fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

5/14/2019 headed down to my freinds camp again to check on it with more heavy rain last night. took out a new clown krocodile to try out. ist cast freight train hit and i land a nice salmon put it in my new net and released it. 4th cast another freight train hit and fish on and i land another in my net . 11 cast another freight train hit and i land another salmon and put it in my net then maybe 10 minutes later another freight train hit and fish on i land another salmon. then the north wind picked up and the rain came down so i headed for the vehicle. 40 minutes if fishing and i was 4 for 4. a big reason i was 4 for 4 was all 4 salmon stayed down never busting water once. very unusual. kept my limit of 2 for dinnerImageImageImagesuntrust bank locations near me

Sawyer
Species: All

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by Sawyer »

your amazing Matt
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice!
How is the water looking down there? Last time I stopped by it was quite muddy, and I didn't fish long before giving up.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

4 in 40 minutes.... nothing wrong with that.
Won't be able to fish Champlain before fall as I will be heading to my summer home in Ocean City in 2 weeks.
Always a pleasure to read your posts Matt.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:4 in 40 minutes.... nothing wrong with that.
Won't be able to fish Champlain before fall as I will be heading to my summer home in Ocean City in 2 weeks.
Always a pleasure to read your posts Matt.
gerry have a great summer down there fill us in on your fishing trips
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/21/2019 had a very short window today so i headed down to my freinds camp for some casting. put on that clown 1/4 ounce krocodile to see if it will work again. started fishing at 6:40 am and about the 6 or 7th cast had a thunderous hit 6 feet from me busting water and pounding my rod tip but still didnt know what was on the end of the line . made 3 or 4 runs with the drag zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing then i reached for the net and put it in a real chunky steelhead. hurried to a quick pic and put it back to bite again. then i land a nice pickeral and this was going home for dinner. awhile later and good hit and noone home. then just before i was leaving a freight train hit and fish on a nice salmon 1 jump 2 jumps and gone. in 45 minutes i was 2 for 4. highlight of the morning the water is under the small trees at the camp and saw a fish bust water in there a real nice size salmon. i love my new net Imagechase bank close to me
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

I'm looking for a little help/guidance. My morning ritual is the check and see what adventures Fishy1 and all of the other great anglers that post on this forum had yesterday. The last two evenings I've found pods of salmon feeding near shore. I know they are salmon because I have had several of them follow almost to my feet a number of the 30 different lures and flies I have thrown at them the last 2 days. What's going on with these fish? Why would they chase and not bite any of my offerings? I watched a 20"+ fish inhale a 2" minnow when it refused the 2" lures and flies that it had followed of mine before. I would love to hear all of your thoughts. Thanks in advance and keep up the great posts!
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Someone with more experience than me (like Fishy1) will probably chime in soon, but here are my thoughts. I love the kind of fishing you're talking about because it gives an opportunity to really study the fish.

When they follow but don't bite, I usually take it to mean that I'm not quite giving them the right presentation. Maybe the color is wrong. Maybe the action is wrong. Maybe the speed is wrong-- this one gets me sometimes-- I think that they're finicky so I retrieve slowly but it turns out they just wanted it faster.
Or maybe they can see me, or they can see my line making a mess on the water when it's calm.

What kinds of lures are you throwing?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Try a little smelt rite on your spoons to help them want to eat them... just a thought
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

sacospinner that is a good question and it happens alot salmon are spooky like a brown but not as much. ist ill try to explain my experiences salmon dont usually hit when you are seen they flip away from your lure. most of my salmon hit about 3 to 10 feet from shore just out of seeing distance then it depends on water clarity to. up north when i im casting even the lakers will shy away when seen salmon more so though. i usually stand back a little up north where i can water clarity up there is much better than down here where i fish. here are a few suggestions to try and improve your catch use the countdown method for your depth after casting hold your rod down almost even with the water when reeling not up and always reel at the same pace my reels are 6.1 so they are faster than most so it actually looks like im reeling slower than most but im not. pay attention to your rod tip all the time dont take your eyes off it because any head movement in close will spook them plus you will see whats following and in some spots you can stop and jig a few times for them to antagonize them. i only use casting honey bees and krocodiles casting especially down here im only fishing 3 to 7 fow. rainbow 2 and 1/4 inch krocs 3/8 ounce is my favorite along with the fishy1 and rainbow trout pattern honey bees when the condition is right for them. i hardly use the fishy1 because everyone will think its because it was named for me but the guys here that use them in the rivers casting and trolling out fish all of the rest. they catch lakers to and browns a guy here trolling over the weekend landed a 7 lb brown on it and 3 salmon. i dont know where your fishing and depths but most of your hits are going to be within 20 feet from you have your drag set . if you were a salmon wouldnt you eat the live bait before your artificial? oh here is my big thing i tie direct to the lure no snaps or swivels they do crazy things to your lure and that swivel in front of your lure is just not natural my opionion. i watch them when reeling and they even keep your lure up to far in the water column where the fish can spot you. hope this all helps and if you need anymore info im here would like to see some pics and reports from you. your handle is sacospinner is that for the saco river?
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

