fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

4/21/2019 hit the lake this morning down to my freinds camp for some shore casting for salmon . camp was flooded so there was just enough room for me to fish in a corner and mark in his little boat. what a beautiful easter day sunny no wind and warm. the bite started slow then after being there 1/2 hour with one hit i have 4 hits and lost all 4 didnt like the hooks on that johnson splinter so i was going through my box and saw a chrome swedish pimple never caught a fish on it and they dont have much action but it was a bright day so i said ill experiment . well the very ist cast freight train hit and fish on i land a nice chunky salmon. from that point on till i lost it it was fish on. i lost track on how many hits and salmon i landed and mark tried to keep up but at one point he said i made 6 casts in a row and landed 6 salmon in those 6 casts. somewhere i between mark landed a nice steelhead his ist ever. what beauties they were today dont think any were under 20 inches the one that got my swedish pimple but jumping out of my net and back in the water with it was at least 22 inches and a football. put on a bee trout pattern blue caught a couple more but had to head home. mark said later in a message he thinks i caught more than 12 but he said 12 for 17 is close. ha ha kept my limit of 2 salmon this morning for a brother and my bait man john. mark said wow matt you sure got this shore fishing down to a science.
here is mark with his ist steelhead and a salmon in his boat.ImageImageforensic anthropology crime scene
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by Bocco »

Nice job! Thank you for the report and pictures. WOW!
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

That's a great day Matt! Nice work. I'll probably be out trolling the bay tomorrow, the weather looks good.
GSP
Species: Bass, trout

Post by GSP »

That’s some nice fish right there. Good job, guys!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/3/2019 well finally got down to the lake after a heavy rain weather has not been cooperating at all . got down there at 3:30 pm and started out with a single hook blue trout pattern casting honeybee. 4 th cast a sharp hit and noone home. then another 5 or 6 casts and freight train hit and fish on i land a nice 18 or 19 inch salmon. kept it in the water and released it . i decided if the salmon were aggressive ill switch to a rainbow krocodile with the treble hooks and will keep my limit of 2 . well it didnt take long to catch 4 salmon and miss 2 so i switched to the rainbow kroc. and it didnt take long to catch my limit of 2 plus 1 and i was home at 5 pm. the water was semi stained and calm and i was casting in 2 to 7 fow with some structure. i had a blast and every salmon out on a show just awsome hard to beat holding that rod in your hand and feeling the freight train hits and fight. lots of times they throw the lures but not tonight .Image
ImageImageImageImagefind the nearest capital one bank
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

That is awesome Matt!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/4/2019 after dinner tonight i had salmon again i went down to the lake for some shore casting. started fishing at 6pm in 2 to 7 fow again and landed a bass and salmon within 10 minutes . then had some hits and noone home . then i have a freight train hit and i land a 21 inch salmon. then awhile later 2 more hits and noone home then another freight train hit and i release a 17 inch salmon. then it happened just about 5 feet from me there was a big boil and fish on and my rod tip was in the water with my drag zzzzzzzzzzzzzing wow what do i have on. busting water but i could only see its dark back this went on for what seemed like a half hour everytime he made a run i let him run. then i got a look and it was a steelhead wow now im really excited and no net but i was careful not to rush it and finally got him to shore but couldnt hold on but on the 5th try i grabbed it by the tail and squeezed . i just landed a 25 inch steelhead . i was home at 7 pm with my camera not working so in less than an hour i landed 3 salmon 1 bass and 1 steelhead.
Imageexxon truck stop near meImage
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

What an awesome looking fish!!!! Congratulations Matt!!!
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow, that is awesome!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Matt:
I'm pretty sure that you are in a category all by your self.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Matt that looks like an big o steelie.. great fish and story.... thanks for the post.
Matt B
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I caught a fat brown the other day, right in the same shore spot I found before. These things sure are eating well! Both the Champlain browns I caught this spring were very fatty-- and too flavorful with the skin on as I usually
cook them. This time I trimmed off all the fat and skinned it, and ate it with ramps-- perfect!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went down to check the camp and tried the salmon for a while . water clarity wasnt the greatest tonight but stuck with the rainbow krocodile. about 15 minutes in to it had my ist hit and noone home . then another 6 or 7 casts a freight train hit and fish on i land a nice salmon kept it to take pics with my phone and practice downloading it . it worked thanks to chawk and my freind josh. landed 1 more and missed and another so i was 2 for 4 in 45 minutes. water dropping a little at the camp.

C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Way to go Matt with the picture!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/13/2019 went down to the camp tonight to check it as the rain started to fall at 5:20 pm. got there and decided to cast awhile if the rain wasnt to bad and it wasnt. pulled a big no no though left my phone home and my new nikon camera. ugh. decided to put on a honey bee pink/blue/silver casting lure and cast off the dock. water was semi clear and depth there is 2 to 6 fow with some rock structure. made about 20 casts and no hits was going to move to my favorite spot but the next cast a solid hit and fish on 1 jumps 2 jumps 3 jumps and gone. what a blast. then about another 5 minutes or so another solid hit and i land a brown about 15 inches or so put it in the net and let it go. the very next cast i land a big mouth bass. then the next cast a freight train hit and i land a 17 or 18 inch salmon that never busted water. the about ten minutes later freight train hit and i land another 17 or 18 inch salmon let it go also. then the last fish i land would take my bee lure with him ugh. i have a nice solid hit and fish on and its no salmon its a huge big mouth bass. i was up on the dock so i used the net and it jumped out broke me off and took my bee lure ugh.
just a short note i have a new net its rubber and lite and perfect for me fishing solo also got a brand new nikon camera a gift from my daughter-in-law.