Scotty Retrievers, 15 lb balls, and Winter Carpet for the Country Angler

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Scotty Retrievers, 15 lb balls, and Winter Carpet for the Country Angler

Post by Detritus »

I try to do a little something for the boat every week. This week wasn't very exciting, but I got a few little things done.

Earlier this spring I replaced two old cannon mag10 riggers with my Scotty electrics I used to run on Detritus, because the cannons could barely handle 8 lb balls at a snails pace. My Scotty's are 20 years old, but like everything else I own, I took apart, refurbished, and they work great.

When I switched them over to the Country Angler, I also added 5' booms, and just swapped the cannon weight retrievers over. Issue was, the cannon retrievers are a pulley style, and you couldn't use auto stop beads.

I'm not always up on all of the products out there, but one day I came across the Scotty ones that allow the beads to pass through them. So, I ordered a couple.

IMAG1452.jpg
IMAG1452.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 575 times

With soap, and moving the rubber stopper thing off of my termination snap, (and a little heat) I was able to stuff it all through the green thing without redoing the crimps and thimbles and everything.

Since everybody's fishing so deep right now, I figured we'd up our Scotty weights from 12 to 15. I also went from cast steel, or iron or something, to lead. These 15s are the same size as the 12s. I'm hoping it will reduce blowback. Heavier weights, same surface area, right?

IMAG1453.jpg
IMAG1453.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 575 times

Only thing was, they were uncoated. With lead being a neuro toxin and everything, and your hands turning black when you touch them, and all of the eating that goes on our boat, I figured I had better coat them in something.

I went to Lowe's and bought 4 cans of plasti dip for tool handles. I think it was about $27. Now, I don't usually tout products as something good that has impressed me, but, this stuff on rigger balls did.

You had to use 4 cans to dip these balls, but, only 2 cans turned into coating. I cleaned them with acetone, and used mechanics wire to make two little things to hang them on to dry. Dipped them twice in 30 minutes, and the coating is really tough. I'd recommend it for sure.

The last thing I did this week, was a 15 minute carpet job for the back deck.

I measured the deck and made a plan.

IMAG1451.jpg
IMAG1451.jpg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 575 times

Found an old area rug thing, marker, and knife.

IMAG1449.jpg
IMAG1449.jpg (72.84 KiB) Viewed 575 times

And here it is "installed", or thrown in the back deck, which is how you install it. We had been using towels when it was below freezing for the slip hazard, but, this will be way better. It actually came out awesome, haha.

IMAG1450.jpg
IMAG1450.jpg (88.54 KiB) Viewed 575 times

Sometimes those half-***'d ideas turn out to be permanent solutions, when some of my most thought out attempts are total trash. Like my first hinges on my homemade wingers for example. I probably spent $20, and 2 hours on those dumb things, only to throw them away.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Scotty Retrievers, 15 lb balls, and Winter Carpet for the Country Angler

Post by Reelax »

Great stuff Jack!!! The carpet in the winter is a real safety improvement. Some days a rubber mat still gets icy and slippery if it gets cold enough... I can vouch for the strength and longevity of the Scotty riggers. I have a pair of depth throwers that came on a boat I bought many years ago, and they were aged when I bought that boat. They are probably well over 25 years old and all I have done is change a belt.
The retrievers from Scotty are also great, been using them forever as well they also don’t ice up like the pulley style seems to..

Thanks for the looks!
Matt B