shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

6/6/2018 got a call from a fishing freind in vt. saying the walleyes are not tuned in so i decided to try up north. really glad i did as the bite was pretty steady and i landed 12 eyes 1 pike 1 bass and 9 big yellow perch. missed several eyes and lost 2 good ones for there maybe 20 inches. kept 3 for dinner 16 to 17 and half inches. the 1/2 ounce moon eye glow jigs did the trick tipped with a crawler and on bottom. a fun morningImageImageImageImage[/url[url=https://postimg.cc/image/db5zxms9p/]Image
some small ones means there in there
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice variety of fish Matt, glad you're having fun.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You're the man Matt. You no were the Eyes are and how to catch them. Nice pic thanks.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I hope to some day catch 1/100th of the fish you catch!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/8/2018 headed back up north this morning for some more shore fishing for pan fish and eyes. started fishing at 7:25 am and the bite was there for big perch then it slowed . around 8 am had a good run and fish on i land my ist eye tossed it back to close to 15 inches so hurried and released it. then the other rod took off and i land another about the same size. didnt even take it out of the water just unhooked it . 14 or 15 inches but a good fight. then it slowed again with me catching some rock bass maybe 7 or 8 . than around 9:15 am 2 rods had runs and fish on both 2 more eyes unhooked them and let them swim again. then i decided to move from the shallows to about 30 fow because the sun was bright and i might hook into a big eye. while reeling in had a hit and fish on i land another eye quickly laid it on the ground and took a quick pic before releasing it. got over to the 30 fow and started slow but soon i was catching some nice perch 8 to 11 inches. they bit in streaks but were well worth fishing for. also caught a big pumpkinseed and a smallie. sometime between 10 am and 11:30 am had a good strong run bending the rod tip and missed. thinking a big eye . ended the morning with 5 eyes all released a good mess of jumbo perch some big rock bass and 1 big pumpkinseed. i was very happy as the bite was off and on but the quality of the pan fish was awsome. probably had at least 2 legal eyes but chose not to keep them this morning. :D
my last eye caught this morningImagefree image hostingImageImagepic upload
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Fishy is a perfect name for you matty!
Matt B
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Good work Matt, the "eyes" are upon you :!: :lol:
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Nice job! Great report.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/11/2018 headed back up north hopeing to get some more jumbo perch and the eyes would be a bonus. started fishing in the shallows with non stop pan fish action but small used 24 crawlers in a little over an hour. only kept 3 perch there most were rock bass. at 9 am though i when the pan fish slowed down i landed 2 small eyes in 5 minutes one on a moon eye jig and the other on a hook both tipped with crawlers. landed another small eye at 9:30 am then decided to move to much deeper water. set up 3 rods 2 with moon eye jigs and one with a snelled hook and a bell sinker. started slow but picked up and boy did it the jumbo perch were aggressive. my left rod though had not one bite just left it there at 10:45 am that left rod bent about 8 inches picked it up and fish on and a good one got it up and tried to get my hand under the gill plate and it didnt like it and twisted the hook out and down it went right to the bottom. what a battle he gave me estimated 5 lbs. shortly after my middle rod with the snelled hook on doubled over and fish on i land a nice 20 inch eye. i wasnt in a good spot need to bring my net here. then i got a few more perch and the left rod again was bouncing wildly and fish on i land a nice 18 inch eye. then at noon or before i land another eye on a the chartreuse moon eye jig and then another small eye on the snelled hook again then it was a little after noon so i had to be on my way to get home. had a fun morning landing 7 eyes and only kept 1 the 20 incher . kept 17 big jumbo perch and 3 big rock bass.

here is a snaller eye
ImageImage
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh, wow! I go away for a little while and I miss all the action! Sounds like you have been "crushing it" as they say!

Haha your granddaughter is way ahead of me. I have still never caught a walleye!

Maybe I'll try the Lamoille on Wednesday. I have a new pedal kayak (I'll post about it later), that I plan to use on the broad lake. But I'm not comfortable with it yet, and the lake water's too cold to adventure with an unfamiliar craft, and the weather's to warm to wear a drysuit.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

i'm jellous Matt. The Walleyes are amazing. Have you tryed minnows or crank baits at all?
Thanks for the exciting post.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/12/2018 hit up north again today and to plan on just hitting the deeper part with 3 different set ups. ist one will be a moon eye jig tipped with a certified medium shiner 2nd one will be a bell sinker and a snell hook above it and the 3rd will be another moon eye jig head tipped with a crawler started fishing at 7:10 am and wayne will be joining me at 8:30 am. started real slow then i landed a perch on the snelled hook. a few minutes later my jig tipped with a crawler bent over and fish on i land a small eye. maybe legal maybe not released it right away. then nothing and wayne arrived and went over to fish the shallows. soon after he left the rid with the minnow bent sharply and fish on and a nice one only for him to shake loose within 6 foot of em probably at least a 20 inch eye. then i got a few more perch and a big rock bass. wayne came back form the shallow water with not one bite he couldnt beleive it. then the action really slowed as it got really warm. i had 1 more good hit on the shiner and an awsome hit on the jig with the tipped crawler but both no takers. wayne had to good hits alos vbut no takers. we left somewhere around noon
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

I'm just curious, do you work the moon eye jigs at all or just let them sit on the bottom? I've caught some nice eyes casting and jigging them back in tipped with 4" rubber fish like finess fish or club tailed perch imitations.

Those are some beautiful walleye. Great job and Congrats!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Congrats, Matt! Some great fish. You must be on the NY side of the pond.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sacospinner wrote:I'm just curious, do you work the moon eye jigs at all or just let them sit on the bottom? I've caught some nice eyes casting and jigging them back in tipped with 4" rubber fish like finess fish or club tailed perch imitations.

Those are some beautiful walleye. Great job and Congrats!
i mostly fish them sitting on the bottom but when the eyes arnt aggressive i will drag bottom with them by reeling slow where i can. i have better luck dragging bottom then casting or jigging. i always use crawlers eyes favorite food and some times certified minnows but worms seem to do better. i love fishing these eyes from shore and they give a pretty good fight to.
i have to buy some more moon eye jigs soon since i cant find any in this area. i bought them in cabela,s in near niagara falls when we fished the loc derby on ontario. got them for the niagara river.