LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUR TOOLS

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUR TOOLS

Post by tamiron »

This is a great time of year to go to fishing school and practice social distancing at the same time! Some of my old notes and a recent comment of a forum member reminded me of something that I haven’t done in a long time.

Going back to basics and learning more about the products you already own.

Tuning a stick bait by running it back about 6-12 feet at a slow trolling speed and watching if it runs straight or tilts off to one side or another. (bend eye slightly to compensate

Same 6-12 feet of line attached to a spoon. Try different connections and write down the change in action for each brand/size you use most often.

Same 6-12 feet of line attached to a spoon. Try different speeds and write down the change in action for each brand/size you use most often. If you troll slower, does your lure rise(hydroplaning) or fall. If you increase the speed what happens. TAMIRON has some videos that might help or give you some additional ideas https://www.tamiron.com/Articles.asp?ID=257.

The reason for this last one is the one that I thought you might find most interesting. If a HONEYBEE is run too slow it will hydroplane. Running one off a board will actually force it out of the water at too slow of a speed. But running it faster off a board will allow maximum action (at about 3 mph) and it will run FLAT at this speed allowing you to fish ultra-shallow water off a board (1 foot or less!!) Try this for yourself with other lures as well.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUR TOOLS

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Jim.
You always provide such valuable advices.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)