Suggested Safety Upgrade for Frostbiting

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Suggested Safety Upgrade for Frostbiting

Post by Detritus »

So, perhaps one of the most potentially dangerous things about frostbiting, is the lack of support from other boats on the water if you have a major problem such as taking on water. When all but maybe 1 ramp on the lake is frozen in, and fishing out there on one vessel, it's pretty much up to you to get to dry land.

Here's a little piece of emergency gear I put together this past week.

IMAG1553.jpg
IMAG1553.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 756 times

That is a 12v submersible pump that is rated to pump 4000 gallons an hour. This thing is capable of keeping up with a pretty good sized leak in your boat, until you can beach it on land.

After slowly trolling by some 800 lb 6" thick nearly invisible chunks of huge black ice chunks this winter, I thought a good backup pump might be in order, so as not to end up like that other "Jack" from the Titanic movie.

Here is where I got it from. It was about $120.

https://pumpdepot.us/product/submersibl ... od_id=1699

I also bought some 50a alligator clips from the local hardware store (Aubuchon), as well as a 1 1/4" sump pump hose kit. Those two items were less than $20. I cut a lot of hose off too, it was way more than I needed.

The last part needed or not really needed I guess for emergency use only, is an inline fuse holder, and extra fuses. I already had that stuff on hand. It calls for a 22 Amp fuse, I used a 25, didn't have any 22s around. It's too big, but, this isn't a permanent installation.

Here's a picture of the box, in case the link quits working some day.

IMAG1556.jpg
IMAG1556.jpg (61.72 KiB) Viewed 756 times

And the dimensions in mm to see if it will fit in your space.

IMAG1555.jpg
IMAG1555.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 756 times

If I were going to have a bad leak in my boat, the water would end up in the bilge in front of my outboard.

IMAG1554.jpg
IMAG1554.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 756 times

Luckily, even though this thing is a tank of a pump, it still fits down the hole. There is a removable cap that is off in that picture. It's a pretty standard access hole, I think about 8".

IMAG1549.jpg
IMAG1549.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 756 times

I figured I would run the hose out the side of the boat, so as not to possibly interfere with some engines making a last ditch run to shore to save her owner.

IMAG1552.jpg
IMAG1552.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 756 times

And I did the color coded alligator clip thing, for a few reasons. Simplicity in an emergency, the ability to bypass the entire electrical system on the boat, and still have it run, and the ability to easily transfer it to another vessel in distress. Hooks up quickly and easily on the Country Angler. There is a battery on either side of the transom well. Plus, you can store it in your heated area when fishing in extreme temperatures, and the impeller of the pump is ready to go when needed.

IMAG1550.jpg
IMAG1550.jpg (61.9 KiB) Viewed 756 times
IMAG1551.jpg
IMAG1551.jpg (71.99 KiB) Viewed 756 times

I recommend soldering your connections for reliability. I hooked this thing up to a crummy old battery I had lying around, and it drained a 5 gallon bucket in less than 10 seconds. While probably not actually 4000 gallons an hour, this thing still blows away normal bilge pumps in the ability to throw some water.

For about $150 this could be the difference between a story told to your friends, and a story told on the news. I'm looking forward to never needing mine, but, having it just in case.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Suggested Safety Upgrade for Frostbiting

Post by Reelax »

That is so ironic Jack. I have almost the same setup. I use a portable bilge pump, hose and alligator clip hook up. It saved me in my old Lund sport fisherman many years ago...
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I carry a spare pump also. Back before I rebuilt the transom, if the pump failed, I would've had to go in. Always carried a pump that I use for aeration in a cooler as my live well in the derbies. It could also be used to empty a boat quick. Still carry it for backup.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Reminds me of the the adage.... “the most effective boat baler is a scared man and a bucket”
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Wdrnr wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:31 am Reminds me of the the adage.... “the most effective boat baler is a scared man and a bucket”
Ben there on that too, with a 5 gallon bucket as fast as I could fill it, 3 miles out.