BoatUS Magazine...Three Ethanol Myths Clarified

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

BoatUS Magazine...Three Ethanol Myths Clarified

Post by raz »

Everyone seems to have their opinion on ethanol.
Here's an article written by Bob Adriance, Editor of Seaworthy, the BoatUS Marine Insurance damage-avoidance publication.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/dec ... thanol.asp
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Re: BoatUS Magazine...Three Ethanol Myths Clarified

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I read that Raz a few days ago. I am back to a full tank of fuel topping off during the season every 2-3 trips and full for winter storage. Full circle. Too much of a hassle to drain tank and manage less than half a tank of fuel during the season (did that for one season in 2010). Motor manufactures are back to advising keeping your tank full during the off-season during storage. Makes sense about condensation can occur on inside tank walls if tank is not full or empty.

I have never experienced an issue in the spring with a full tank treated over the winter (27 years). Even 3 years with ethanol.

Sometimes micro managing a fuel system can be more of a pain than it's worth based on the prior ethanol fears by the media.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

In my line of work, I see a lot of issues with fuel (kerosene) that contain moisture from condensation when stored in outdoors tanks. I fully understand keeping a "full" tank to reduce or eliminate condensation issues. It's been an on-going issue since fuel-oil and kerosene became home heating fuels, stored outdoors, way back when.

A few years back when I became familiar with ethanol in gasoline and realized the similarities with storing Kerosene outdoors, I made it a point to keep my boat tank fairly full.
Thursday before I hit the water, I topped off my tank. It only took six gallons, and that was after two other trips! (Which leads me to believe my Merc gets pretty darn good "mileage" when the air temps are cold! :)
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Interesting article, Raz, thanks for posting.