Sweet spot

Papatom
Species: Salmon

Sweet spot

Post by Papatom »

Was looking thru this forum earlier and found some 2018 posts for finding the sweet spot for catching larger
salmon. The people were talking about thier spreads and some details of the spreads. One fellow mentioned rigger setbacks, one clean and one with blades? Not sure what he meant but i think he meant one rigger had just a spoon on it (clean) and one had some spinner blades wth a trailing spoon (blades).
I cant refind the post so my question to u experts is do you think my assumption above is correct. Blades mean spinner blades.

Thanks as always. Love this forum. Just getting started on champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Sweet spot

Post by C-Hawk »

That may have been me. I like to run one line way back off the rigger, and when fishing solo, wich happens a lot, I use verticle blades on the rigger cable. See fish 307. And , I like to keep my life within 30' of the blades.
Papatom
Species: Salmon

Post by Papatom »

Not sure what u are saying, but now know what nlades meant. Thanks
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

You are correct. "Clean" refers to no attractors and "Blades" refers to attractors used in conjunction with your lure.

There are 2 types of "blades" .... vertical and horizontal. C-Hawk was saying he usually uses vertical blades. These attach to the downrigger cable just before the ball. You can then run your lure behind the blades. I think most people will run the lure pretty tight to the blades, like 5-10' back. This way it looks like a minnow got separated from the pack and will be easy pickings! I believe Hammerhead is a brand that makes vertical blades.

Horizontal blades (also called cowbells) are the old school way of attracting attention. Dave Davis lake trolls were one of the originals and you can still get them. These were originally intended to go on your line ahead of your lure. That gets old, though, because you have to fight the blades as much as the fish. I attach horizontal blades right to the back of my downrigger ball. Then I will set my line in the release so that the lure ends up about 1-2' above and 1-2' behind the tail end of the blades. Again, looking like a straggler. This works great on lakers, and sometimes salmon, too. A spoon, shallow diving stickbait or spin n' glo (https://www.fishusa.com/Rapture-Trollin ... wgQAvD_BwE ) will all work great behind the cowbells for lakers.

Good luck!