fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

12/17/2018 headed back up for some more frostbite fishing this morning but not much of a frostbite in fact it was nice 35 degrees and light winds. since the lake was calm i started out with the honeybee casting fishy1 ist 20 minutes no follows no hits. then as i was about to pull the fishy1 out of the water here comes a nice salmon out of nowhere chasing the fishy1 right out of the water and he hit the fishy1 but missed the hook. ugh. then about 10 minutes later had a follow and stopped and it hit the fishy1 and i land a nice 18 or 19 inch salmon unhooked it in the water and released it. then the wind picked up out of the south so i changed the fishy1 to a chartreuse fire wing ist time ever and the only one i have. 3 rd ot 4th cast a hit and a miss. then nothing until 1/2 hour had a good hit out about 50 feet and fish on i land a 17 inch or so male salmon badly hooked so i kept it for a freind. still oozing out its milk for fertilizing the eggs. so it was 10 am or so and i had to drop off a gift for underprivelaged kids a little more up north so i left . went pheasant hunting on way home no pheasant did walk by an owl and took a quick pic.
ImageImagehow to screenshot on windows 7
i was 2 for 4 in less than 2 hours all salmon
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh boy you just missed the Tank!
Great that the salmon are still doing their thing there!

I did some shore exploring on the I.S. the other day, without any fish. The dropoff is too far from the shore to find deep casting water. Next day I loaded the kayak on the car... but went ice fishing instead! I was glad I did, as I caught a mess of big crappies!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

