fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Post by fishy1 »

my ist attempt in a trout pond today with a 19 degree temperature and snow flurries. the ist pond i planned on hitting ist was one mile in on a bushwhack trail that holds browns and brookies. started fishing at 7 am until 9:15 am with no takers not even a bite. had one rod rigged with a bobber and lure of choice a dillie. the other rod i also had a dillie on but with a sliding sinker to hold it on bottom.
as i was leaving i decided to bushwhack to another pond that usually holds some nice brookies and i have done well there in the past. got there and started fishing about 10:20 am and fished until noon with the same 2 set ups. 0 takers and 0 bites.
i saw one fish all morning chasing bait 2 beavers 6 geese and 1 deer. im hopeing it warms up soon.
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu May 09, 2019 4:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
rockman
Species: trout, bass

Re: fishing update trout ponds 2016

Post by rockman »

Thank you for your post....I've been contemplating a trip to some ponds and have not been able to get any decent info about conditions. This helps my planning a lot.
Ryan Ball
Species: fish

Post by Ryan Ball »

Have been trying a lot of spots in saranac lake area with pretty much same result. Only got into some stockies but everything keeps icing over every other day with these cold temps.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the 2 ponds i bushwhacked to this morning still had ice on 3 corners. thanks ryan for an update on your area which ill soon be hitting i hope. another fisherman who has been up there where you are told me the same results. seems like the trend right now.
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

Post by NHfishin4fun »

fishy1,
I thought I was addicted to fishing but you are hands down more hardcore with the time you put in and the conditions you fish! No doubt when you hook up you've earned every fish you get plus 1! Go get 'em and good luck!
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Same results in the streams over by me, Matt. After a such a warm winter, who would've figured the water would just refuse to warm up in the spring!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

NHfishin4fun wrote:fishy1,
I thought I was addicted to fishing but you are hands down more hardcore with the time you put in and the conditions you fish! No doubt when you hook up you've earned every fish you get plus 1! Go get 'em and good luck!
thanks. every day fishing is a challenge . this morning my hands were numb and my rod guides all iced up but i guess thats what its all about. i really think if i would have stayed in the ist pond and waited for the sun to come out i would have hooked into a nice brown because i know there in there. looking at hitting another pond sunday morning this one 3.2 miles from the road and holds only brookies.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:Same results in the streams over by me, Matt. After a such a warm winter, who would've figured the water would just refuse to warm up in the spring!
same there wow and your alot farthur south than us. on a good note vt matt fished 2 streams here where i live and landed 3 steelhead and 2 small ones. met up with him at 3 pm close to home. i should have stayed near home i guess and fished the tribs.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/10/2016 decided to bushwhack back to my 2nd choice saturday which holds just brookies. very cold in the morning with a 10 mph north wind so i decided to leave the house at 11:30 am and should be fishing by 12:30 pm with a bright sun on the water. put on my artic parka bibs and gloves and headed in hoping the bite would be there later in the day. wind was gusty so i rigged both rods with slip sinkers and one single snell hook and a dillie for bait. my ist cast is always the longest and then my 2nd rod will be about half the distance of my ist one. before i even got my 2nd rod hooked with a dillie fish on my ist brookie in 2016. threw it back out and rigged my 2nd rod and threw it out. set it on the crotched stick and my ist rod was going wild running my line out at a super speed picked it up and fish on a real nice 12 inch brookie. then in about 15 minutes or so nothing when my 2nd rod the closest to me takes off and i lift the rod up and fish on and a fighter a nice 14 inch fat brookie. what a start in the blustery wind. fished another 2 hours and went home. i landed 7 decent brook trout and missed 4 all in about 3 hours
here is my ist brookie of 2016Image
image sharing sitesImage
how to capture screen
this one was 14 inchesImage
adult photo sharing

a 12 incher
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Nice fish. Beautiful colors on them. Thanks for sharing!!!!
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Absolutely beautiful brookie fish1! Especially for the cold conditions. Congrats on a great start!
EagleEd7
Species: Trout

Post by EagleEd7 »

Matt:

Beautiful brookie and I will be kept from fishing until May 2nd due to my cataract surgery on both eyes. Best news is my vision is tremendous with a visit to my surgeon tomorrow @ 3pm for possible prescription for eye glasses that I haven't worn since my surgery was completed.
Hope to get up your way in the rivers/creeks with Eagle Crg after the above clearance schedule. In the meantime I will be loading up my winnings at the Saratoga Racino.

Eagle Ed
blackfly
Species: all

Post by blackfly »

NICE FISH
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Coolest colors I've seen on a fish in a long time!
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

Nice fish Matt. Hope this means that the ponds are starting to heat up. Seems like we're getting March's weather in April.