fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 9/17/2017 wild browns page 15

Post by keithm87 »

What are they reclaiming from? were a lot of these ponds victims of bucket biology northern introductions? seems like an interesting idea.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

t is a reclamation?
• The use of chemicals to poison competing
fish species in a pond or stream
• Followed by restocking of desired species
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/3 and 10/4/2018 hit 2 road side ponds yesterday and today and landed about 25 brookies mostly females. it was relaxing after climbing the steep mtns to fish. heading back up high tommorrow with a forum member and will be more members joining me until the season closes oct 15th. will keep you updated .ImageImagepostimage org browse
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/5/2018 had a guest today to climb the big mtn with me a forum member reel fun (ed) after the hour climb we set up in a different spot to spread put 5 rods out but no bites due to heavy grass on bottom so we moved across the pond and immediatly had bites in the deeper water catch some nice fish. then about 2 hours went by and the bite slowed so i suggested to ed my other spot and if it wasnt to muddy we could finish the day out and it was a good move . the brookies wernt that aggressive today and we were missing or losing lots. but everyone we caught were from 11 inches to over 13 and we landed around 25 let all females go and kept 9 7 males and 2 females. ed does taxidermy on the side from his regular job. ed did my brown last fall and did a great job. well today he saw ist hand how the cameras dont do the brookies justice when there caught. he was just amazed and said he was glad he took the day off from work. we had fun the weather was chilly up there but sunny.
ImageImageImage

Imageonline image hostingImageImageImage
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Beautiful scenery and the photo of ED and the Male Brooke is spectacular. Nice job Matt & ED
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! Nice reports, Matt! Looks like you're having an excellent fall.

I don't have a lot to report. I took a couple afternoon hikes to ADK trout ponds and didn't catch much-- a couple small rainbows.

Night fished a VT pond, and caught a big brown.

Yesterday, I hiked the 2.4 miles to an ADK pond with a date. The brookies weren't biting. There was a guy already there on a canoe, and he didn't seem to be catching anything, either. He left before too long.

We were casting lures- mostly Phoebes. We stayed for a long time, and worked our way all around the pond. Eventually we both caught perfect eating-sized brookies, around 11 inches. Both were female. One had eggs, but the other didn't. That was my date's first brookie! We kept them for dinner- delicious! I released a couple more similar females, and I was really surprised that I hadn't caught any males. Because I thought they would be aggressive, in spawning mode. Right at dusk, as we were about to leave I finally caught a big male! I don't know if I've ever seen such a humped back on a brookie! And his color was deep red. Must have been 16 inches. No pics, sorry.

Last October, during the spawn, in the same pond, I kept some males and they really didn't taste good. So I was a little reluctant to keep fish during the spawn. However, these two 11-inch females tasted great!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

wow trout crazy welcome back to the fishing world. good reports. kind of wondering which ponds you were targeting. the pond where you caught the big male i have seen those big males swim by in the fall cruising the shoreline. were they busting water at all that given day.
im glad your date caught her ist brookie hope she is hooked now. i cant understand having bad brookies to eat i never have . i wonder what the diet was with them males.
how come no pics? would have liked to see that big male brookie.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/8/2018 hit a trout pond this morning in search of the spawning male brookie for alayna to have mounted. left the house stopped for coffee and got to the pond and what we saw was not what i wanted to see. all parking was closed off including the fishing access ugh for hikers as they didnt allow them to use these trail heads. talked to a proffessional photographer and and he was a little upset due to no access to get the pics he wanted. went down little farthur and there was a bank that alayna and i went down carefully but it was shallow there and no bites alyana got cold so headed to another roadside pond got there and the rain started. fished awhile and she got cold again . so headed home and stopped at the kids fishing pond and alayna caught a rainbow. a very dissapointed day in our quest to get a male brookie. season ends oct 15th and she has school. ugh. hopefully everything reopens tommorrow. the 2nd pond holds brookies but have never caught spawners there either.Image
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I read in my NY DEC news feed, where they are limiting access in some High Peaks areas, due to overcrowding and blocking the roadway with hikers getting out of their vehicles, lollygagging around, and using the road for a sidewalk, creating a traffic hazzard.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/9/2018 went to a roadside trout pond and had a special guest and a local guy from here in moriah. he is a facebook freind and asked me to teach him some of my ways of fishing and has never caught a trout in a pond. very warm today so we stayed close to home and roadside . the bite started slow and i was telling bill how the trout can roam the ponds and turn on. bill said this place is beautiful and im learning some of your fishing methods and thats all that matters. when we got bites they wernt aggressive and we would miss them then finally about 8 am i land a brookie. then nothing for awhile and about half hour later bill misses one by closing the bail and winding. explained to him how you just need to close the bail and let the fish tighten up you will feel the weight of his run and most of the time there hooked. so then he started watching me and got the hang of it and soon he lands his ist brookie ever . his face lit up and i gave him a high five. then things settled down until around 10:30 am when 2 rods had runs same time and we both caught one i said bill get ready there here and hungry. then around 10:40 am one of my bites was just shaking the line like a big minnow bite so i didnt pick it up sat down and the line stiffened up like it was stuck bending the rod stood up grabbed closed the bail and fish on a big one. i didnt have time to hold it as it was running north went under a submerge tree and wrapped the line around the tree. ugh opened the bail after the fish not getting unhooked just as i was setting the rod down it took off and i got broke off. bill says you just lost a wall mounter rainbow. all i could say is yup def a bow. we fished until noon catching several small brookies but bill was a happy guy. showed him where he could put his kayak in if he came back there and he said he is coming back.Image
bills ist brookie
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Looks like you had a great time together. The pond looks so calm and inviting.
Congrats Bill on his first brookie.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/12/2018 hit the big steep hill again today with another forum member from quebec Windknot (nathan) took our time heading up and started fishing a little after 8 am. on the east side of the pond right into a gusty wind. forecast was 2 mph till noon and 2 % rain both wrong rained sleet and snow all morning with at least 10 to 15 mph winds and gusty. headed to the west side of the pond to break some of the wind. they were hitting my worms before they hit the bottom and landed 6 before we moved across. made no difference got to the other side and the bite was there also. wow were they nathan was having a blast. and the bite didnt stop until we left at 2 pm. when you had a lull then a little while later you would have 2 or 3 runs the same time. the climb nathan says was worth it . we landed about 35 brookies and although we didnt measure them all were sure we did not catch one under 11 inches. in the afternoon we caught the best colored males the best i ever caught just beautiful. nathan is already coming back with me next year. season ends monday oct 15 th here in nyImageImageImage[[url=https://postimg.cc/Hczk1j6w]Image/url]ImageImageImageImageImage
9 in the pail 5 nathan took back ot quebec and i kept 4 all badly hooked. i also caught that salamander

Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Absolutely magnificent looking brookes you Boys got.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

It was a fantastic day thanks Matt! Quite the climb to get up there but well worth it. Im glad we were well dressed because it already feels like winter in the higher elevations. Here's a few more pics:
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Like yeasterday beautiful fish and phitos