fishy1 is correct about spooking fish...

I used to stream fish in VT a lot. Whenever possible I avoided giving any following fish a silhouette of myself as I retrieved. Especially when fishing from the tail end of a deep pool.
I would try to make my casts from in front of a tree, behind a tree or bush, or just stoop over as I retrieved. Based on my experience, a following fish of any size will break off when it sees a fisherman's silhouette. Bright sun and calm water near the fisherman makes things even worse.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

Thanks everyone for the info! After reading your replies I believe my silhouette was a big part of the problem, I was trying to see the take instead of just fishing. When I would move back away from the water to tie on another streamer fly or spoon or pin minnow or swim shad or ...(You get the idea) the feeding activity increased 10 fold. I threw everything I had at them including a worm on a bare hook, what fish won't eat that?

Fishy1- I did move here from NH where my home water was the Saco river. The brown trout go crazy in the beginning of June feeding on the light Hendrickson spinner fall just as it begins to get dark out. It's my favorite time to fish. I'm actually heading out there this weekend to do a little fishing.

Thanks again for all of your posts, this forum has taught me a lot about fishing Champlain and the only fish I haven't caught yet is a salmon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sacospinner wrote:Thanks everyone for the info! After reading your replies I believe my silhouette was a big part of the problem, I was trying to see the take instead of just fishing. When I would move back away from the water to tie on another streamer fly or spoon or pin minnow or swim shad or ...(You get the idea) the feeding activity increased 10 fold. I threw everything I had at them including a worm on a bare hook, what fish won't eat that?

Fishy1- I did move here from NH where my home water was the Saco river. The brown trout go crazy in the beginning of June feeding on the light Hendrickson spinner fall just as it begins to get dark out. It's my favorite time to fish. I'm actually heading out there this weekend to do a little fishing.

Thanks again for all of your posts, this forum has taught me a lot about fishing Champlain and the only fish I haven't caught yet is a salmon.
we fish the saco river in maine for stripers and browns just got back from there but didnt fish much our 50th anniverary we spent 4 days near there
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tmcaul wrote:fishy1 is correct about spooking fish...

I used to stream fish in VT a lot. Whenever possible I avoided giving any following fish a silhouette of myself as I retrieved. Especially when fishing from the tail end of a deep pool.
I would try to make my casts from in front of a tree, behind a tree or bush, or just stoop over as I retrieved. Based on my experience, a following fish of any size will break off when it sees a fisherman's silhouette. Bright sun and calm water near the fisherman makes things even worse.
yes tom lots laugh at me in the rivers when i get behind a rock or tree but it works.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/31/2019 its not frostbite fishing anymore but i went north this morning to see what the clown krocodile would do. got there at 6: 30 am and cloudy and a north wind. 8 am no hits then had company justin came down to check on me we talked awhile about our health issues then he left around 8:30 am and the sun came out and wow did the clown start to work 4th cast a freight train hit and fish on and big one zzzzzzzzzzzzing my drag and heading north . dont know how long the battle was but seemed like forever not knowin what was on the end of the line. finally got it in after missing it with net and him jumping out it was a laker and a 11 lb laker. i couldnt revive it so when i filleted it it was bleeding alot internally from bouncing off the rocks water is high and shallow there where i landed it. it took a beating. after awhile got back to casting and wow another freight train hit and a big one got it in after while took a quick pic and released it about 10 lbs. then i caught a smaller one then lost a big one and then one more hit and i had to leave. i was 3 for 5 impressive morning for me love that shore casting and the fights are incredible . if i had only caught 1 it would have been a success. all 5 hits were within 40 minutes. the sun came out and the clown went to work. im impressed. no im not in the rotary this year but thats okay to i would have been out in a boat and just maybe wouldnt have got any big lakers.ImageImagenearest barclays bank
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.