Here's Matt's pics
Attachments
7868.jpeg
7807.jpeg
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:Good job Matt! Im sure Alayna is having a ball spending so much time fishing with her pa pa during the summer break. How did you prepare the bullhead for dinner? Besides the obvious skinning part, is there a recipe you prefer?
hi nathan: how are things in montreal? here goes my wife they says fries the best bullhead and her recipe is simple roll in flour a little vegetable oil in pan and fry crispy. crispy is the real secret. :) :)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

fishy1 wrote:7/10/2018 ... we started fishing at 7 am and quit at 10:15 am with her last fish being her ist crappie and a nice one. trout crazy your going to like this.
You're right-- I like it! Congratulations to Alayna! I actually stopped by that spot for a few minutes to try for crappies (on my way to Button Bay to put in my kayak)-- it was probably about 6:15am-- just before you got there! And I couldn't catch a crappie! Alayna must have the magic touch. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/15/2018 rained in the morning did a little fishing solo before going to market for some food. stopped at another fishing spot i havent fished in 30 years decide to try it caught some bullhead 3 carp and 2 little catfish. so i went home unloaded picked up alayna and drove back to that spot. wasnt long she got into some nice bullhead then a sucker then finally high fives started alayna lands her ist carp ever. alayna was one happy girl. we only fished a couple of hours it was very hot when the sun came out. when i got home i started cleaning the bullhead she had 32 in the cooler on ice. all will be delivered this morning to family and freinds. it seems to me in that spot there are to many bullhead and i was told not many fisherman there anymore so they probably need to be thinned out. they were hungry and most swallowed the hook.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Good job on the Bullhead Alayna and congrats on your first carp. Keep it up.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/18/2018 once again went over on the other side of the big pond solo. started fishing at 7 am with a young family of 3 from boston that were there all night nearby. the guy came over and was asking me alot of questions. they were up here trying to catch there ist bowfins catfish and sheephead. so i decided to take time and go over and set them up. took a cut bait out of the cooler and gave them 2 . after setting them up i went back to fishing not a good morning for size but i caught 11 sheephead 9 little catfish and 1 small carp and 7 small bullhead all released. checked in on the young family before i left at 9:30 am and they and caught a good size carp and a bowfin. they were very happy and had all crawlers on then fishing for sheephead. yesterday there was a young guy in a kayak fishing as i was catching fish said to me you got the magic touch. i said what are you casting . he said a worm. i said okay couldnt figure out how he could cast just a worm. in to shore above me he went. within minutes he walked down to me saying sir could you rig me up like your rods. i said sure thing bring down a snell hook and a sinker if you have them and he said yes i do in the car. he went up and came back i tied his sinker on the end of the line showed him how to make a loop pull it tight and then run the loop of the snelled hook over the line loop and then run the hook end through and and your all set. i told him good luck . to me this is what fishing is all about teaching the future fisherman.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thats a nice thing to do Matt it's gratifying to see others catching fish that you have helped.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Great job Matt ... on both scores!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/6/2019 finally got to stay on this side of the big pond with a freind jason for catfish and bowfins from shore. was tough to catch bait but i brought along some raw shrimp. we started fishing at 6:30 am and fished till noon with 2 runs i had a catfish run with no hook set so when i set the hook i pulled the shrimp out of his mouth after a long run typical catfish. then jason was getting a bump and run and then then thd 5th time he set the hook and landed a nice male bowfin took 2 pics and never showed up ? ugh. it was a little hot there but had a good breeze. good to get get back catfishing but this is about the only spot i can get to safely with my leg on this side of the big pond. was so good seeing that catfish peeling that line off at a very fast rate.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/12/2019 headed across the big pond today for some catfishing bowfins and any other big fish that wanted dinner with alayna. she wanted only to fish for big fish so i set one rod out with shrimp and someone left some corn so alayna wanted some on the other cat rod. put out a 3rd rod with worms to catch bait but it never happened all she caught was small catfish and bullhead. alayna had 5 runs on the shrimp but noone home. 3 bump and runs and 2 good runs stole the shrimp. nothing on the corn we had fun though. i got a kick out of alayna when we were picking up pulling my rods apart and putting the hooks in the right place and winding the sinkers around the 2 piece rod tight.ImageImagepic share
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/16/2019 my brother mike made the hour drive from his house today for some catfishing and bowfin fishing. we got a late start because of storms in the area began fishing at 9:30 am i hurried and tossed out my worm rod with a shrimp on it then went over to set my brother up. heard and noise turned around and my reel was peeling line off at a good clip a cat for sure took me a while to get there and he was far out by then closed the bail and fish on i land a catfish before we even get the other rods in. finally got the 3 other rods in 2 with shrimp and 2 with cut bait. we went over an hour with no runs then my brother mike had 2 runs missing both. then he had another about noon and a miss. i had none after catching that one right off. 12:30 pm he has a run and fish on but loses it on his lite ugly stick with a cut bait. around 1 pm i have a strong run that took lots of line but noone home. then mikes line is peeling like no tommorrow and fish on only to get broke off near shore in the shallow water and weeds. looked over and the same rod i missed on was peeling line again and when i got over to it he was a long ways out and wouldnt stop so i closed the big ocean reel bail and set the hook as hard as i could and the rod just went forward big cat on but it didnt last long maybe a minute or so it shook loose. its really tough to get a good hook set when there that far out estimated 150 yards. then my brother had another run at the same time and a miss ugh . it was crazy from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm then the wind died and and the cats stopped biting. had lots of fun and was glad mike could make it over and fish with me i also felt the best today in a week.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Cool action...... thanks for the story and looks!!!!! Nice CAT..
Matt B
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Fun day with your Brother and a good cat to-boot. Glad your feeling better Matt.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Sawyer wrote:Fun day with your Brother and a good cat to-boot. Glad your feeling better Matt.
DITTO!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/19/2019 hit the big pond this morning with alayna and a freind bill for some shore fishing for cats and bowfins. had to sit in the car for awhile because of a rain shower but got set up anyhow in the rain, 5 rods 3 with shrimp 2 with cut bait. didnt take long for some action as alayna had 3 runs in 15 minutes we were busy she got broke off on one which we think was a gar or a pike bit the line off on a cut bait. then about 1/2 hour after the 3 runs adn misses alayna gets a strong run and fish on and a big one. didnt last long it shakes loose. then 2 more runs with noone home then the sun comes out and the runs died. we planned on leaving at noon so at 11:30 am she has a real strong run and it doesnt stop but slows down about 125 yards out and starts really fast told alayna to close the bail and if she feels the fish on that far out set the hook real hard and she does and fish on. long ways to real but she has spunk i knew she could do it but was struggling and her wrists and arms hurt it was on my ocean reel and big cat rod which are heavy. she lost her footing once so bill held on to her while i coached her cant give that cat one inch of slack. we finally saw it after about 15 minutes or so it was a nice on then it got hung up in the weeds so she needed to put more pressure on it and lift it and she did finally we got it in. alayna does it again herself so proud of her. bill has never caught a catfish and was highly impressed. the good runs were on cut bait the others shrimp and they tear them off lost 10 shrimp today. i use a 2 hook system and one was gone and the other always double snells had only one strand left and was hooked in the lip one mistake by alayna and that fish was gone. ImageImagepic uploaderImage

Imagebaby names 1962