August through October

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

August through October

Post by tamiron »

Okay! Now that we put to rest the urban legend of Atlantic Salmon not eating during the months of August and September, what are some of the reasons that could be making catching them so difficult, during this period?

Time to think outside the “Spring” box.

1. As mentioned by one of the Vermont Fish and Game people, the young of the year of both smelt and alewives are possibly affecting what the fish are currently eating. It is definitely an easy meal, but without actually fishing there, it seems to me that it’s too early for the birds to be showing you where the bait balls are being pushed up by salmon feeding from underneath. I’m not saying that they are not feeding on the young, because I’m sure they are … but not all of them. However those that are, will be found very high in the water column due to temperature preference of the young forage. The trout and salmon are most likely to be found underneath them when not actively feeding and in the midst of them when they are.

(More to follow)
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: August through October

Post by Reelax »

Very interesting Jim. I see signs of this in my sonar. The predators are mixed in with the bait, instead of just above it...

Should we be using smaller spoons????

I have noticed #1 bees have fired well on my last 2 trips...

I’m going tomorrow so will try smaller spoons IN the bait and see...

Thanks!
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Matt:

If those fish are your target, I would say "match the hatch", FIRST, then, if there are no takers, go to something in the 3-4 inch range but stay high.
Let us know what the results are. I am also concerned about sensitivity to light and boat traffic when fishing so high. Kings definitely are not fond of light unless they are really aggressively feeding.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

If your fish are all running small this time of year and high in the water column, it's because that's where the year classes of both predator and prey are smaller but more abundant.

Looking for bigger fish ... try before and shortly after day break ... before and after sunset... deeper in the water column maybe some glow ... definitely attractors slightly bigger spoons ... bait balls down fifty ft or more.
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Post by Bocco »

I have never seen where Salmon can not be caught the entire month of August???
But sometime around September, for a month or so, the bite is practically non existent.
The Pike bite in September on the other hand, is the best month to fish Pike In my outings.
Why chase a maybe, if you can target a slam dunk???? Its still fishing and most of all FUN!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the KISS approach, as "Fish Man" used to say!
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Bocco:

By including the reports of the VT Fish & Game, I was trying to show that the fish do not stop eating, but they definitely change something like, depth in water column, feeding time of day, location in the the horizontal and vertical structures of the lake, forage size, speed of presentation, oxygen levels, thermocline change, pressure changes due to time of year, etc. But one thing is certain, they do not stop feeding!

Having said that, I'm with you ... if you can't catch salmon, fish for pike, or anything else that may be biting better. And there are a lot of choices as non-spawning fish are bulking up for the winter.

But the solution of continuing to catch salmon will only come from sharing strategies, information, results, lure selections, colors methods of presentation, etc. Champlain has too much volume and area to solve the riddle and be short handed. I started this thread with the pie in the sky hope that enough anglers would work together and drastically improve the results. But, I fear that I am wasting my time, since I cannot be there to participate. Instead I will be working on coming up with more tools, better inventory, and sharing ideas that may help answer a few questions./Jim
eatsleepfish
Species: Lake Trout

Post by eatsleepfish »

Hi guys, I will be heading up to LC in two weeks since CA is closed.

What depths do you find LLS in? I think I read somewhere not as deep as lakers.

Thanks
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

eatsleepfish wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:31 pm Hi guys, I will be heading up to LC in two weeks since CA is closed.

What depths do you find LLS in? I think I read somewhere not as deep as lakers.

Thanks
I’ve caught salmon from 40 to 85 deep in last month or so... depends on the thermocline and bait in area...

Good luck and let’s us know how you do....
Matt B