those crappies are very good eating. i hope to get another chance at tank.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/19/2018 had a guest today join me the president of the fish and game in ticonderoga was hoping to put him on fish early. we did a little duck hunting ist at least he did and no shot although he saw plenty. got to destination on shore around 8:15 am . kevin put on a silver krocodile and i wanted to stay with the chartreuse fire wing to see if it is a good lure on a sunny day. was only 10 degrees when we started fishing so we knew we were in for some icing problems with a 3 mph south wind. talked to kevin to keep his eyes in the water for sight fishing the salmon. it wasnt long kevin yells over got one on and i put a laker in the net good start. then he missed 2 or 3 more if i remember right all on the fall. i kept going up to my pickup unthawing my guides so to make sure they wouldnt break off which has happened in the past with the small eyes. a short while later throwing to my right though i saw salmon so i stopped close to me and started jigging and before i knew it there was a salmon there and i hooked it right in the belly but it shook loose quickly .ugh. kevin tells me there is big one down there so i held the spot and kept jigging but couldnt see my lure then a hit and a miss kept jigging and within seconds a good hit and fish on i land a male salmon for kevins dinner. the wind was picking up and cold kevin put on his sun glasses and there were salmon there but no takers. i tossed back out in the deeper water 3rd cast a good hit and a miss. then after about 10 minutes fish on and it busts water and shakes loose a real small salmon. another freind joined us for a short while but had to go back to work. we left a little before 11 am and kevin was 1 for 3 or 4 and i was 1 for 4 not a real good day but we didnt get skunked. when leaving kevin says we got to do this again. the frostbite challenge was there today but we surviImageved and will do it again. lots of fun.Image
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You make it look easy Matt. keep up the good post and nice pics
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/20/2018 headed back up north today for some more frostbite shore fishing arrived at 8:15 am and 27 degrees sunny and a light wind perfect. stayed with the krocodile chartreuse fire wing for some furthur results. started real slow and i didnt sight fish a one. then about 9 am a hit and fish on only to shake loose. then within 5 minutes another hit way out near bottom and i said no way this is a laker peeling the drag and racing up to the surface. after a minute or so i get it in and its a nice 22 inch plus silver grabbed my phone and camera to take pics of its busting water at my feet before i even got a pic it shook loose. no pic darn. its been a month since i caught a silver in this spot. then in the next hour 2 more hits i land a small salmon and miss another. then a freind justin showed up to join me and at exactly 11 am i have a tremendous hit in 4 fow and a miss. ugh. threw back to that spot nothing till i looked down at the lure 5 feet from me a big silver was following my lure abut he spooked when he saw me. what a good looking silver and chunky i was guessing maybe 6 lbs. that would do it for me as i was off to walk a hedge line for pheasants a half hour walk on each side. saw 4 pheasants no shots.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/22/2018 headed up north this morning for some frostbite shore fishing. yesterday morning i went up also but in and out of the heavy rains with kevin joining me i was 0 for 1. this morning 47 degrees light rain and little wind but the bite started slow. justin stopped down for 10 minutes and i got my ist hit on the fall . then justin lost one dont know what it was. a few minutes later justin caught the smallest smelt that i ever seen had to be this years. sorry i didnt take a pic. right after that i had a follow right at my feet and it was tank the big fat laker that broke me off but he spooked away when he saw me like he has done in the past. then justin had to leave told justin i was going to target tank the rest of the morning not worried about catching salmon. used 2 of my rods one with a copper kastmaster and the other with a rainbow kroc. kept casting to the deeper water in about 15 minutes or so had 2 or 3 follows with the kastmaster but they were salmon so i hurried and started casting the rainbow kroc and 4th cast with it a hit near shore and fish on i land a 15 inch salmon. so instead of casting out started jigging in 5 minutes a hit and fish on i land a small brown maybe 13 inches. i kept on jigging and schools of salmon kept swimming right by but no takers. now here is a stunner i had picked up a part digest smelt this morning put it on a hook on my worm rod and had it dangling on the rock on shore for over 2 hours, i was jigging and looked down and saw a good size salmon rising fast and busting water and right into my rod tip almost knocking my rod in the water. that salmon had that smelt in its mouth but not the hook. ugh. i had the hook near the head and he had the side of the 6 inch smelt. was just unbeleivable to see that 4 feet from me. then about 10:30 am i lost a nice salmon then the snow started temperature went from 47 to 35 in minutes it seemed. didnt want to get to wet so i headed home . after the slow start i think i did okay even with the full moon. my goal is to catch tank and get a good pic.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/24/2018 headed up north for some frostbite shore fishing solo as it was christmas eve. i got a message yesterday my spots were unfisheable because of debris. got there around 8 am with all debris gone and a clam lake great for sight fishing. brought a few live emerald minnows to try on a 2nd rod due to the full moon. ist hour one light hit out a ways then schools of salmon came in and swimming the shore line some big ones to . had the emerald right on shore and they would swim by and not even take a look at it at least i dont think. i was jiggin when they came in and casting when they didnt kept my eye on my bobber and minnow. about 9:30 am after seeing so many salmon and no takers its the full moon i kept saying. at 10 am i looked at my minnow and 1 foot near my minnow was a good 24 inch salmon or more just suspended. waited awhile and pulled it in thinking i need to put on another a little bit more lively . it didnt work ugh the big salmon just went to the bottom and joined several others i casted and jigged tried everything . went home skunked a rarity as of late. i think if i was later in the day maybe i would have hooked into one of those bigger ones. its the ist in that spot i seen so many salmon over 20 inches. windknot is coming down to join me wednesday hope they aggressive.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/26/2018 back at frostbite shore fishing today with another forum member joining me windknot (nathan) from montreal . i started fishing around 8:45 am and 10 degrees out and had hits right away lost 2 salmon. then i had a follow another salmon and nathan then shows up with some homemade cookies so i headed to the my pickup for thaw out my rod and me a little and have a cookie or 2. :D :D :D then went back at it i was jigging and had a fish on or i hooked into dont really know . then a while later casting i have a hit and fish on it shakes loose. sometimes later i got an ice ball knot and took the rainbow krocodile off and gave to nathan to try . i had a copper kastmaster on my other rod. soon after i had a follow stopped and started waving my rod back and forth instead of jigging salmon turned around and slammed the kastmaster fish on pulled it up on shore for nathan to bring home to eat went to grab it shook loose and slid right back into the water ugh. i only had another half hour and i would have to head home so nathan and i were makeing plans for next week for some ice fishing for trout where legal. he was jigging with the rainbow kroc non chalantly and talking when he had a hit and a miss then suddenly rod tip went down bobbing like crazy and fish on nathan lands a nice laker. i net him and nathan says he is for dinner. after no hits on flies lures and so on he lands a laker on my kroc says i got to get one of them i said you wont be sorry for sure. they catch fish. Image
the laker was 24 inches 4 lbs 9 ounces
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice laker Nathan. Thanks for posting Matt
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Haha I love it when they bite when you're not really trying.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/14/2019 headed down to the lake for some shore casting for salmon and browns. wanted to catch a brown for dinner but that didnt happen. started fishing around 8 am and put on a 3/8 ounce rainbow flat finish krocodile. a while later solid hit and fish on i land a 16 or 17 inch salmon released right in the water no brown. headed south on the shoreline when i saw a good fish bust water. but he was either gone or wouldnt commit. a while later a good hit but noone home. then about an hour later kept moving down i have a hit and fish on busting water like no tommorrow i land approx 18 inch salmon released it in water also. had 1 more hit and when i got to my vehicle it was 11:30 am. my ist day here and i scored im very happy. maybe later on when i go back ill take some pics. i need that brown to eat.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice work! Nothing beats feeling the bite casting from shore! We're off to a good start this season! You'll get that brown soon, I'd bet.
The Kroc has become my favorite lure since you introduced it to me. Thanks for that! I also did well with the smaller sizes last spring with rainbow trout.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/18/2019 headed north for some shore casting in some rain and wind. started fishing at 7:20 am and left art 8 am raining hard so i decided to scout some rivers. i had 1 follow and it was a beauty of a salmon maybe 4 or 5 lbs. it spooked when it saw me.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I realized the other day that I'd never caught a silver from shore-- only dark colored fall spawners-- so I figured I'd better make it happen. Last time I was out in my kayak, I hooked up a few times in the same spot. So today I made my way to the shore near that spot, and found a spot to sit.

I had follows on the flat rainbow Kroc immediately. A couple nips but no real bites. Then I switched to the Fishy1 color casting Honeybee. They crushed it! Chewed the paint right off! I caught a handfull before they seemed to get tired of it, so I cycled through a bunch of colors. Purple/pink/silver with spots produced, as did pink/blue/white with spots. They weren't interested in green. They stopped biting mid-afternoon. I cast out a rainbow Yozuri stickbait and caught one on that. No bites on spinners, phoebes, or kastmasters.

Haha its a good thing I have a few more of those Fishy1 Bees, because they destroyed that thing! Those Honeybees are beautiful lures-- it's really pleasing to watch their action in the water. I'm glad I got so much use out of them today. I usually start with the Kroc because it runs deeper and casts just a little farther, but it doesn't have that magic action like the Bees!

I lost count of fish that I released, but I kept two that were injured, for the smoker.

I also beat my Personal Best! New PB is 24"! It was a dandy! Cleanly hooked and cleanly released without even pulling it out of the water. (Yeah my measurement isn't precise but close enough for me-- three times as long as my 8 1/4" spread hand).