fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

10/24/2018 headed north at 7 am the rain falling and a good breeze. when i arrived i knew instantly i wasnt getting out in my boat this morning with 3 foot waves from the north. so i started casting a gold rattling kastmaster and 3rd cast a hit and a miss. then at 8 am raining hard so i went to the pickup for a sandwich and wait it out. about 8:20 am it was good to go with a light drizzle temperature at 40 degrees and the waves building now about 4 feet. no net and no eric yet but i been through this before will get thme in somehow. shortly after as i started reeling 4 th or 5th turn a strong hit and fish on and a big one heading up the lake against the wind and fast and before i know it i got broke off by this giant. after the fact i think my drag was a little to tight for this fish and it didnt even give me time to adjust. thinking big salmon or steelhead. now what am i going to put on so i put on a fire tiger krocodile 3/8 ounce and my other rod a blue streak krocodile 3/8 ounce. no hits on the fire tiger so i went against the grain and started casting the blue streak kroc. wasnt long i have a follow and a miss a salmon. then about 15 minutes later another follow and i stopped and it hit really hard and fish on. big waves and all i managed to get this 19 inch male salmon in wow what a fight. after a while eric came down and i was casting i had a good hit on the fall and it shook loose. around 10:30 am raining eric went home and left me his net taking the salmon with him. tried the fire tiger kroc again hoping to finally get a hit on it but it didnt happen. but just before i left i had a follow that was a tank of a laker to say the least. he shyed away though but 5 minutes later he follows again and shys away then one more time and still wouldnt hit that fire tiger kroc. if i was a laker i wouldnt hit that either out in their enviroment. :o :o i had a good morning though i was 1 for 5 but i had some followers and thats not a bad thing. hoping i get another chance at the one that broke me off. i was told that the salmon count is down 50 % this fall well maybe because of the warm water and the dried up streams there still in the lake. the male salmon today was dark and a spawner as was the brown. im fishing 20 fow to 60 fow where i am.eric landed a laker.
salmon in pic

C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Don't forget Frostbiters, this is my scout.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/25/2018 headed north again today hoping to jump in the boat and do some scouting. but the wind was a litte more than i wanted to challenge in it at 32 degrees. started casting on shore at 7:30 am with a full moon so set up 3 rods for casting with a rattling blue/silver kastmaster 3/8 ounce a fire tiger 3/8 ounce kroc and rainbow 1/4 ounce kroc. started off on a cloudy day with the rattling kastmaster for 20 minutes then the fire tiger kroc for 20 minutes then the rainbow for 20 minutes and had a hit on the rainbow and a miss. 9:30 am and still only 1 hit. then on the rainbow again i have a hit and land a small salmon 16 inches released it quickly then another a little after 10 am another hit and i land another small salmon. then at 10:45 am fire tigers turn and have never even got a hit on it tossed it out in the 30 fow and 4 th or 5th reel a strong hit and fish on and fighter not a laker swimming left and right to much. what a battle so i knew it was a good fish hoping to get it in no net and release it quickly with a quick pic. after a 2 minute battle or so i won it didnt give up bumping the rocks on shore and bleeding it had inhaled the kroc. in the water i thought for sure it was a nice male salmon until i got a better look at the tail and the jaw it was a 20 inch plus male brown. awsome were going to have this badly hooked brown for dinner. went home a little while later filleted it and the male brown still hadnt fertilized the eggs. i guess the salmon and browns are spawning in the lake this fall.ImageImage
3 rods 3 lures today i used
my fire tiger doesnt look new anymore
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome! Sounds like the fish slept in-- I slept in, too :D
Nice brown! What a tasty catch!
Spoons sure are pretty-- better than jewelry for sure! I noticed you tie directly to the kastmaster. I think they have better action with no swivel, too, but lately I've been using a snap swivel with everything.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Awesome! Sounds like the fish slept in-- I slept in, too :D
Nice brown! What a tasty catch!
Spoons sure are pretty-- better than jewelry for sure! I noticed you tie directly to the kastmaster. I think they have better action with no swivel, too, but lately I've been using a snap swivel with everything.
i tie direct with most everything and seems to work out okay.the krocodiles have more action then kastmasters tied direct and much like the honey bee casting lures. i noticed with the snap swivels they keep the lure up in the water column more didnt like that. i also caught less fish with then snap swivels.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/26/2018 hit the lake at 7:15 am to be picked up by ron (digitroll) for some silver trolling which didnt happen since the wind was brutal to say the least. heard from ron today and he had a good day solo out of the wind. well i moved a little at 8 am for some shore fishing with erice joining me and adric a little later. my 2nd cast was a good one and fish on i land a nice brown eric put it in the net unhooked and back in the water quickly to bite again. had another solid hit a little later and that would do it for me . sometime later andric had a follow and and 5 minutes later he hooked into a nice chuncky laker which was also released to bite again. wayne showed up around 11 am and decided to leave for some pheasant hunting and told them i would be back in the afternoon. no pheasants went home had lunch and headed back and got there at 4 pm. 10 minutes after i got there and eric joining me had a strong hit and fish on and a big one started up to bust water very fast saw it and for that 1 second or so let up and it was a big silver and threw the kroc. cant give those silvers any room at all and it cost me agt least a 8 lb silver. then about half hour later fish on and i land a laker. another freind joined us after work and soon after he lands a laker. a very slow morning turned out fairly well in the afternoon.
my brownImageImage
andric fighting a lakerImage
andric releasing his laker
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I needed a change of scenery so I crossed the lake and fished calm water in my kayak for a few hours until dusk. I saw a couple fish bust water. Little minnows were dimpling the calm surface everywhere. Nothing bit.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/27 2018 headed north again for some shore fishing with light wind conditions but cool 32 degrees. joined eric at 7:20 am with fish busting water . about my 5 th cast had a hit on the fall and fish on but shook loose eric within minutes of mine had one on and it shook loose. then for the next 3 hours no hits took some breaks and warmed up once. eric had a tap and that was it. then i moved a little and out the fishy1 on since they were still busting water but no lures worked. about the 10th or 11th cast with it i had a follow stopped and it slammed the fishy1. i land a small laker the only fish landed today as a little while later started sleeting so i headed home . some big fish busting water some of them silvers but just couldnt get them to hit tried 5 colors. eric and i are pretty confident that the lake is so clear and calm that the fish were shying away because they could see us.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like a big colored up fish with a kype is gonna win Sat!
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:Sounds like a big colored up fish with a kype is gonna win Sat!
matt isnt one of the rules no dark colored fish entered? im pretty sure it is.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

