fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

11/9/2018 headed north after sleeping in from my night before st lawrence river trip got up to my destination at 8:45 am nad eric was there wiht 1 hit. 3rd cast with a copper kastmaster freight train hit and fish on only to shake loose a decent laker to. the very next cast freight train hit fish on i land a smaller laker badly hooked so kept it for a freind. eric was scrambling for something dark and didnt have anything so i had him go through my box. a while later we decided to take a walk on the shore line sight fishing didnt see much but we did see 1 silver bust water. eric then went home and i stayed waiting for trout crazy as he was on the way. andric and i shared some spots for his hobie and my boat then he left for somewhere a good distance away. i landed another laker and i left there for some pheasnat hunting 3 for 6.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I ended up casting to a bunch of salmon that I could see in the lake. They were all colored up. I caught one on a rainbow kroc with a single siwash hook, then I decided to switch to a light, barbless hook. I really like this trick, lately, when there are a lot of fish and I don't intend to keep any. I can release them without even handling them, sometimes. I caught a couple that way, and then I started casting a spoon with no hook! Just to see what they would bite. After a while, I think they caught on to my presence, and they stopped biting.

I didn't end up putting my kayak in. By the time I got to the intended launch, the weather had changed a little. I but I was having a good time with my feet on the ground. So I explored the shore and scouted for new spots.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/12/2018 headed north this morning for some frostbite shore fishing but might put my boat in depending on wind. got there around 8:15 am with a pretty good south wind and 31 degrees so i decided to shore fish. 3 rd cast with a rainbow krocodile fish i land a small laker. then awhile later sun went down under clouds so i started casting a copper kastmaster within 5 minutes a hit and miss then shortly after a freight train hit and fish on i land a good size laker. then went an hour with one hit so i decided to explore north where i scouted last week and got permission to fish guys vacant property. started fishing there around 10 am or so and my very ist cast with a rainbow kroc fish on i land a 15 or 16 inch salmon. my 4th or 5th cast 25 feet away i have a thunderous hit and busting water on the end of my line is a big steelhead holy moly how was i going to land this from where i was with no net and 4 foot above the water on the guys little ledge. was looking for a way to get down to water level but there was none. after about a 5 minute battle with the drag on fire it shook loose. ugh. soon after the fish started busting water all over i was overwhelmed of the beauty of some of the flight of salmon some 3 to 5 across the top of the water. well to make a long story short i was catching nice salmon it seemed like every 4 th cast. somewhere after 11 am i heard someone yelling my name looked way over down the road and it was wayne so i left to meet him. after about 15 minutes talking to wayne i asked him if he wanted to join me he said he didnt have permission i said it will be okay with me. he asked me how i did i said 10 for 12 salmon and lost a steelhead. he was shocked he said there in that shallow water where you can see bottom.i said yop and noone is going to beleive it so lets get some more. my 2nd cast fish on busting water and it shakes loose then wayne has one bust water 10 feet from him and a big one . then they started bustin water closer tom me and i ahve another hit and fish on i land a salmon. wayne said he would like to eat it so i said okay ill bring him up and he is yours. shortly after i land another a bigger one pulled him up and gave it to wayne . i said wayne thats my limit there both yours now catch your. wayne never got a hit where he was ugh. from after 10 am to 12:30 am i was 12 for 17 salmon and lost the big steelie. who would ever thought i would do that well in that very shallow spot. :o :o :o

troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Incredible! What a day! I knew there were salmon hanging out in the shallows, but what a surprise to hear about the steelhead!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Incredible! What a day! I knew there were salmon hanging out in the shallows, but what a surprise to hear about the steelhead!
andric i also sight fished 2 lakers there just laying on bottom
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/14/2018 a true frostbite day this morning 25 degrees with a stiff northwest wind and i decided to try my shallow spot again. had to wear gloves this morning and pam spray doing okay but not great on guides. my trilene big game was okay just the small guides on my salmon/steelhead rod iceing up. stuck it out for 2 hours with only 1 hit and did not sight fish any. 10 am decided to go pheasant hunting got there and didnt dare to get near any trees as branches were flying everywhere with the howling wind. hunted 1/3 hour and left no pheasants did here some cackling close by in some high grass. didnt see another fisherman anywhere today . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Haha I went out for a short time. That wind was too much!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/15/2018 hit the lqke north this morning after and hour of pheasant hunting. temperature was 15 degrees at 9 am brrrrr with slight wind. but the salmon were very active in 1 to 3 fow as i was 4 for 6 and some nice ones 20 inch plus all released but it wasnt easy i was on the guys dock far up from the water. i lost a good one i couldnt get it up the wall so it shook off . took a couple of pics of the salmon schools coming in and out dancing and busting water. ill post 2 pics but they are hard to find in the pics but they are there . if they are still there next week will get my camera closer to the water and not zoom it in as much. dont know if most of you have ever seen salmon dance before its awsome to watch this they keeping turning on their sided and also flip all the way over sometimes. its incredible i call it the salmon dance. anyway i have to do a better job taking pics as there right at my feet in less 1 fow. looking forward to getting back up there with my freind eric who is away playing steel for the gibson bros tour which started at the grand ole oprey. hoping he gets some on his fly rod.Image
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/19/2018 after a day of deer hunting with chawk in ghent ny saturday and sunday taking off to do some thanksgiving shopping and heading to red lobster headed back up for some frostbite shore fishing this time chasing those salmon again. got there at 8 am with a slight breeze and 34 degrees said to myself going to be a nice morning. not much going on and didnt see any salmon by 8:30 am but i knew they would come in so i needed to be patient and hold my spot. well about 9 am saw some coming in not far from me busting water in about 10 inches of water if that. it didnt take long my line went slack about 5 feet with a salmon on it flying through the air and shook loose. then about 4 or 5 casts later bam and fish on busting water like crazy putting on a show and it shakes loose but doesnt matter to me just having fun with these spawners catch and release today. some now are busting water at my feet and one landed inches from my feet on shore just amazin. so i decided to fish and try and get pics of these airborne salmon. about 9:35 am i kept getting bumps on my rod was trying to figure out of they were hits or bottom when this time my rod doubled over and was bouncing wildly not bottom big salmon on . well i got a big surprise i hooked one right in the back and it fought wildly got it in and was probably a 19 inch spawning salmon almost black. around 10 am took a photo of 5 flying out of water 20 feet from me got none in pic ugh. well i guess this post everyone gets the idea of the fun i was having. left at 11 am to help my son skin out 2 deer. we were 3 for 3 does down on chawks property in less than 3 hours jeff says now the bucks. this morning i was 3 for 7 but 2 landed were foul hooked all fish i had on today were at least 19 inches had another probably 10 hits. fun fun and right from shore you feel the hit and the fight awsome time. took 10 pics no salmon in pic ugh tough with the delays on camera
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Could have had surf and turf Matt
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Matt have you ever considerd getting a action camera like a Go-Pro ?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Matt have you ever considerd getting a action camera like a Go-Pro ?
yes i have don but im not really very good with electronics lots of editing to do. i almost bought one last year but bought the water wolf and im afraid to use it.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

troutcrazy wrote:I ended up casting to a bunch of salmon that I could see in the lake. They were all colored up. I caught one on a rainbow kroc with a single siwash hook, then I decided to switch to a light, barbless hook. I really like this trick, lately, when there are a lot of fish and I don't intend to keep any. I can release them without even handling them, sometimes. I caught a couple that way, and then I started casting a spoon with no hook! Just to see what they would bite. After a while, I think they caught on to my presence, and they stopped biting.

I didn't end up putting my kayak in. By the time I got to the intended launch, the weather had changed a little. I but I was having a good time with my feet on the ground. So I explored the shore and scouted for new spots.

That is cool stuffff. Musta been fun..
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Matt you are legend to fisherman and a terror to all fish...

Amazing stories... thanks!
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/20/2018 had grandparents breaksfast at school this morning so let my wife go with alaynas other grandmother well i had a late start and got to my destination fishing those dark salmon in the shallows. got there at 9:15 am with a north wind and 33 degrees. fished unitl 10:30 am with no hits and no fish sighted. so i decided to chase lakers got in my pickup and headed a little ways down. the wind picking up and sleeting then but put my gloves on and hood over my head and i was ready for some feight train hits. 11 am no hits but saw a fish bust water had to be a salmon im thinking as lakers just make a big swirl. 15 minutes later still no hits when all of sudden right at my feet 6 or 7 good size salmon attacking my lure shyly because they could see me standing there dropped the copper kastmaster back down quickly and not one not 2 but 3 trying to eat my kastmaster and my rod suddenly doubled over and fish on and not one but 2 on the drag is just on fire and there only 4 feet from me couldnt move them so i took a chance and used my rod trying to drag them in and i did after a while thanks to my trilene 12 lb test big game line . i wanted a pic badly but it didnt happen as one got off and i didnt want to hurt it so it just swam away very tired out. the other one i kept for a freind up north to eat. this made my day lots of great thngs have happened to me the last few years but this is one of my greatest and to stand there and 4 feet from me there attacking my lure in 8 fow on the surface. i stayed another half hour with 1 hit and i land a small laker but before i left i had a laker follower that eric and i named TANK but he shys away very easily when he sees you. Image
this one was a male the other a female