Inland Sea 8-26-2011

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Inland Sea 8-26-2011

Post by raz »

I fished the Inland Sea Friday afternoon in hopes of catching a few Landlocked Salmon. I managed one fresh keeper landlocked and tons of perch. Mostly white perch with a few yellows mixed in. I was running two downriggers, both with fixed cheaters and the perch kept me very busy. I was bouncing from one side of the boat to the other, sometimes with fish on each rod, and sometimes I had fish on each lure! I found myself actually trying to catch a Vermont Master Angler white perch!

Fall fishing is right around the corner and the salmon fishing will be as hot as it gets!
November 5th is the scheduled date for the THIRD ANNUAL FROSTBITE SALMON SHOOTOUT!!! A great event for all that love fishing Lake Champlain Landlocked Salmon!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Re: Inland Sea 8-26-2011

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Raz,

Nice to read the first report here!

R
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

I really should go fishing some day...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Paul just let me know sometimes I just don't go because I'm solo and it could be fun to have somebody aboard
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Nice job Gerry!
Todd
MarknFish (Mark)

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Gerry - I didn't do any salmon yesterday but lots of perch as well. I was half paying attention as I played with the new Fishhawk for about 2 hours. Thanks for getting this site up!
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

A couple buddies joined me last week for a trip to the inland sea in search of the elusive salmon. We managed one small salmon, three smallmouths, and a crapload of white perch, including lots of doubles. Slide divers and downriggers, the perch didn't care. They liked the Crazy Ivans as well as the honeybees. We took a bunch of perch home for lunch. They aren't half bad as table fare.
I guess if I want salmon, I have to take Big Ben fishing again.. that guy has a magic touch..
Thanks Gerry for inviting me to join the group..
:D
BB
It's not just a unit of measure !
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Give the devil his due ... Capt. Tony and a lot of others are really above average fishermen. The one thing that almost all these have in common and all seem to agree to is that Salmon become more difficult if not impossible to catch for the next 4-6 weeks.

Last year and in other years past, I have read many postings about this phenomenon! I do not believe that all salmon quit eating. As a matter of fact, if you analyze the salmon population by year class, you will probably find that less than 30% of them in any one year are involved with an active spawning ritual.

Since I do not have the opportunity to test some of my theories or questions, let me try them on some of you.

Why are white perch so much more prevalent in your catches at this time (September) then they are in the spring, early summer and later fall. My point is that they do not co-locate during those other times with Atlantics. This gives rise to the salmon “do not eat” syndrome at this time. I believe that the important point here is that the white perch never co-locate with Atlantics. The Atlantics must have moved. If they merely went deeper, i.e. 48 degrees, you would pick them up when fishing for lakers. So if they are not mixed in with either of those two fish, (that are feeding as much as they do all year), then you have eliminated two areas.

Now using temperature as structure or a barrier and bait location as additional structure, light penetration as more structure, noise and traffic as even more structure (you get the idea) ….. that through the process of elimination, you might find greater concentrations of non-spawning salmon !!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Re: Day before the storm report
« Reply #5 Today at 10:22am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Red (on other forum)

We were out last night for a couple of hrs out of Port Douglas. Set up for salmon at 4pm. Landed 4 short salmon (13"-15"),a decent 21" salmon, and several ciscos. We had luck in deep water (150+ FOW). 21" salmon was caught down 49' and the short salmon were on the sliders and probably down 35'.

Deep water as structure, temp above deep water more structure and only salmon and ciscos. This is a blueprint .... more need to pay attention to this type of activity ... it is not luck or chance.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

tamiron wrote:Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Re: Day before the storm report
« Reply #5 Today at 10:22am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Red (on other forum)

We were out last night for a couple of hrs out of Port Douglas. Set up for salmon at 4pm. Landed 4 short salmon (13"-15"),a decent 21" salmon, and several ciscos. We had luck in deep water (150+ FOW). 21" salmon was caught down 49' and the short salmon were on the sliders and probably down 35'.

Deep water as structure, temp above deep water more structure and only salmon and ciscos. This is a blueprint .... more need to pay attention to this type of activity ... it is not luck or chance.

As I always say "go deeeeeeep" lol. I Totally agree Jim.
Todd
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Dont forget the intermediate depths just above the deep with slide divers. 150 ft on one side and 180 ft. on the other side. Fish are deep, but they will come up to hit the slides at 50' and 60' set at 150-180 ft on the counter. Fish will come up to feed out of temp. :)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report Raz, good points Jim.... And mo arguments, gotta love this forum....
Matt B
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

It could be a nice feature to "Like" a post :)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Ludo wrote:It could be a nice feature to "Like" a post :)
I've always thought that myself Ludo...lets see if it can be done!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Kingfisher
Species: YES

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks for the post Raz...I was in the sea a couple of weeks ago and the white perch kept us very busy.

Love the new forum...All the best Kingfisher