spot we are going to fish so we can jig of the back of the boat and it works great. We hope you get your boat soon so we can see your results.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

If we're talking about the same spot, then I believe there's a whole mess of trees and branches down there. I can't even drift over it without getting hung up. The current yesterday made it tricky to jig down there, too. I had to use a 1oz sinker as a drop shot.

Anchoring upstream/upwind is definitely the way to go. It can be a tricky spot to anchor, though. The bottom drops off in a funny way, and my anchor sometimes fails to hold the bottom until it finds the trees. My anchor is just a rock. I don't think I've lost one there, but I've definitely had to work to get it back a few times.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/22/2018 hit that sweet spot again this morning for some more shore fishing for eyes and pan fish. started fishing at 6:30 am with a light rain falling and a breezy wind. set out the ist rod with the moon eye jig and the 2nd with a sinker and hook and worm to see what was going to happen. still kind of dark 15 minutes went by without a bite which is very unusual then i noticed not much current ugh. then my moon eye jig rod started bouncing wildly and fish on i land a 19 inch eye.. wow what a start tossed it in the cooler and excited now. then a little after 7 am both rods fire and 2 white perch then it was non stop and some bullhead also. pulled in the jig rod and fished with just the sinker rod. somewhere around 8 am or so the current completely stopped and had to tighten up the slack ugh. the bite slowed also giving me a better chance for an eye but none. then around 9:20 am my rod tip was bending slowly and fish on but unhooked quickly. could have been an eye. then at 10 am decided to go back to the jig with no current getting a few whites and i kept getting hung up lost 3 jigs ugh. so at 10:30 am decided to cast out as far as i could and drag bottom but would have to pull up before the sunken trees. not much action this way either until 11:10 am i was half way in began to lift to reel it in before hitting the sunken trees and my rod tip stopped and said oh no hung up but then the rod tip started bouncing fish on and a good one. got it up and about 12 feet from shore and i could see it was a big eye then i couldnt reel it anymore ugh he was caught on something . kept working him with him splashing then i noticed he was tangled in someones line hooked on bottom. so i decided to run some line off the reel to see if he would unhook himself from the line but he didnt tightened back up and the line went limp he got unhooked. oh well he will be bigger next time. :o :o :o kept 28 white perch and 8 bullhead
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Matt's catch of the day
Attachments
9215.jpeg
9215.jpeg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
9217.jpeg
9217.jpeg (83.42 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

you did it aigan Matt. Your walleyes look nice and healthy. Can you see what there feeding on?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:you did it aigan Matt. Your walleyes look nice and healthy. Can you see what there feeding on?
empty stomachs don. lots of bait there and small white perch sometimes the shore is loaded with minnows
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Very nice. I've noticed the same thing where I am, most of this summer, empty stomaches
A White
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

That sounds amazing. I love fishing in light rain.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/23/2018 went across the big pond again this morning with only 1 more moon eye jig landed a small eye at 7 am then got hung up and lost it to the bottom. went back to my sinker worm rod and the white perch were non stop. about 10 am a pontoon boat trolling caught my line stopped him and he backed up unhooked his stick bait from my line and the driver of the boat says were sitting on fish stacked top to bottom i said yup white perch. he said to bad they wernt walleyes i agreed. ending up filleting 36 whites tonight for my daughter-in-laws family who were here for my granddaughters birthday emily is now 3 years old time to start her fishing. :D :D :D :D :D