fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 9/17/2017 wild browns page 15

Post by fishy1 »

10/14/2018 hit a roadside pond today probably for the last time since trout season ends monday at midnight and rain in the forecast for most of the morning. it wasnt to productive either as i landed 6 brookies 4 white suckers and 3 bullhead. 28 degrees when i got there at 7:30 am. saw 3 bust water. took some last pics of where i was and will post them tonight. had a good fall and had some good company now for the rivers and the lake for salmon lakers browns and steelies.
ImageImageImageImage
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow, you've really been getting into those brookies! Great fishing!
I'm heading out in a few minutes with my sister to fish the last day of NY trout season. Going to try a new pond-- haha I half expected to run into you there!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/15/2018 the last day of trout season ended today not like i wanted with rain falling early and very few runs. landed 1 small brookie maybe 8 inches . i was at the roadside pond due to the rain i didnt want to go to far off the road. wished i would have now but dont know if it would have made a difference i think maybe the brookies are spawning or on their nests. saw no activity in 2 days. i had a great fall and i got my exercise had some great company. caught a bunch of brookies a nice brown and lost a beast when i fell in. never fished that spot again just to steep and no footing. got me a 8 foot field and stream angler for next year to get me to those kind of spots. i have the rest of october to try vemont might try it. here is a couple of pics from today.ImageImagescreen shot toolImageImagephoto hosting sites
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I made the steep hike to a small pond. There were people camping right by the pond, making a lot of noise and commotion. There was also a guy fishing in a canoe. That must have been a strenuous hike!

The bite was slow.

I caught one 12" brookie and kept it for supper. The canoe guy caught two-- one was released but one was injured and he wasn't going to eat it so I took it.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Very nice pics Matt, and very calm water. So peaceful.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I hiked to a VT pond today in the afternoon, with a friend who doesn't usually fish. It was more about the walk and the company, but of course I can't hike without a fishing pole :lol: I've been skunked in this pond a half dozen times, never caught a thing there, and didn't really expect to catch anything.

We worked our way around the lake, stopping to cast wherever we could both fit on the shore. The shore wasn't easy to cast from, and it was shallow in many places. Finally we found a nice big flat rock to sit on, where the water dropped off pretty quickly. I counted 33 seconds for my 1/8 oz Phoebe to drop to the bottom. It's a gold Phoebe, and I replaced the treble hook with a #4 Owner Mosquito Light hook.

Sitting there, casting, we saw a couple fish break the surface. I cast to the second one, and BOOM fish on as soon as my lure hit water! Then it starts swimming right at me and I'm reeling as fast as I can, just to keep pressure on it. Suddenly it jumps about 3 feet up and I see it's a giant rainbow. ZZZZZZZZZ I'm fishing 6-pound test, and I'm outclassed. Lots more ZZZZZZZZZ and then it makes a quick series of 5 leaps! Holy cow. This thing just wasn't getting tired. After several more runs I almost got it in the net, but it got its head turned for one more run. Finally got it head-first into the net. Whew! That was a long fight.

24" and fat as a football! I think it's my best rainbow yet! Definitely the best fighter. I was glad for the single light hook, as the hook came right out with no injury. I didn't even take the fish out of the water, and it didn't waste any time getting out of that net when I released it. Perfect!
Attachments
big rainbow.jpg
big rainbow.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 27693 times
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

wow andric great report it was like being with you. that is a awsome looking bow. what i found about rainbows is when they bite they bite and when they dont bite they dont. for instance ill slam the bows in a pond one day then go back 4 or 5 more times soon and the bow catch will be 0. you hit this pond just right congratulations on a beautiful bow. glad you brought your rod because you never know. the adirondack pond 2.4 miles you have fished holds bows did you get any out of there?
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice rainbow Andric. Your perseverance finally paid off.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

That is a beast. And the colors are Beautiful. Congrats
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

fishy1 wrote:wow andric great report it was like being with you. that is a awsome looking bow. what i found about rainbows is when they bite they bite and when they dont bite they dont. for instance ill slam the bows in a pond one day then go back 4 or 5 more times soon and the bow catch will be 0. you hit this pond just right congratulations on a beautiful bow. glad you brought your rod because you never know. the adirondack pond 2.4 miles you have fished holds bows did you get any out of there?
Thanks!
I haven't caught a bow in that adk pond. I saw a big one once, though.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Nice bow!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:
fishy1 wrote:wow andric great report it was like being with you. that is a awsome looking bow. what i found about rainbows is when they bite they bite and when they dont bite they dont. for instance ill slam the bows in a pond one day then go back 4 or 5 more times soon and the bow catch will be 0. you hit this pond just right congratulations on a beautiful bow. glad you brought your rod because you never know. the adirondack pond 2.4 miles you have fished holds bows did you get any out of there?
Thanks!
I haven't caught a bow in that adk pond. I saw a big one once, though.
like i told you bows in pond are a hard catch you need to put your time in that pond and when you get into them they will be big and will fight like crazy . been there many times and hit them only 3 or 4 times and they were huge bring a net. sometimes the brookies in there dont give them space. hit that pond and the other early in the spring and it will pay off.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow great story in the big rainbow! Thanks for the read and great pic...
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/25/2018 christmas day and ed barber got my male brook trout in spawing colors done for my son for christmas. these male brookies were earned and came from a high peaks pond straight up and straight down. here are some pics from today.Imagefree screenshotImageImage
my pond brown trout above my sons brookie also done by ed barberImageImage
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 12/25/2018 my sons mounted male brookies

Post by Sawyer »

They look fantastic.