fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

flyfish1 wrote:When targeting fish that I don't want to lose, I always tie uni knot to any of my connections.

That knot works the best also for fluorocarbon.

Any others use this knot? I make 5 passes under the loop all the time and on heavier mono I do 4.

Thanks
i do 5. what happened i and some others are thinking is it bit the line off. it wasnt a pull because my drag was very loose and the line just went limp. i had a very small lure on there with very small hooks and he bit the line off.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/18/2016 went back down to deep bay tonight at 6 pm for some more casting . ist 10 minutes there one hit and a miss. then about 2 minutes alter fish on a nice salmon on . it leaped three times before i could even react. it hit 25 feet from shore and it was putting on a show . got it to the net after 6 leaps that were unbelievable and went to net and it had to make one more leap right over the net and landed on a rock shook the hook off and away he went. what a fight and what a fish. a good 5 or 6 lb salmon. shortly after lost another one and that was it . did catch 3 bass. what a day every one broke me off or busted me off but thats why its called fishing. just a short note in terms of what i call these places i fish. they are all local names that i was brought up to know . deep bay is on the west side and the southern end of bullwagga bay. big bay is bullwagga bay itself. big hole is a deeper hole out from sheephead rock. the spiles is a rock pile across from sandy beach campsite that is a rock pile that runs right to shore. all boats beware of this area. then there is the rock pile just a little west from the bullwagga bay campsite that has a bouy there. all of these spots are in bullwagga bay including chases.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

flyfish1 wrote:When targeting fish that I don't want to lose, I always tie uni knot to any of my connections.
That knot works the best also for fluorocarbon.
Any others use this knot? I make 5 passes under the loop all the time and on heavier mono I do 4.

Thanks
I use this knot a lot.
4 to 5 passes for mono and fluoro, 7 passes when using braided line.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Hairbone wrote:Matt,

Sounds like you hooked Champ... I will look for your name on the sign when I enter town :D
I bet it was Champ!!!! We better get his name up on the board ASAP!!!!! LOL
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Nice work Matt! Hey, regarding your blue and silver earing last week, I was pulling a 7" jointed rapala out of a 36" pike up north last year and he flipped and sank the front treble into my left ring finger (to the bone), and while trying to separate the fish and lure from my hand, he flipped again and sank the tail treble into the palm of my right hand. I was painfully handcuffed to a very active, big pike. My friend cut the hooks with wire cutters to get the fish off, dropped me off at the dock and I drove an hour to the hospital steering with one bloody hand and my knees (my friends went back out, the bite was on). The point is, that the nurse just tied some surgical string around the first hook and just yanked it out fast and hard, like pulling a tooth out with a door knob. Sounds rough, but it's quick and it works. I tried to work the hooks around through with pliers but couldn't break the skin (and the other was stuck in the bone).

She gave me some surgical string to keep in the tackle box, said that's the way they always do it at the hospital, and as long as it's fast, pulling the barb backwards actually causes less damage. - Side note - don't cut too much of the hook off otherwise you wont have anything to tie the string to. The deep hook, actually had to be worked out with pliers while the doctor held my arm. When the pain killer first kicked in I grabbed the pliers myself and I could not pull it out, it felt like it was stuck in a 2 x 4, the new hooks are sharp! I was back on the boat in a couple of hours but I put on a glove whenever I got a pike in the boat - toothy bastards!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:Nice work Matt! Hey, regarding your blue and silver earing last week, I was pulling a 7" jointed rapala out of a 36" pike up north last year and he flipped and sank the front treble into my left ring finger (to the bone), and while trying to separate the fish and lure from my hand, he flipped again and sank the tail treble into the palm of my right hand. I was painfully handcuffed to a very active, big pike. My friend cut the hooks with wire cutters to get the fish off, dropped me off at the dock and I drove an hour to the hospital steering with one bloody hand and my knees (my friends went back out, the bite was on). The point is, that the nurse just tied some surgical string around the first hook and just yanked it out fast and hard, like pulling a tooth out with a door knob. Sounds rough, but it's quick and it works. I tried to work the hooks around through with pliers but couldn't break the skin (and the other was stuck in the bone).

