Reels?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Smelt_seeker
Species: Salmon

Reels?

Post by Smelt_seeker »

I have been running okuma magdas, they are ok but not quite best for heavy use salmon fishing. Look for somthing little better. So far I have been looking at okuma cold waters or the convetors. Like to stay around the $100 mark. What are people running and liking?
Kyle smith
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Reels?

Post by Reelax »

Kyle, I have been running the Okuma cold waters for a couple of seasons now and are very impressed with them. They have a great drag system. The 203d series will handle mono and the 303d is good for lead or heavy mono when the fleas are out....

Good luck...
Matt B
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

i have over 20 magdas and convectors.i really havent had many issues with the magdas.if you go to okumas website and compare the cold waters,convectors,and magdas,the only big difference is the magdas dont come with carbon fiber drag washers.you can upgrade your magdas with carbon fiber dragmaster drag washers for around 15-20 bucks a reel,if you have someone do it for you,the drag washers are only around six bucks if you can do it yourself..if you are just fishing champlain and other adirondack lakes,i wouldnt waste the money on going to the convector or cold water,just upgrade the drags in your magdas.just my two cents and thats about what its worth!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I also have many magdas and converters. Hard to beat for the price.
Quality is good and they require little maintenance.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Smelt_seeker

Post by Smelt_seeker »

Reelax wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 pm Kyle, I have been running the Okuma cold waters for a couple of seasons now and are very impressed with them. They have a great drag system. The 203d series will handle mono and the 303d is good for lead or heavy mono when the fleas are out....

Good luck...

Thanks for the info, i think im going with the cold waters.
Kyle smith
Smelt_seeker

Post by Smelt_seeker »

finsntins wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:21 pm i have over 20 magdas and convectors.i really havent had many issues with the magdas.if you go to okumas website and compare the cold waters,convectors,and magdas,the only big difference is the magdas dont come with carbon fiber drag washers.you can upgrade your magdas with carbon fiber dragmaster drag washers for around 15-20 bucks a reel,if you have someone do it for you,the drag washers are only around six bucks if you can do it yourself..if you are just fishing champlain and other adirondack lakes,i wouldnt waste the money on going to the convector or cold water,just upgrade the drags in your magdas.just my two cents and thats about what its worth!!!!
The magada are ok reels definitely do the job, just looking for something little better. The heavy uses i put mine through they just haven’t held up like I hoped.
Kyle smith