Planner mast

Smelt_seeker
Species: Salmon

Planner mast

Post by Smelt_seeker »

I have been wanting to add a planner mast. I have a supper ski mast with bolt on base but I was wondering if anyone has used theirs in a front seat mount.
Kyle smith
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Re: Planner mast

Post by kman05446 »

Hey Kyle,
I have a 1992 Seanymph 195 GLS and that is where my planner board mast is. I've no issues what so ever. Good luck this spring.

Kevin
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I had an aluminum seat pedestal welded to the bottom of my Big Jon dual planer mast...it fit in perfect and I used it for 15 years without a problem. I was even able to trailer the boat with the mast in place without an issue. Easy to remove, easy to put up...stayed nice and snug!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Smelt_seeker

Post by Smelt_seeker »

Any issues where you have additional support to it?
Kyle smith
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Post by DrCaddis »

I have a 16 foot starweld and I use my bow seat holder as my planner mast support. I actually use a 2 foot pvc sleeve then put mast inside the sleeve and it works great. Easy to set up and take down. If the mast wants to spin at all just drill a hole in pvc and mast and use a pin.
Smelt_seeker

Post by Smelt_seeker »

I ended up just bolting it on the nose of the boat with the minn kota. Ive fished a couple times and worked great!
Kyle smith
nhangler
Species: salmon

Post by nhangler »

I have made quite a few out of everything from aluminum to PVC pipe. It really depends on your boards and how much pull. The more pull, the more the more parallel they will consistently run with the boat with a tight line to use. It's also easier to deal with the lines when they are mid ship or up to the bow.

My current homemade boards pull harder than a Labrador retriever running for dropped food. Lines are so tight, I can hang my wet socks on them to dry.

I had the big Jon setup a long time ago and the otter boats. It was the best mast I ever used but was not so portable. It was also expensive but if you buy it used, you can get your money back fairly easily.