FINDING SALMON

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

FINDING SALMON

Post by tamiron »

I NOTICED THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE WERE REPORTING THEIR RESULTS ON THIS FORUM. SO I DECIDED TO CREATE PARALELLE THREAD THAT WILL ATTEMPT TO UTILIZE BOTH CONCEPTS.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
tamiron

Re: FINDING SALMON

Post by tamiron »

DrCaddis wrote: Out of Willsboro Bay launching at 9am on Sunday. Headed to Corlear bay off Browns point. Trolled back and forth across the bay north of Port Douglas in 120+ water with riggers at both 95 and 75 with sliders on both. Hooked 3 salmon on PEARL -ENHNC RAINBOW-BLUE/PINK honeybee by Tamiron as a slider on the 75 footer, nothing on bottom on that side. Landed 8 lakers, no size but lots of lamprey marks on the bottom 95 footer on GREEN/WHITE large honeybee. All were at 2.20 MPH Tons of fun, off the water at 3:45. Went back out on Monday with anticipated single digit wind and found ourselves in 3 foot waves and 15-20 mph winds from the southeast once we hit Corlear bay, caught one laker same as the day before then worked our way off the water to fish another day ;) Ill be back next week for sure if the weather allows. Hoping to do the Frostbite for the first time.
Please note the 120+FOW and the riggers set at 75 & 90. The 90 took lakers on the bottom and the sliders on 75 ,at about 35', took 3 salmon. Blue/Pink for salmon and Green/Pearl for lakers. 2.2 mph. If you have higher seas please keep Streamer flies in your presentation as their action is not compromised by wind and waves as are spoons. Note the spoons the day before were Honeybees, but did not produce as well with potential erratic, compromised, action the next day as is the case with most spoons or action based lures.

Dr. Caddis, thank you very much for sharing.
Last edited by tamiron on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

You can always use the moon and get a full moon monster at Noon

Howling at the moon... :twisted:
Attachments
808B6C12-FFED-408F-9722-A46ADD74FC71.jpeg
808B6C12-FFED-408F-9722-A46ADD74FC71.jpeg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Reelax wrote:Update... no dept, lure color, setback info included as we are just to close to the shootout... :shock:

The update is that this fish had small 2-3” smelt only in its belly...

6.4 lbs on the scale this morning... not bad for Oct... they aren’t all up the rivers

And some really nice fillets...
Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words!

Let me go out on a limb(s). If this fish was not full of eggs, no kype, this late...not a male, not dark enough, still eating, not (no eggs)spawned out, she is either a very late spawner or won't spawn again until next year. Atlantics that return to spawn more than once do so every other year normally.

Feeding on this years smelt normally found relatively high in the water column ... top 35 feet over ??? X amount of water.... Find the bait, hooks underneath, upside down u shaped bait ball.... Smelt imitating lures should work best in 2-3" size. Stay away from traffic, use a set of blades or other attractors to draw the fish into your spread and run a few 75" plus lines in your pattern. Remember not marking much bait or predators, but seeing fish "bust water" means stealth and keep lures away from boat ... explore surface to 10 feet. Lot of speculation .... but much better than going for a boat ride. It is a starting point .... not to catch a lot of shakers but that one you'd like for the shoot-out
Last edited by tamiron on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

tamiron wrote:
Reelax wrote:Update... no dept, lure color, setback info included as we are just to close to the shootout... :shock:

6.4 lbs on the scale this morning... not bad for Oct... they aren’t all up the rivers

Let me go out on a limb(s). If this fish was full of eggs, no kype, this late...not a male, not dark enough, still eating, not spawned out, she is either a very late spawner or won't spawn again until next year. Atlantics that return to spawn more than once do so every other year normally.

Feeding on this years smelt normally found relatively high in the water column ... top 35 feet over ??? X amount of water.... Find the bait, hooks underneath, upside down u shaped bait ball.... Smelt imitating lures should work best in 2-3" size. Stay away from traffic, use a set of blades or other attractors to draw the fish into your spread and run a few 75" plus lines in your pattern. Remember not marking much bait or predators, but seeing fish "bust water" means stealth and keep lures away from boat ... explore surface to 10 feet. Lot of speculation .... but much better than going for a boat ride. It is a starting point.

She was barren of eggs with just the slightest tinge of fall coloring... Your insight as to what was going on is AMAZING.... Uncanny... U really need to get back to VT and spend sometime trolling with me so I can learn more!! We HAD seen multiple salmon busting surface, and I DIDNT mention that.... HMMMMMM Uncanny

Thanks Jim
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Reelax wrote:
tamiron wrote:

Let me go out on a limb(s). If this fish was full of eggs, no kype, this late...not a male, not dark enough, still eating, not spawned out, she is either a very late spawner or won't spawn again until next year. Atlantics that return to spawn more than once do so every other year normally.

Feeding on this years smelt normally found relatively high in the water column ... top 35 feet over ??? X amount of water.... Find the bait, hooks underneath, upside down u shaped bait ball.... Smelt imitating lures should work best in 2-3" size. Stay away from traffic, use a set of blades or other attractors to draw the fish into your spread and run a few 75" plus lines in your pattern. Remember not marking much bait or predators, but seeing fish "bust water" means stealth and keep lures away from boat ... explore surface to 10 feet. Lot of speculation .... but much better than going for a boat ride. It is a starting point.

She was barren of eggs with just the slightest tinge of fall coloring... Your insight as to what was going on is AMAZING.... Uncanny... U really need to get back to VT and spend sometime trolling with me so I can learn more!! We HAD seen multiple salmon busting surface, and I DIDNT mention that.... HMMMMMM Uncanny

Thanks Jim
I would like nothing better !!!!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Jim. I am serious. I have put multiple fishing crews up at my house in the last few years. Name a date and I will do my best to set aside a 5 star tour of Champlain.Ill even pic you up at the airport... Doc Mooney has had recent shoulder damage that may effect his ability to match your reeling fight, but I think I could setup a trip for you 2 to have a reunion...

Fish on!!! Let’s do it!

I’m fishing year around... name a date...
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Reelax wrote:Jim. I am serious. I have put multiple fishing crews up at my house in the last few years. Name a date and I will do my best to set aside a 5 star tour of Champlain.Ill even pic you up at the airport... Doc Mooney has had recent shoulder damage that may effect his ability to match your reeling fight, but I think I could setup a trip for you 2 to have a reunion...

Fish on!!! Let’s do it!

I’m fishing year around... name a date...

Disclaimer... I DONOT charge $ these are friendly trips just ask Gecha, Controlled Caos, and River-rat. I am NOT a guide. :roll: and NEVER will be...
Matt B