Nose of a bloodhound?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Nose of a bloodhound?

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Reading through some old Field and Stream mags I came across this!! " Salmon secrete a fear pheromone that gets on your line when they are hooked. If you dont cut your leader down and rerig after landing a salmon, the others will smell the pheromone on the line and wont touch it". I guess I never heard of this but maybe it explains why I only catch one!!!! Sleeps
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Re: Nose of a bloodhound?

Post by WildFisherWoman »

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

However...
There is also the "Predator attractant" (hypothesis), which is just the opposite, it attracts fish vs. scare them off.
The predator attractant hypothesis proposes that the main purpose of schreckstoff is to attract additional predators to the area (Smith 1992). According to this hypothesis, additional predators will interact with the initial predator, and these interactions will provide the sender with an opportunity to escape. A number of conditions must be met to support this hypothesis. First, schreckstoff must attract predators. Second, subsequent predators must disrupt the predation event, thereby increasing the probability that the prey will escape. Third, the sender must be able to recover from the mechanical damage incurred during the predation event...
The whole "fear pheromone" in fish is theory, guesses, and assumptions.
I'm not a believer.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Maybe if you believe that the predator fear pheromone theory might be some fact... maybe we should be spraying our lures with some type of fish attractant?
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

And some do Walt.
Smelly Jelly, Smelt rite, etc...
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Renuzit Citrus is what the Admiral recommends. Shhhh.....don't tell anyone I told you.

The fear comes when they hear that sizzling fry pan ! Otherwise they know it's for play.....

I've used it for years and some days it can make a believer when running the same flies and the one on the sprayed side keeps going ZZZZZZZZZ. Fish On !
Fish On!