Leadcore setup

DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Leadcore setup

Post by DrCaddis »

Hi crew, I just picked up two new rods and counter reels and would like to try leadcore but have never done it so I could use some expert setup advice. I know there are colors and I always see how many colors someone is using. My question I guess is. What weight backing? What weight leadcore and how long of a leader from leadcore and what weight leader. I’m looking to setup for fall salmon when they start staging and Lakers as they come up from the deep. Any advice would be great. Thanks, probably will not fish LC till the fall when the fleas go away.
JDK
Species: Togue

Re: Leadcore setup

Post by JDK »

I use 7 colors of Tuff Line Microleadcore (15 pound test), backed with a reel full of 20 pound Ande mono. 30 feet of 10 pound Seaguar fluorocarbon for leader. If I have to go more than 7 colors I'm switching to divers/riggers.

I put the remaining 3 colors on another reel set up the same way for earlier/late season.

I have had no issues with the Tuff line bleeding or with any break through. That said, my next leadcore will be Sufix 832.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

JDK has the right rig. I don't fish LC beyond 3 colors, as then I move to mini disks. I have a rod with 2 colors and another with 3, so they are easily deployable. Each has a 50 foot 12 lb line to a swivel, and then a 10 lb tippet/leader to the lure. Some days lead fires but my history with lead isn't great. I run lc early season down the chute, but mini disks give me greater flexibility.
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Post by DrCaddis »

Thank you so much for the reply. Great info now I can begin setting up. I’ve tried the mini divers and guess I just need to really see them in action because I must be doing something wrong. But looking forward to the leadcore adventure
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Like these guys, I broke my 10 colors of lead up into 4pcs .... 1 - 5 color, 1 - 3 color and 2 - 1 colors. This gives me a lot of options for depths that I can target. My setup is similar to the others, as well. I have small reels, so I used 30lb braid for the backer, then the lead, then 50' of 17lb mono to a small SPRO swivel, then 4-5' of 10lb test flouro. Love it in the spring for salmon and I'll use it throughout the summer for pulling crankbaits for bass, pike, walleye, etc. Let's me get shallow divers to a more defined depth.

I'm using Tuff-line Microlead. I get 5' per color at 2.5mph when pulling small spoons ... tested with a Fishhawk TD.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

This is all good advice. I like using lead core and have had better luck w/ it than other trolling gear.

I'll second what's been said and can add that if you will be using inline planer boards, they can slip if your backer is mono, but they hold well to a braid backer.

You always want all the lead line submerged while trolling - it can be damaged if its clipped to an inline planer or even if its running through the eyelets on your rod while trolling, so make sure to have enough backer to get the lead into the water where it will sink, and still have enough backer on the reel so you don't get spooled when a big fish hits.

Personally I like using 20+ lb braid backer, 18-lb sufix LC, 30 ft of 14-lb mono, then either an inline flasher or dodger then a fluoro leader to the spoon or streamer, or a small swivel and then 10 or so feet of 12-lb fluoro to the spoon/stick. You always want the heavier line towards the spool so if you get snagged and break-off you should only lose the leader and lure.

I use the double uni knot for all line-to-line connections and have never had one fail (knock on wood...)

2 to 6 colors seems best in the fall.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !