Boat winterizing

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Boat winterizing

Post by striper192001 »

Hey guys,

Just got back into fishing and this forum has been great help to me. Would like to winterize my boat myself and are looking for advice. Have a 2012 Mercury 150 hp four stroke. Have checke out you tube vids and feel I can handle it. Questions:
Have you found place this morning to buy oem items; oil, filters, gear oil, etc.
Do you use oem lubes ?
Do you use the tubes for gear oil or bulk with pump......will be doing this for years
What do you use for fogging spray?
Any other advice?
Thanks much !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Boat winterizing

Post by Reelax »

Bought my boat new in Feb of 2015 and have never winterized it. Boat has been wet almost every week the lake isn’t froze since then... if you use it you don’t have to winterize at all...

I would think Walmart has everything you need unless you want oem, then you may want to work with a dealer... Some people don’t even fog cylinders but In VT it is a good idea from what I have heard.

Good luck
Matt B
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I agree with Reelax, Walmart marine fluids are fine. Most lubes are manufactured by the same company and rebranded. My main engine is 37 years old and my Honda kicker is 34 years old. No issues with Walmart stuff over many years and hundreds of hours. There's a lot of fancy snake oil out there.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Definitely get a small pump for getting the lube in the lower unit. They're cheap.
________
Mike
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

The lower unit takes more than 1 tube, so the pump is better, also neater. I use OEM for my Merc. 115 4 stroke. A bit more expensive, but I feel better doing it. The only other oil filter I would use would be Wix. Not much difference in price. I have always treated my fuel and run it through for a bit, shut it down and stored it. Just a matter of preference.