fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

i have the pic now on my email of the 12lb salmon just waiting for permission to post it.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Cant wait to see this pic fishy1
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Post by flyfish1 »

hi fishy1,
Thanks for all the scouting work you do.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

just got a text from my freind and the guy wont let me post the pic. its to bad because it is a big beautiful atlantic. i guess the pic is my treasure for now. it also might be the lake champlain record salmon.
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Post by Themug »

She's no 12 pounder but here's a nice 24" 6 pounder I got from shore on the VT side yesterday afternoon. Got it on a 2" black and white stickbait. That's my go to lure for salmon this time of year. It's belly was full of smelt

fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Themug wrote:She's no 12 pounder but here's a nice 24" 6 pounder I got from shore on the VT side yesterday afternoon. Got it on a 2" black and white stickbait. That's my go to lure for salmon this time of year. It's belly was full of smelt

wow nice salmon . thanks for posting and on shore to. a belly full of smelt to.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Nice looking salmon. Looks like it was eating well
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/14/2016 went down to lake at 4 Pm to check the water clarity for some forum members that live a couple of hours away. got there and the water is still stained but much clearer and very fisheable. brought my rod out to make a few casts also. 3 foot north wind waves pounding the pier. no hits at all until somewhere around 4:30 or so when i had an awsome hit within 10 feet of me and out of the water comes a nice 4 or 5 lb salmon and throws my lure right at me and sticks right into the side of my face like

a bullet. so i cut the line and headed home and had a nurse we know come down but she didnt dare to remove it so off i go to the emergency room. got their and within 20 minutes the pa took it out. im not a stranger to this happening but this one really stunned me. the lure was 1/4 ounce johnson splinter that cast like a bullet but also comes back at you the same way. last year i had a salmon do that also and the lure snapped back and inbedded in my hat grazing my forehead. the salmon won today and im somewhat embarrassed but i will be back there in the morning. here is a pic of my new fad lure ear ring.
upload images free
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:4/14/2016 went down to lake at 4 Pm to check the water clarity for some forum members that live a couple of hours away. got there and the water is still stained but much clearer and very fisheable. brought my rod out to make a few casts also. 3 foot north wind waves pounding the pier. no hits at all until somewhere around 4:30 or so when i had an awsome hit within 10 feet of me and out of the water comes a nice 4 or 5 lb salmon and throws my lure right at me and sticks right into the side of my face like

"OUCH" I see why you went to the ER now. Very lucky it wasn't your eye. I bet you won't sleep with that side of your head on the pillow tonight!!!!!!

a bullet. so i cut the line and headed home and had a nurse we know come down but she didnt dare to remove it so off i go to the emergency room. got their and within 20 minutes the pa took it out. im not a stranger to this happening but this one really stunned me. the lure was 1/4 ounce johnson splinter that cast like a bullet but also comes back at you the same way. last year i had a salmon do that also and the lure snapped back and inbedded in my hat grazing my forehead. the salmon won today and im somewhat embarrassed but i will be back there in the morning. here is a pic of my new fad lure ear ring.
upload images free
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Wow

I had a stick bait get me a few years ago and was lucky to have an experienced guy with me to take it out.
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Now I realize there may be a temptation to stay in touch with the younger generation but I don't believe that is supposed to be the way to pierce your ear! Reminds me of when I was a kid and sticking a fly in my eyelid. I ended up walking a couple miles home with a foot of leader hanging down my face. I look forward to your reports but Danggggggg!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/18/2016 6 am hit deep bay early and started casting. had 2 hits right off but both were bass. then approx at 7 am casted out and as soon as it hit the water it was crushed and my rod just doubled over and i loosened my drag quickly. it ist ran north than south and then headed straight out so i decided to open my bail and let it run as i couldnt stop it anyway. busted water twice on me but still couldnt truly identifie the fish on. seemed like a long time but it wasnt happened very quickly and as soon as my hand touched the bail it snapped my line. i was just stunned to say the least . drag was very loose and my line was new 10 lb trilene big game. it was hard to tell by the line if it was snapped off at the knot. looked to me like it bit the line off. it was a very small lure and i guess its possible. i keep thinking a big steelhead what i saw of it but not a sure thing when your fishing lake champlain. talked to some members out in their boats and they seemed to be doing well with salmon. saw crazy ivan , semper, fish dr and others. im heading back down around 6 pm for some casting.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Matt,

Sounds like you hooked Champ... I will look for your name on the sign when I enter town :D
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Matt, you may have to re-spool with heavier line.... just in case.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Post by flyfish1 »

When targeting fish that I don't want to lose, I always tie uni knot to any of my connections.

That knot works the best also for fluorocarbon.

Any others use this knot? I make 5 passes under the loop all the time and on heavier mono I do 4.

Thanks