Inland Sea 9/11/11

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Inland Sea 9/11/11

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Hi,
Because of what we saw down south Saturday, we decided to fish the inland sea Sunday. We started a little later than yesterday and arrived the the sandbar around 8am. We started out just south west of Cedar and fished the 90' contour at a depth of 50' or so and then made pass around the same area around 120'. Again, we found white perch (some nicer ones) but we threw them all back. We also tried fishing a bit deeper to 70' but the same results.

We then tried fishing the eastern shore up from the sandbar at the 120' contour, same thing.. white perch.

We then went back across the channel and fished the 120 countor on the eastern side of savage and fish bladder at a 60-70'. We did catch the same thing, white perch. But the sonar readings here showed really strong lines of fish at 70 and 90 feet. It was different here than in other areas of the south end of the sea. I did also try sitting still and jigging a Swedish Pimple lure down 70-90 feet but no takers on that. It's always hard for me to tell just what I'm marking with the sonar. They were arches, but it could have been junk, who knows.
All I know Salmon weren't coming up on our lines.

We headed over to Heros welcome for lunch only to find their docks were damaged and they didn't want any large boats to tie up so back out to the lake and Gull Island on empty stomachs. Luckily the bass action was heavy so we forgot about the lack of lunch. We picked up a dozen nice bass, the biggest a 3 lb 2 oz small mouth which fought like a 4 pounder (he seriously bent our worm hook and I don't believe I've ever seen with any bass before). The rest were a healthy 1.0 - 2 lb with the average around 1.5. When we started there were a few bass boats around and every time we looked up we saw a new one. There had to be a tourney going on because of all the fancy boats/uniforms. We were pulling them up left and right on the Senkos and we didn't see any of the 'pros' do a whole lot.

One day we're going to enter one of these bass tourneys and show up in our cruiser. :lol:

Once really nice thing about the day, we didn't have to dodge a single piece of wood and the water was relatively clear.

Terri
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Inland Sea 9/11/11

Post by raz »

During the spring flooding, the Sea was the cleanest, most fish-able place to be (that I checked). It's always a great place to spend time on the water.
If you guys can keep the big cruiser in the water until late fall...you're going to have a riot in the Sea. The landlocks go crazy!

Shot-gun start Bass Tourney with a big cruiser...that would be fun! Winning or placing would be the icing on the cake!
Thanks for the report!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

You don't have to get there fast, you just need to get back on time. And catch limit while you're out. I've never met a fish that demanded a certain kind of boat before nailing a lure. I'd want pics of that shotgun start.
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

When we started bass fishing (in our '86 Galaxy admiral cuddy) we had serious bass boat envy but we couldn't see having 2 boats as both of us have kids and tubing/skiing was still a big thing and I can't see having a family barbeque out on the lake on a bass boat :o . Now our youngest are 20 and while they'll still go tubing, they don't spend their time on the lake with us... girlfriends (my youngest son) and boyfriends (Chris's youngest daughter) take up most of their time and they're back to college now anyways. But we enjoy staying over night on the lake and a few comforts so I think our path is set now. Salmon fishing looked like a good use of our boat to feed our fishing hunger... so I hope they show up soon!

But gosh wouldn't it be nice being able to sit on one place and fish structure and not have the wind determine your path... :roll:
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Raz wrote:During the spring flooding, the Sea was the cleanest, most fish-able place to be (that I checked). It's always a great place to spend time on the water.
If you guys can keep the big cruiser in the water until late fall...you're going to have a riot in the Sea. The landlocks go crazy!

Shot-gun start Bass Tourney with a big cruiser...that would be fun! Winning or placing would be the icing on the cake!
Thanks for the report!

Hi Raz, not sure we can stay in that long, I think our place starts pulling docks around the first of October. When could we start catching do you think?
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Sample of Gull Island Reef small mouth... caught this weekend of 21st of August.
That's Butler Island in the background.
330295_1974834779946_1515361982_32001751_3839572_o.jpg
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

I love fishing Gull Island

I landed this nice 5.5 lb 22 inch Smallie at Gull Island earlier this summer

Was fishng with some random ultra lite rod that was in the boat storage when the salmon bite slowed down. First cast was a 4lber and the second cast was this hog. All released. This fish gave me a fight I will not soon forget, fishing in 20 fow with 4lb test and an ultra lite rod, and it took probably close to 15 minutes to get this one close enough to net. I remember making a comment to my fishing buddy as she was landing fish, that I was still fighting the fish from the second cast. We caught 10 or so nice small mouths in little under an hour on that reef.

Sometimes it is nice to switch from Cold to Cool water.
Attachments
3ca922c1.jpg
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Wow, never caught a smallie over 5 lbs. We've caught large mouths that big but can't fish the shallows very well with our current boat. For Champlain, that's one nice fish!
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Vtfishinglady wrote:Hi Raz, not sure we can stay in that long, I think our place starts pulling docks around the first of October. When could we start catching do you think?
Mid October? Maybe a little later?
It really fires up good in November...the kind of fired up where you can't keep your lines in the water!!!
Gerry
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Raz wrote:
Vtfishinglady wrote:Hi Raz, not sure we can stay in that long, I think our place starts pulling docks around the first of October. When could we start catching do you think?
Mid October? Maybe a little later?
It really fires up good in November...the kind of fired up where you can't keep your lines in the water!!!
Thanks Raz, maybe we can figure a way to get a couple of extra weeks and taste what it's like. I'd really like to feel what it's like to land a nice salmon.

Terri
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

VFL - I'm sure if your boat is put away you'll have no trouble hitching a ride with someone to experience the frostbite. We all school up and fish together come November. Strength in numbers!
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

MarknFish (Mark) wrote:VFL - I'm sure if your boat is put away you'll have no trouble hitching a ride with someone to experience the frostbite. We all school up and fish together come November. Strength in numbers!
Mark, thank you.. that's very kind. Maybe we'll have to make the request if we can't figure out how to stay in.

Terri
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

I was out on the sea both days and they were super slow. Was out first thing to noonish. Did catch a monster of a smallie that was suspended at 25 feet in 40fow off cowbanks but lost it at the boat. Salmon bite will pick up. Im always on channel 68. If you want to get together and fish sometime let me know a fleet of chicks would be sweet. Im out every weekend :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

WildFisherWoman wrote:I was out on the sea both days and they were super slow. Was out first thing to noonish. Did catch a monster of a smallie that was suspended at 25 feet in 40fow off cowbanks but lost it at the boat. Salmon bite will pick up. Im always on channel 68. If you want to get together and fish sometime let me know a fleet of chicks would be sweet. Im out every weekend :D
Sounds great WildFisherWoman. I am planning on being down south this weekend if the lake is somewhat settled (1' or less) but if it's nasty I'll probably just go around to the Inland sea again, in which case we'll hail you to meet or compare notes.

Terri
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Could that be the making of a frostbite team?
Hmmm...interesting.
Gerry