A hot day for cold Steel!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Matt
Species: Any

A hot day for cold Steel!

Post by Matt »

Planned on heading down to the Salmon Hole around 6 A.M, that didn't happen, somehow my alarm never went off ::). Oh well, got down there by 9, started from the canoe access and worked my way over to the beach area on the Winooski side. Few Fallfish before I left and headed to the beach area. Got there, water looked promising. Threw on a float about 5' above a crawler and splitshot, tossed it into where the current meets the calmer water...10 seconds after the float bobs under, set the hook...its HEAVY! I'm excited, thinking it's a big Salmon or Steelhead....then disappointment comes as a few seconds into the fight the fish doesn't even fight. 6 LB Redhorse....figures!

Made my way towards the point more, but still on the beach. Stood on some rocks where there are some whitewater flowing over rocks, threaded up a 4" Clearwater pink Berkley Powerbait Steelhead worm with a splitshot, lobbed it into the rapids and let the splitshot bounce off bottom...after about a dozen drifts, a HARD tug....tried to set the hook with no luck. I reel up my Powerbait, and the tail end of the worm is bit right off below where the hook comes out......figures!

Went through my usual lures, gold and silver Vibrax, spoons, Phoebe's, then back to crawlers. I decided to see what was in the closest swirl hole in front of me, only about 4' of water, so I let my crawler drop right after the mini waterfall..another fish on! Not too big, I reel it up...a Pike? ??? Little guy, about 14". Shook the hook out before I could get a picture. Off to the point!

As soon as I got there, I tossed my crawler rod in and let it drift down, then set it next to me and sat down to tie on another Berkley worm. Before I could even tie my hook on, my rod starts going berserk! Hard fighting SM, no more than 2 LB's. I was getting so many SM, I had to STOP using a crawler...so I went to the Berkley Powerbait for a little while. Was fishing mostly close to the point where I was fishing, but decided to give it a try and toss the worm upstream and further out than usual, into snagville...sure enough first cast right as it entered the faster water and I was expected to get snagged I was into some Steel! A small guy, but he DEVOURED that 4" Powerbait, I couldn't believe it...

Nice fighting fish, fully chrome....fresh from the Lake?

Finished off the day shortly after that, I couldn't even leave a crawler in there for more than 10 seconds before a 10" SM devoured it! Hopefully they'll be heading out soon. I got to see quite of a bit of wildlife too. A few dozen Geese(?) were on the island near the canoe access, and then this Garter snake slithered into a pile of washed up debris as I arrived.

After that, a Crane circled around all of the Salmon Hole....overall a good day besides the HEAT! That sun was killing me, and the wind barely got to me all day. Thankfully it'll be only 59 Thursday when I head back down...water is almost at normal levels right now as well. Until next time! ;D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: A hot day for cold Steel!

Post by Reelax »

1st Steel of the season! Nice work Matt.... Thanks for the read....
Matt B
Matt

Post by Matt »

Reelax wrote:1st Steel of the season! Nice work Matt.... Thanks for the read....
Second, first was yesterday :D
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I guess it's time to leave the boat home and travel the 1/4 mile to the Hole. I need to break out my flyrod and see what kind of a mess I can make.
Thanks for the great info. and pics.
Matt

Post by Matt »

fishmaster176 wrote:I guess it's time to leave the boat home and travel the 1/4 mile to the Hole. I need to break out my flyrod and see what kind of a mess I can make.
Thanks for the great info. and pics.
You might see me down there this weekend, I'll be wearing a Simms vest with a net on my back, and a yellow styrafoam worm container. If you see me don't be afraid to chat, I'd love to talk to some fellow forum members whenever I get the chance.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Way to go Matt! I'm thinkin we're going to see lots of pics of fish in your net this year!
Your off to a great start!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Matt, this weekend we pack for a week at Grand Isle State Park and lots of boat time. We have a lakeside site and a view that can't be matched. We've been doing this for 10 years in September. It's been a very tough year and we need a good vacation. The forecast looks pretty good, but we'll see how that works.
Hopefully, I'll be able to post a few pics. If not fish then big smiley faces enjoying the time off.