Lakers and fleas

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
freshguy
Species: landlocksalmon

Lakers and fleas

Post by freshguy »

We started out with high hopes Wednesday after the great bite Tuesday evening. We set up on the ridge south of Thompson's, trolled around the point into Converse. Same setup, riggers with cheaters and slide divers. Picked up a few lakers, then headed across to Split Rock. We did get one 20" silver along with 2 lakers before the wind picked up. Trolled NY side past Snake Den picking up lakers along the way. Turned NE, quartering into the breeze. Got a nice 5 1/2 salmon just off the mansion. Top producers were CI Sausage Milkshake Gravy, Scorpion UV Kickin Chicken and a blue and white Sutton 61 with red stripe.
Back to Thompson's for evening troll. Wow, what a change in the water! In the morning on the north side of point the water was 51.5 down 30'. In the evening down 30' it was 55! I guess the north wind really blew the warm water in. From Wednesday evening all day and night Thursday and Friday morning we caught plenty of lakers, biggest running 6-8 lbs, but our luck ran out on the salmon. We covered both sides of the lake from Split Rock to Partridge. The wind blew away most of the pollen and weeds, but the fleas were all over the lines. Temps varied quite a bit depending on location. All in all it was a great trip on a beautiful lake. We'll be back November 16, can't wait!
Brimstone Troller
Species: Trout/Salmon/Bass

Re: Lakers and fleas

Post by Brimstone Troller »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good trip.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

This is my first season trolling so I've little experience with fleas. But, today they were annoying.

I assume it gets worse through the summer?
Brimstone Troller
Species: Trout/Salmon/Bass

Post by Brimstone Troller »

Put on heavier line they can't hold on to bigger line. I have had success with 30lb, and I think 20lb also. I'm putting 20lb on for my trip in a couple weeks.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice report! The lakers have been very hungry lately.

I run 17lb main line and the fleas were hanging onto that Friday morning between Thompson's and the mansion. I would assume you'd have to go bigger than 20lb to keep them off. I have a spool of 40lb Big Game ready to go. Plan on putting 100ft or so on my rigger rods when fishing the broad lake. I heard there have been a few fleas seen in the inland sea, too, but they don't usually get too bad there. I didn't see any Saturday morning.
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Post by Dead lake »

30 lbs blood line runs clean