pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by fishy1 »

lots of eels this year. caught at least one every trip. my son got one trolling in deep water. yikes.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Here is Alanya
Attachments
7214.jpeg
7210.jpeg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/26/2018 had most of my work at home done so i decided to go over to camp area and fish for catfish and bowfins. started fishing at 6 pm with big fish busting water right in front of me. didnt take long to get a run and fish on i land a 29 and half inch fin 10 lbs on my rapala digital scale. then soon after another run fish on i land a 24 inch fin unhooked it looked at my other rod i just threw out and it was going grabbed it fish on i land a 22 inch fin. they were still busting water in front of me and some big ones. then nothing for 15 minutes and another run and i land a 25 inch fin. 10 minutes later another run and fish on and a good one after a great battle i land a 31 inch fin that was just under 11 lbs. then it slowed but had 4 more runs before leaving at 8:15 pm and i land a 20 inch and 22 inch fin. what a great 2 hours. all fins were released to fight again. jeff will post pics of the 2 biggest fins. no catfish tonight but its okay had fun battleing these prehistoric fins.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's Matt's 10 lb fin,
Attachments
They were in fire, Matt couldn't even keep up with the texting!
They were in fire, Matt couldn't even keep up with the texting!
7234.jpeg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the one on top was almost 11 lbs the bottom one 10 lbs.jeff was right they were on fire no time for texting.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/7/2018 decided to fish fish for pan fish and catfish on the other side of the big pond today solo. started fishing using 2 rods and sinkers and crawlers at 7 am with already 10 other fisherman there. i drove down farthur about 100 feet from them. i wasnt there 5 minutes and 2 fish on a sheephead and and a catfish both on the small side. tossing out my lines when they hit bottom had steady bites with small perch and whit perch but still was fun as they were hammering the worms. at 8 am i land a decent size sheephead maybe 8 lbs or so and the fight with these are incredible and lots of fun. fished till 10 am when it got a little warm in the sun so drove home. i ended up catching 5 little catfish and 8 sheephead the biggest about 8 lbs and before i left a bunch of big white perch all fish were released. big fish rolling in front of me all morning. had a fun 3 hours on the other side of the big pond.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh boy those bowfin are really amazing fish! Sounds like a good couple days!
Wow that sounds like a nice sheepshead you caught, too.
I put my kayak in at red gate this morning around 6:30am, and pedaled right across the lake to the NY side! I tried a couple trees for crappies on the way out, but didn't find any. I stayed out way too long, and came back exhausted, but I tried for crappies again once I got back, under a bridge. There were tons of little ones, about 6 inches, but nothing of any size.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Oh boy those bowfin are really amazing fish! Sounds like a good couple days!
Wow that sounds like a nice sheepshead you caught, too.
I put my kayak in at red gate this morning around 6:30am, and pedaled right across the lake to the NY side! I tried a couple trees for crappies on the way out, but didn't find any. I stayed out way too long, and came back exhausted, but I tried for crappies again once I got back, under a bridge. There were tons of little ones, about 6 inches, but nothing of any size.
i wasnt to far from you this morning. did you try under the old dock at the red gate?
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Started out early afternoon for perch today, ended up with several yellows and whites, and a few blue gills. So we decided to have an early dinner to get back out in the water for eels and cat fish tonight. Started off slow, but then right at dusk -Don had a runner! After a tough fight, ended up being an 18 lb. cat in the boat -weighed and released. Shortly after, fish on again with a good fight with a 12lb. Cat -weighed and released. Waited for an eel but it was getting late so we called it a night.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Started out early afternoon for perch today, ended up with several yellows and whites, and a few blue gills. So we decided to have an early dinner to get back out in the water for eels and cat fish tonight. Started off slow, but then right at dusk -Don had a runner! After a tough fight, ended up being an 18 lb. cat in the boat -weighed and released. Shortly after, fish on again with a good fight with a 12lb. Cat -weighed and released. Waited for an eel but it was getting late so we called it a night.
wow good job no pics? i bet you 2 had fun out there. to bad about the eels.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

fishy1 wrote: i wasnt to far from you this morning. did you try under the old dock at the red gate?
I figured you were just upstream, from reading your report :)

I didn't try the dock. I never catch them there, unless they're also biting in the trees. I actually haven't done well with crappies in that river for the last few years-- I've mostly given up trying there. A few years ago, though.... I really did well.

I tried for them near the Champlain bridge yesterday. It was really too windy for that kind of fishing. Again, I caught lots of little ones, and only one keeper. I'm starting to feel like I forgot how to catch them, after all this trout and salmon fishing!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/10/2018 took alayna over to the other side of the big pond today and she had a blast. the bite was on and i mean on i couldnt catch a break :lol: set 2 rods for her with sinkers and crawlers and 1 for me for catfish with a cut bait on. ist 5 minutes there she lost a real big fish and landed a good size bullhead. then a sheephead and more. i baited the hooks and she fished. i can tell you i didnt get to sit at all and it was hot there in the sun but she likes fishing. we started fishing at 7 am and quit at 10:15 am with her last fish being her ist crappie and a nice one. trout crazy your going to like this. she landed lots of pan fish 6 bullhead 5 sheephead 3 small catfish and the crappie. hoping jeff post pics tonight. :D :D :D
no runs on the cut bait
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here you go Matt
Attachments
7779.jpeg
7777.jpeg
7775.jpeg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/11/2018 took alayna across the big pond again and there were big fish busting water in front of us the whole 3 hours we were there. started out with 2 worm rods and a cat rod with a cut bait on it. didnt stay in the water long within 10 minutes she had a run and fish on and a good one. got close to shore and then she couldnt budge it the sinker grab a hold of something and the fish broke off ugh. i never use a sinker ugh . then after catching several bullhead then her worm rod took off pulling the rod forward rock on it and all then it went slack . alayna pulled it in and the double snelled hook was cut right off about 2 inches above the hook. clean as a whistle wow. then about 1/2 hour later another pull taking the pole straight out alayna grabbed it and fish on and a big one. was going up and then down back and forth fighting for its life but alayna kept at got it about 15 feet from shore made a run and and twisted the hook right out . alayna says pa pa my fault when it was peeling line i should have just let it go instead of trying to stop it and pulling it in. she was very sad. i said alayna we have all made mistakes and lots of time the fish shake off no matter what decision you make. i said alayna you did very well handling that big fish and im proud of you. we then decided to go to mcdonalds for lunch. we ended up keeping 11 bullhead for dinner.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Good job Matt! Im sure Alayna is having a ball spending so much time fishing with her pa pa during the summer break. How did you prepare the bullhead for dinner? Besides the obvious skinning part, is there a recipe you prefer?