Reels?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
TUnamas

Reels?

Post by TUnamas »

I fish mostly Okuma Magdas, and I get 2 seasons from them. I know others fish Okuma Coldwaters, but their longevity isn't much better. I also have Abu 6500 and 5500 reels, which aren't line counters, but they are up to the Champlain game. Any suggestions for a solid reel? I own several Avet SX's but that's too much. Looking for a good mid market but reliable reel. Are they all disposable?!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Reels?

Post by Reelax »

I have bought 8 Okuma coldwaters over the last 2 years and like them... one has started acting up after being frozen hard with caked ice on it a few weeks back during a rough crossing.. The drag still seems rough after it has thawed. I haven’t given up on it as a good cleaning and oiling May resolve the issue... I wonder if there is anything more rugged out there?
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

2seasons ? I have some cabela's 20 and 30's that sit in the sun , wind and rain, in the boat, from May to October that are 15 years old! Never done a thing to them. Fish 250 hours a year, and the combo when they have them , are less than $70. Also have a 25 year old Diawa Gret Lakes Special that I still use, but the plastic knob on the handle is smashed. I just got an Okuma, we'll see. I am very tough on my equipment, and buy at least one rod a year, but the reels last forever.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I run some Okuma Magdas Pro reels and they are OK. I don't like the drags as they are very touchy, at least on my reels. Just a small movement of the star drag seems to make a big difference on the amount of applied drag. I have started using Daiwa Sealine reels and, so far, I like them better than the Okumas. The drag is better and I like the clicker better also. I only have two of these reels at this time and they have been working well for 2 years. I will continue to replay the Okumas with the Diawa's unless I find something I like better.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Shimano I have eight on board some better than 20 yrs old. Haven’t done a thing to them other than replace line. One thing I don’t do is leave them out in the weather. Take care of them when not in use and they will take care of you . GT 100 and 200
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I've had good luck with Diawa Sealines and Accudepths. The Sealines are really nice reels for the price. No linecounter issues. I don't fish as much as others, though.

The Cabela's reels are not what they used to be. I have 1 that is 5-6yrs old and it is junk. The linecounter never really worked right and now the clicker is shot.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

My buddy and I also run the Shimano GT's, haven't had any issues. Just started with a couple of Sea Lines but the Accudepths I've owned are junk. Good luck to all!!!!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Crayfish wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:31 am I've had good luck with Diawa Sealines and Accudepths. The Sealines are really nice reels for the price. No linecounter issues. I don't fish as much as others, though.

The Cabela's reels are not what they used to be. I have 1 that is 5-6yrs old and it is junk. The linecounter never really worked right and now the clicker is shot.
I have at least 10 of the Cabela's rigged and ready at most times. I change my lures on shore, and have a few different lures ready so I don't have to tie lures solo. Maybe because I spread the wear a little they last for me. I like the newer ones better. They have a larger handle. Try the 30's instead of the 20"s. I have lost the clicker on a few, but the free spool and drag system always holds up.
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

I'm with C-Hawk on this. I have a couple of Cabelas that are at least 12-15 years old that I still run on my leadcore rigs. I also have a couple newer ones that are maybe 5yrs old that perform flawlessly. The 15 series size is a perfect reel for LC, as long as you aren't taking them to the big O
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

I have Abu Garcia 5500 line counters on my down rigger rods (2). The have stood up well with minimal maintenance for 10 seasons, no issues. The only downside is the drag. It works fine, but is only 8lbs of force. Which is fine for salmon, but a 10lb laker will take some finesse. For flatlining I’ve been using Abu Garcia C3 6500’s spooled with 15 lb metered Fireline. Just count the colors like lead core. Works great. Same reels for lead core. My slide diver rods have Daiwa Sealine 27 line counters which have been trouble free for 4 seasons. Slide divers and dipsy’s can be hard on reels. No issues with the Diawa’s.