Starting Battery for Frostbiting

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Starting Battery for Frostbiting

Post by keithm87 »

I am looking for advice on a battery for my boat. I have always run Everstart marine batteries (Maxx usually but I have 2 regular), they are great in terms of capacity and have always been effective in starting putting out 800 MCA. But They don't seem super effective in the cold. I had one fully charged this past weekend and kept it warm in the truck to the launch, fired the boat up no issue. At the end of the day when I shut her down and pulled the boat out I went to do the quick fire up to clear the pee hole, and it wouldnt even crank. It would barely run the trim tilt with the motor off also. Pulled it and put it on a charger after warming it up and it reads 98% and was done charging in 20 minutes.
SO I am looking for suggestions on what I should get to ensure that I can keep fishing later into the season. What do you all use for the starting motor to run motor and finder, riggers, fishawk, ipad.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Starting Battery for Frostbiting

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Could it be an issue with your motor not charging enough when you are trolling?
Usually a motor at trolling speed may not supplying enough current to compensate while running the riggers, lights, electronics, and water pumps. But if you don't abuse your electric consumption, without recharging, your battery should have enough power for many starts during the day.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

No because when I warm the battery and charge it it’s almost full when I put it on charge. And it’s the same battery I ran all summer.its just not putting out amps when it’s cold out.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Kicking this topic back up. Still looking for advice on a battery that can start the boat in cold and can run my accessories (Fishhawk, 2-4 big jons, Huminbird, and a phone/ipad charger.) I am still struggling with the Everstarts in cold weather. They work great for deep cycle long term usage (run them in my ice shanty and get 4 days running lights and fans and other stuff) but they dont like cold starts just get click click click and the trim tilt goes super slow. Would a normal truck battery be my best method?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Put a light bulb, ( trouble light?) next to your battery the night before you fish. Also , my motor will not fire if the battery is putting out less than 10 volts. Sounds like it is turning over fine, but it needs 10 to operate the electronic stuff and make spark. I always carry a booster pack, cheap insurance, and now use it way before the battery goes down. I too have learned the hard way.
Even when I ran 2 or more batteries, one was always a cranking battery, not deep cycle.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

If you run more than one battery , you should be using a selector switch. You can select A or B, or, A+B if you need extra boost. Also, even though I only run one battery now with the 4 stroke and a great alternator system, I always shut my electrical off completely, with the switch. I have a small drain somewhere in my stuff, but it is easier to disconnect than finding it.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Keith - I have an Interstate Marine Starting battery in my boat and haven't had any issues turning the motor over in the cold. I also have a battery switch, as C-Hawk mentioned, so I can shut everything off and make sure there are no drains on the battery when it isn't being used. I'm getting ready to put a 2nd battery in so I can run the riggers off their own battery, too. Summer Laker fishing in 100' of water makes me nervous when only running 1 battery!
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Post by kman05446 »

I run two batteries with no switch. Battery #1 is for cranking the big motor only. Battery #2 runs everything else(lights, marine radio, sonar, Fish Hawk, 3 Big Jons, live wells & bilge pump . The kicker motor keeps battery #2 charged. I do unplug the marine radio after each trip. It draws a little to keep its memory of channels I entered. Have no issues in 25+ years.
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

Keith,

Check your grounds . Also, check your cables with an Ohm meter. Corrosion results in resistance and may lower the delivered voltage enough to cause a problem when the batteries are not fully charged. Cables less than three feet should not have more than 0.03 ohms. It is easy enough to check and inexpensive.

Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"