Starcraft touch up paint

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Starcraft touch up paint

Post by fishmaster176 »

Looking for touchup paint for an '88 Starcraft aluminum. It' a dark blue. Trying to clean up a nice old open bow 16 footer with a Merc. Classic 50. Someone had a name painted on the sides and I am removing it. I tried wet sanding with 600 grit, but it's going too deep. I tried Goof Off, but it did nothing. Sanels used to be able to mix paint by code, then insert it into aerosol cans. They may have marine codes. Any ideas to remove old letters? Thanks, Fred
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: Starcraft touch up paint

Post by dry net »

carefully with a heat gun then goo-gone
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

It's painted lettering, not stickons. I even tried paint remover, but was afraid of going through the original paint.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Bring your boat to Sanel and have them take a photo of the color they might match. Sometimes they can and sometimes they won't have that same color based on thousands of automotive color codes. Due to the fading of a 30 year old color it makes it even more of a challenge unless you paint the entire side it's likely not going to match. They don't have marine color codes in their system. Painting the entire blue over again might be the only option with a color that isn't exact.