fishy1 wrote:
Reelax wrote:Sounds like a big colored up fish with a kype is gonna win Sat!
matt isnt one of the rules no dark colored fish entered? im pretty sure it is.
That’s right... now issue will be we can get one in the lake after they flush back down...

Great reports Matt. See you in a week ...
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/29/2018 while i was out trolling with ron eric went down solo and did some casting had 2 hits landed 1 24 inch badly hooked laker for the smoker.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/31/2018 headed north for some frostbite fishing air temperature was 28 degrees with a 2mph south wind. cool but fisheable. 3rd cast freight train hit i land a nice laker with a great fight. 3rd cast with a new copper kastmaster. then 20 minutes later eric showed up and i have a hit on the fall gossiping with eric missed the fish. then 1/2 hour later another hit and a miss. eric went home then and the rain started to fall and wind picked up with 2 and 3 footers. in and out of the rain at 10:40 am i have a freight train hit and fish on i land a smaller laker. then the rain came harder and i left. just got a visitor at home chawk. :) :) :) :) :)Image
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/1/2018 headed up to troll with chawk this morning but he never got up so drove back home picked up my pickup and angler 8 and headed north. hit my destination around 9:30 am after my 2nd cup of coffee. stopped and asked eric if he wanted to go out but he said he didnt have enough time so i went out solo scouting new water. the ist 2 place i anchored in 25 fow had 1 hit and lost a small silver. the next 4 spots 0 hits. the chop was only about 6 or 7 inches and i noticed there was absolutly no current in any of these spots so headed north a ways above where i put the boat in. it was now about noon. from that point on there was no pulling anchor and i found some nice lakers. 6th or 7th cast with a copper kastmaster freight train hit and fish on and a fighter awsome had fun with it then no net again it shook loose. 3 casts later another freight train hit and fish on and another fighter got it up after a couple of minutes got it in the pail a nice laker for wayne. then the chop got a little bigger maybe a foot and i pulled anchor and drifted away from that spot but it didnt matter 2nd cast from that spot fish and a smaller one that i released. 5 minutes later and good hit and a miss. then my anchored dropped off to a deeper depth and started drifting again. finally stopped it by letting more rope out. ist cast from that spot freight train hit and fish on and a decent laker after a brief fight pulled it into the boat and a laker for another freind. then shortly after that another freight train hit and it shook loose.
left at 1 pm not bad 6 hits in an hour i was 3 for 7 on the couple of hours of fishing. im getting used to my angler 8 now very happy with it. Image
ImageImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/7/2018 headed north this morning with a gusty west wind so i decided to stick to frostbite shore fishing. got there after a little pheasant hunting around 8 am no pheasants. eric arrived shortly after and he soon lands a small laker. then i i have hit on the fall and no taker. soon after eric has a follow and a swipe but a miss. the after a while with no hits started jigging and right near my feet i have a hit that almost pulled the rod out of my hands and a miss. then eric decided to head home and 5 minutes later a freight train hit and fish on i land a good size laker kept this one for my bait man since it was badly hooked. then about 10 minutes later another freight train hit and fish on i land another laker. then it went quiet for 1/2 hour but i did have a follow. then 10 minutes later a hit and a miss. but the very next cast a freight train hit and fish on i land another laker. fished another 15 minutes and went back pheasant hunting no luck there. i was 3 for 7 not bad for a couple of hours casting.