Salmon in the rivers!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dockside

Salmon in the rivers!

Post by Dockside »

Don't tell anyone! There be salmon back in the rivers! Arrrrr! :D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Salmon in the rivers!

Post by Reelax »

That's it! Boquet here we come... Est eta 9am tomorrow (t sleeps in).
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

There's some dudes out there that are wicked good on the rivers for landlocks....
Not on the deltas...IN the rivers!!!

We're coming up on Matt's awesome trib reports!!!
I've seen pix of some awesome fish from the Lamoille!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Can you go up the river by boat, or do you need to fish from the shore?
I am not too familiar with the area, so I ask :) , that's the best way to learn.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I've seen salmon taken from shore and from boats in the rivers. But I think most fisherman that are successful in the rivers are fishing from the shoreline.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Raz wrote:There's some dudes out there that are wicked good on the rivers for landlocks....
Not on the deltas...IN the rivers!!!

We're coming up on Matt's awesome trib reports!!!
I've seen pix of some awesome fish from the Lamoille!
Heyooooooooo!!!

http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/foru ... ?f=4&t=176

Not a Salmon, but it'll do! More reports coming soon! I'm hoping to hit Lewis for some Steel with Tunamas as well!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:Can you go up the river by boat, or do you need to fish from the shore?
I am not too familiar with the area, so I ask :) , that's the best way to learn.
I've only seen one boat in the Salmon Hole(Winooski River), which was in Spring when the water was a bit higher...pretty bad for your propellers around that area because there is ton of shallow water areas...My guess is the fishing is much better on the banks or with waders on because of maneuverability and access to water that boats can't get to, and also spooking fish...I know I'll be wearing my waders this upcoming weekend to try to hit as many spots as I can.
blue lund
Species: salmon trout walleye

Post by blue lund »

How many miles of the Winooski are actually wadeable and fishable for salmon? I am contemplaing making a weekend trip in a couple weeks and giving it a go. I just don't want to make the trip and find out there are only a couple of runs that are actually fishable and all the reat is flat water where the salmon and trout won't actually hold.
Matt

Post by Matt »

blue lund wrote:How many miles of the Winooski are actually wadeable and fishable for salmon? I am contemplaing making a weekend trip in a couple weeks and giving it a go. I just don't want to make the trip and find out there are only a couple of runs that are actually fishable and all the reat is flat water where the salmon and trout won't actually hold.
There are dozens of spots to fish the Salmon Hole IMO, BUT as for further downriver below the falls I'm not too sure, I've never really bothered. The furthest I've fished below the Salmon Hole is probably 400 yards in some faster water. A friend and I witnessed them starting the trap for the first time this year...TONS of Salmon! in the high 30's, some looked well over 7 LBs. Catching them is the tricky part, but they're definitely in there...if you're into wading, there is a ton of faster water all over the Salmon Hole, then there are very deep holes as well, its overall a great place to fish, you'd have to come see it to see what I'm talking about. Good luck if you decide to come, although if you're from NY I have to say our Salmon runs don't compare to yours.
blue lund
Species: salmon trout walleye

Post by blue lund »

Matt...thanks for the reply. Yep the salmon I grew up fishing are quite a bit larger than the landocked variety but I'd rather catch 1 landlocked on light tackle then 10 kings on heavy gear. Have you ever tried rapapas for the salmon? The rapalas work great on the browns in the fall and I could see it being effective on the salmon in the faster waters. I just need to decide if I want to head to the adirondacks the last weekend in September or come up your way. The only downfall coming up to the winooski is I would need to buy new wader boots. All mine have felt soles at this time.
Matt

Post by Matt »

blue lund wrote:Matt...thanks for the reply. Yep the salmon I grew up fishing are quite a bit larger than the landocked variety but I'd rather catch 1 landlocked on light tackle then 10 kings on heavy gear. Have you ever tried rapapas for the salmon? The rapalas work great on the browns in the fall and I could see it being effective on the salmon in the faster waters. I just need to decide if I want to head to the adirondacks the last weekend in September or come up your way. The only downfall coming up to the winooski is I would need to buy new wader boots. All mine have felt soles at this time.
Yeah, I carry rainbow and gold Rapala's in my arsenal, I landed a nice fat male Salmon last year on the rainbow one. I know what you mean about big fish on big tackle vs smaller fish on smaller tackle...can't beat it. I'd rather fish the LC tribs for the smaller LL, but would still like to hook into of those huge Kings someday...hopefully soon. The Steelhead run in the Salmon Hole is great as well, I landed well over 20 last year, and lost probably a dozen. I've also heard of big Browns and Lakers too. I saw an easy 20 LB+ Laker swimming around the hole last year...spotted it 3-4 times near the surface, he wouldn't touch a lure or bait... The easily accessible shores make the Salmon Hole a great place to fish, even without waders. I won't break mine out for another week or so until it cools off, I get hot in my waders easily since they're a little too small. I've had most my luck with crawlers, but a size 2 or 3 Vibrax is always a hot item down there. Let me know if you decide to come down, I'll most likely be fishing down there as well if it's going to be on a weekend or even some weekdays.