She gave me some surgical string to keep in the tackle box, said that's the way they always do it at the hospital, and as long as it's fast, pulling the barb backwards actually causes less damage. - Side note - don't cut too much of the hook off otherwise you wont have anything to tie the string to. The deep hook, actually had to be worked out with pliers while the doctor held my arm. When the pain killer first kicked in I grabbed the pliers myself and I could not pull it out, it felt like it was stuck in a 2 x 4, the new hooks are sharp! I was back on the boat in a couple of hours but I put on a glove whenever I got a pike in the boat - toothy bastards!
all i can say is yikes. this was my 3rd time in 2 years. 2 to the emergency room. the one 2 years ago was with a single and a 10 lb plus bowfin that you never want to put your hand near there mouth i got the hook right to the bone but at least the fin didnt get me. i just hope all fisherman think every time they are fishing about fish hooks.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/21/2016 went down to big bay tonight for an hour landed one salmon 17 inches or so and one small mouth bass. bugs were bad came home.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

fishy1 wrote:
Bearcat wrote:Nice work Matt! Hey, regarding your blue and silver earing last week, I was pulling a 7" jointed rapala out of a 36" pike up north last year and he flipped and sank the front treble into my left ring finger (to the bone), and while trying to separate the fish and lure from my hand, he flipped again and sank the tail treble into the palm of my right hand. I was painfully handcuffed to a very active, big pike. My friend cut the hooks with wire cutters to get the fish off, dropped me off at the dock and I drove an hour to the hospital steering with one bloody hand and my knees (my friends went back out, the bite was on). The point is, that the nurse just tied some surgical string around the first hook and just yanked it out fast and hard, like pulling a tooth out with a door knob. Sounds rough, but it's quick and it works. I tried to work the hooks around through with pliers but couldn't break the skin (and the other was stuck in the bone).

all i can say is yikes. this was my 3rd time in 2 years. 2 to the emergency room. the one 2 years ago was with a single and a 10 lb plus bowfin that you never want to put your hand near there mouth i got the hook right to the bone but at least the fin didnt get me. i just hope all fisherman think every time they are fishing about fish hooks.
As a kid, while fishing a trout stream on opening day with my dad, I hooked him in the neck on the back cast. Didn't know i had done it until i swung the rod forward to release the line and cast. :o As I recall, he yelled. :shock:
It all came back to me a few years ago while I was teaching my sons to fish while we shared a small boat. Can't remember which one, but he got me in the back with a treble hook. What comes around... :lol:
I've certainly given it to enough fish so I'm sure I'm about due, as careful as I am.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

im sure most fisherman has had a bad experience with hooks while fishing. good to hear different ways of it happening so we can all be a little more careful.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/22/2016 went down to deep bay early tonight at 5 pm and try to land some salmon. since i was early i decided to start farthur north another 5 minute or so walk. got there and set up on the flattest rock i could stand on which are far and in between. 2nd cast fish on a largemouth bass. fished awhile with no salmon so i went to the next spot. casted for awhile with one sharp hit and no taker. then i moved down again. saw 2 nice salmon come completely out of the water but no takers. moved down again and 3 rd cast lost a nice salmon. then landed a decent one and released it. then had another sharp hit and no taker. then about ten minutes later another sharp hit and fish on a nice 20 inch plus salmon. then nothing and it was approaching 7 pm so i wanted to hit my favorite spot where the water is very shallow so down i went to finish the evening and it finished wildly to say the least. 1 st cast a nice bass. then after about 15 minutes or so i could not believe what was about to happen. the next 7 casts i landed 5 salmon and every one of them within 15 feet of me in fact i saw 3 crush my lure. it was just amazin the only sad part was i had to keep my limit of 2 since they landed in the rocks and were all banged up. i had promised my granddaughters doctor i would save him one now i had 2 for him. so i headed home with my limit and didnt want to chance of hurting another. what a 2 hours or so of fishing for salmon . landed 7 salmon lost 1 and missed i think 2 or 3 . the biggest was approx 4 lbs or so but were all decent size. all leaped as high as they could to right in front of me and at least waist high.

picture host

free screen capture software
my good luck charm.
blackfly
Species: all

Post by blackfly »

NICE PICTURE SAVE SOME FISH FOR ME
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Looking like one heck of a night.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report Matt... The salmon are sure hungry this spring....
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/23/2016 went down to deep bay despite the 3 foot waves and stained water plus weeds and debris on the surface. started fishing at 6:15 pm and 3rd cast fish on a smallmouth bass. no more hits so i decided to move to where i was last evening. water seemed more stained there and lots of floating weeds. landed a largemouth bass ist 5 minutes there. catching lots of weeds on my line and lure almost every cast. then about 6:50 pm my lure hit the water and splash and fish on landed a nice salmon approx. 22 inches. then the next 15 minutes lots of weeds so i decide to call it quits. talked to a couple that owns a camp there and they said 2 young guys were casting for bass out of there boat and landed 6 salmon in an hour. the 2 bass fisherman didnt even know what they were. the couple told them they were only allowed to keep 2 each . so they released the last 2 and went home very excited..
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Matt, give me a call if you see me out there tomorrow and let me know where the fish are :mrgreen: hope it lays down a bit