Ulterra with i-pilot link

striper192001
Species: salmon

Ulterra with i-pilot link

Post by striper192001 »

Can I chat with someone who has been using one of these for trout/salmon. Just want to understand some things before I drop some cash.
Thanks,

John
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Ulterra with i-pilot link

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I just bought a Minn Kota Ulterra with I-Pilot, not I-Pilot Link.
Model 1358920, 24 volts, 80 lbs trust, 60" shaft, and universal Sonar 2 which can interface with different fish finder brands using an adaptor.
Will install later in April when getting boat out of storage.

There are multiple versions of Ulterra with I-Pilot Link, depending on voltage and shaft length.
With Built-In Mega Down Imaging Transducer
1358983: 24 volts, 80 lbs trust, 45" shaft
1358981: 24 volts, 80 lbs trust, 60" shaft
1358991: 36 volts, 112 lbs trust, 60" shaft
1358994: 36 volts, 112 lbs trust, 72" shaft

With Built-in Side Imaging Transducer
1358985: 24 volts, 80 lbs trust, 45" shaft
1358986: 24 volts, 80 lbs trust, 60" shaft
1358995:36 volts, 112 lbs trust, 60" shaft
1358996:36 volts, 112 lbs trust, 72" shaft

The I-Pilot Link will only interface with Hummingbird Solix and Helix Series Fish Finders using MKR-MDI-1 or MKR-MDI-2 adaptor.

The sonar on this unit is not useful for trolling salmon or lakers. I rather use my Lowrance HDS which is connected to my Simrad autopilot. I got the Ulterra because I wanted the option of remotely deploy and stow the motor using the remote or the foot pedal. I will mostly use it for walleye fishing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Hi Gerry,

I realize the sonar isn't meant for trolling. I was hoping to use the Ulterra as an auto pilot for trolling and the spot lock for lakers in the summer.
Are you able to link it to your Lowrance HDS? I thought from what I read that I would have to buy a hummingbird which I don't want to do....
Thanks for the help
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

You can connect the Ulterra to most fish finders with an optional cable, but it is only for the sonar. If you want to link to use it as an autopilot, you can only use the I-pilot Link with Hummingbird Solix or Helix. However you can use the remote to keep a straight course or control your direction or go to a specific waypoint if you’re less than 1/5 mile away.
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Hey Gerry, This is great information. I appreciate it. I only have 19 foot walk through and don't have much room on the dash for electronics plus don't really have interest in mounting another fishfinder up front. I have some thinking to do.
I would really like to see one in operation with use as an autopilot. If anyone reading this uses it as such, please contact me...Thanks Gerry !
Fish_Stalker
Species: any

Post by Fish_Stalker »

striper192001 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:45 am Hey Gerry, This is great information. I appreciate it. I only have 19 foot walk through and don't have much room on the dash for electronics plus don't really have interest in mounting another fishfinder up front. I have some thinking to do.
I would really like to see one in operation with use as an autopilot. If anyone reading this uses it as such, please contact me...Thanks Gerry !
I have an 36V Ulterra linked to my 12" Helix that I use for autopilot while trolling if you want to check it out. The Minnkota steers while the kicker motor does the heavy pushing, works great. I can drop an exact point on my map and tell the Ulterra to head for it, or I can drop a series of point and tell it to connect the dots.
Attachments
new1.jpg
new1.jpg (244.98 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
new 2.jpg
new 2.jpg (81.87 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your info Ben.
Nice Hummingbird screen and setup on your Lund.
It is unfortunate the Minn Kota will only link to the Hummingbird for autopilot.
Fish_Stalker
Species: any

Post by Fish_Stalker »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm Thanks for your info Ben.
Nice Hummingbird screen and setup on your Lund.
It is unfortunate the Minn Kota will only link to the Hummingbird for autopilot.
Its defiantly taking some getting use to going from Lowrance to Birds.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Fish_Stalker wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:04 pm
striper192001 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:45 am Hey Gerry, This is great information. I appreciate it. I only have 19 foot walk through and don't have much room on the dash for electronics plus don't really have interest in mounting another fishfinder up front. I have some thinking to do.
I have an 36V Ulterra linked to my 12" Helix that I use for autopilot while trolling if you want to check it out. The Minnkota steers while the kicker motor does the heavy pushing, works great. I can drop an exact point on my map and tell the Ulterra to head for it, or I can drop a series of point and tell it to connect the dots.

Thanks for the peak at the new ride Ben.

The walleye have no chance now :shock:

Can’t wait to hear about your shakedown. Looks like you have had her out..

Judging from the motor, you should be able to get that speedometer to about 2 o’clock????

:o
Matt B
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Ben catch walleye?
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

striper192001 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:40 am Can I chat with someone who has been using one of these for trout/salmon. Just want to understand some things before I drop some cash.
Thanks,
John
If you don't have an Hummingbird to link to, and you still want to get an Ulterra for the auto stow/deploy, you don't need the I-Pilot Link. You can get model 1358920 (24volt) or 1358930/1358933 (36volt) with I-Pilot. All have the spot lock feature, and you can use the remote as a semi-autopilot to keep a straight course or follow programmable waypoints.
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

That is a sweet looking Lund........I would love to check it out sometime.......

Thanks Ben, John
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

I like the idea of using the bow mount trolling motor as autopilot for trolling. Is worth upgrading to the Ulterra or Ultrex if you don’t really need the built in sonar? Or would the Terrova be fine? It is a lot less expensive. Is anyone using it?
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I have this same setup on my Lund Tyee 1900 that I purchased 2 years ago. I haven't tried using it much with the kicker locked in a straight line and using the Minnkota to steer and autopilot, but have watched Youtube videos. My latest is to purchase a Yardine Trollbridge Combiner 12x24 which will connect my 24v setup (two 12v batteries) to my cranking battery. This device will automatically switch my trolling motor batteries from being in series to parallel when turning off the Minnkota and starting the big motor. At that point, the alternator on the big motor will charge the trolling motor batteries. I will report back how this is working when I get it installed.
Nysrx01
Species: Trout

Post by Nysrx01 »

I have the terrova that I use for steering the boat while trolling. I just use the auto pilot capibilties. It’s real nice when fishing solo you don’t have to worry about steering the boat while landing a fish or setting up riggers. I don’t fish Champlain that much but most places I do fish 1.5 is the speed I try to stay around. I usually just run my trolling motor in gear at idle and adjust my speed and steering through my bow mount trolling motor. I am using it on a smaller 16 ft boat with a Yamaha 8 hp kicker. I usually use my foot control while trolling rather than remote control. It makes it easier for me to control my speed. Once you point in the direction you want to go you don’t have steer it much.Works great makes it a lot easier to control the boat in strong winds. I don’t use the mapping or waypoints with gps through the motor. Which is a cool feature but just more than I know how to do. Plus I use Lowrance and am not sure if it is even capable. Spot lock works great. If I am casting a shoreline I use auto pilot with cruise control just to stay in motion. I know on some of the trolling motors you can set them to follow contours and stay over certain depths. Most of all that technology is all over my head. If you want to keep it simple I would say the terrova is all you would need to assist in trolling unless you think you are going to use all the bells and whistles that come with more expensive units. The terrova does have a built in 2d sonar that you can get adapters to hook up to most any bow mount finder just to view while fishing from the bow if you want.