walleyes

septageguy
Species: all

Re: walleyes

Post by septageguy »

I wonder if this would work with walleyes?

Then there's the Maine lobster. As University of Maine anthropologist James M. Acheson put it in his 2003 book "Capturing the Commons: Devising Institutions to Manage the Maine Lobster Industry":

Since the late 1980s, catches have been at record-high levels despite decades of intense exploitation. We have never produced so many lobsters. Even more interesting to managers is the fact that catch levels remained relatively stable from 1947 to the late 1980s. While scientists do not agree on the reason for these high catches, there is a growing consensus that they are due, in some measure, to the long history of effective regulations that the lobster industry has played a key role in developing.

Two of the most prominent and straightforward regulations are that lobsters must be thrown back in the water not only if they are too small but also if they are too big (because mature lobsters produce the most offspring), and that egg-bearing females must not only be thrown back but also marked (by notches cut in their tails) as off-limits for life. Acheson calls this "parametric management" -- the rules "control 'how' fishing is done," not how many lobsters are caught -- and concludes that "Although this approach is not supported by fisheries scientists in general, it appears to work well in the lobster fishery."

I wonder why it isn't supported by the scientists, even though it "appears to" have worked exceptionally well since 1947.....

I would argue Lake Champlain shows this with Bass - even though some of the big ones are kept, the vast majority are released. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....I know there are other factors with walleye, but Canada supports this type of management, in some places.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Hmmmm.... larger fish not only tend to be more successful and produce thousands more offspring spawning, but are also much more likely to carry "heavy metals" in their soft tissues that are damaging to our health. I like the theory. Just getting people/state to actually instate catch and release mentalities for such fish is where the issue lies. Once you put a few "pigs" back actually can feel more rewarding. It is everyone's right to play buy the rules and I believe that just by talking about it more can do nothing but help. Keep on it septageguy. Tight lines to all!
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Also I'm guessing that the main problem may be that replica mounts don't taste as good as the real deal!
A White
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

For the last 5 years there is a slot limit in Quebec and we are seing more and more walleyes and big walleye too. The big one are not so tasty and has mentionne there is a lot of all kind of metals and things that are not so good for you're health.
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

If they fit in a pan... then that's it for them man!
A White
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Dont know whats going on this spring their still not in the rivers?
Weird year.
High Plains Drifter
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Spawning is late this year up-here to; guys are catching female full of eggs so they return in the water.
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Why not... some start early (40°) some finish late (50°) Big lake... possibility of multiple gene pools
A White
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

I think the rain pushed the first school out.
Lake is starting to turn soon up here so I think stuff is going to happen.
High Plains Drifter
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

I no in the 70s there was alot of spearing them going on in the tributaries, during spawning !
"OFF SEASON"