pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:nice looking perch Matt . What is that on your Bullhead?
beet horseradish don
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/2/2018 hit the camp at 7 am and a very slow start for perch until 10 am and it picked up left at 11:15 am with 12 nice yellows around 9 or 10 inches.
wind changed to the west in the afternoon and gusting to 25 mph. asked alayna if she wanted to go but she said she wasnt feeling well it was to hot 89 degrees. so i went over at 3:30 and glad i did the yellows were on fire. both rods going steady. had lots of sorting and had to keep some badly hooked small ones but after 4:30 pm most were 9 and 10 inches. fished till 5:45 pm and went home to fillet. no pics of them together because i was running them up to my car and putting them on ice i did take a pic of the fillets though. i didnt even have to wait for the bite or drag bottom they were hungry and hooking there self.

ImageImageimage url upload
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu May 03, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That's a lot of tasty fillets.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice pile of perch fillets!
I tried a couple smaller lakes for crappies but the water was still too cold to bring them into the shallows. I bet they moved in by evening, though, sunny and warm as it was. The bass were already in.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/3/2018 running errands all day but got to go down the lake for awhile this evening. perch are still there but lots of smaller ones tonight. kept 9 yellows 2 whites and 1 bullhead.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/4/2018 invited to a new spot today for some pan fishing. started at 7 am fishing on shore when my freind came out and said it better on my dock im not fishing this morning so get on it. and i did . water was clear today so i didnt think the bullhead would bite but i got a suprise i was catching some big pumpkinseeds yellow perch and white perch. 4 fow there and semi weedy. kept 15 yelloes 6 whites and 18 pumpkinseeds for filleting. tossed double back in just kept the real big ones .
here is my new spotImageImage
pumpkinseed
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/6/2018 hit the lake this morning for some bullheading and pan fish and did pretty kept 12 10 inch yellows 9 9 plus inch whites and 5 bullhead. my camera was left at home, ugh.
went back to the same spot at 5 pm with the bay full of dead alewifes that wernt there this morning. but the bite was pretty good. at 5:20 pm my right rod started bouncing wildly grabbed it and fish on something big to. the fight was a good one finally got him closer to shore and saw its back and it looke like a huge pike got excited and tried to horse it in and got broke off. ugh. the bites was steady until about 6:45 pm and it slowed. caught some nice whites one 12 inches some nice yellows 3 over 11 inches and 8 jumbow bullhead. ImageImageImage
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice verity Matt. We tryed for cats Saturday night 6pm to 9.30 pm We used alewifes for bait no takers.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Delicious fishes! Looks like you've got a pleasant spot :)
I got into some nice crappies in shallow water the other day. The bass were piled in there, too.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Looks like the panfish bite is picking up...nice job Matt.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/7/2018 got to take alayna fishing after school tonight even though it was a school night since i will be leaving to fish the loc spring derby at niagara bar for 13 days. north wind and muddy water sunny is good for bullhead and white perch. set up 3 rods for here on bottom since i wouldnt fish. started fishing at 4 pm and before i got the 3rd rod in fish on alayna yells and feels like big bullhead and it was. that was a great start. then 2 rods had bites and i said choose the best bite and she did landed a nice white perch then over to the other rod and fish on she lands another smaller white perch. tossed back and alayna says pa pa can i try and throw it back out i said go ahead. she got it out nicely. but another rod was going and she says fish on another bullhead. wow i was getting tired just trying to keep up with worms and taking fish off. so i decided for here to use only 2 rods. a little while later alayna says i got to go to the bathroom so i took her up my freinds house and of course they delayed our return to the water since they fed her ice cream and popsicles. finally got back down and she got a good bite right off another big bullhead but she was struggling to get it in finally she just backed off becasue she had a good size eel on. what a performance that followed. :lol: :lol: :lol: fish were still biting when we got a text it was time for supper. at 5:30 pm so i said 5 minutes more. she then got a bite that just held the rod over but not biting which the catfish like to do with worms, she set the hook and started winding but couldnt move it so she did how she was taught use the rod only thing this rod was one of the rods she won in the fathers day derby or given to her for picking the drawings out. well i guess you know the rest of the story it broke her off. she looks at me and says pa pa im sorry i said you have nothing to be sorry for you did the right thing . in less than an hour and half she did very well. 6 bullhead 7 big white perch and tossed everything else back including the eel.

Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Wow she had a good evening of fishing. I think Traci and I should sell our boat and start fishing from shore.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

We're moored in the back of Town Farm Bay at Pt. Bay Marina. Even casting to shore from the dock, water is cold and bites are few and far between. Perch haven't moved in yet, but we've taken some monster white suckers, a few small mouth (males still) and a couple of nice pike. Jigs and small spoons are working better than worms. Female smallies should move in any time with the warm weather. I tried raising Thorny on the radio Sunday, but he was "busy on the stern with a knife." Instigator responded too. Mech issues are fixed, all cleaned up and Serenity is back in the fleet. See you on the water!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/23/2018 hit the lake early for some catfishing and bowfin fishing.using sun fish for bait after catching some. 7 am a good run and i land a 15.4 lb catfish that was released 29 inches then at 7:45 am had what acted like a bullhead but bobbing my line up and down and not running. waited a couple of minutes set the hook and fish on and a surprise a big fish . it was about 30 feet from shore and busting water still didnt know what was on the end of the line . i was thinking a big gar but seconds after that i saw it and a big suprise a huge pike. got him to shore where the water depth is about 6 inches right now and i struggled to get him in the net and he got loose and away it went. at least a 40 inch pike or more. then around 9 am another run and i land a male bowfin. fished till 11 am landed another catfish small and 2 fins and one eel. lots of eels this year. still havent got my post image straightened out will try and have chawk post some pics from my phone.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow, big fish! I'm glad to hear you're catching eels. I hope they make a comeback. I think they're amazing.

I love those photos of your grand daughter! She looks so proud of that eel! The pure excitement and joy that kids show when they catch fish is really great to see.

I think I'm overdue for another fishing outing with my 5yo nephew. We go out in my bigger canoe sometimes, but next time I think we'll stay on shore. His casts are a little dangerous in the canoe.