WHAT ARE YOUR LURES DOING?

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

WHAT ARE YOUR LURES DOING?

Post by tamiron »

It appears from some of the comments on the forum, that very few people are currently sharing their results, for fear of giving away any advantage that they may have (or think they have). Since I have not been on Lake Champlain, for almost 20+ years, I cannot be accused of giving away any direct experiences. I also do not comment, in any specific terms, on what customers indicate to me that might be happening for them. If I also refrain from referring to the products that we sell, I cannot be accused of being driven by just a profit motivation. With that disclaimer taken care of... I have noticed some reporting of success using D B SMELT spoons both in Lake Ontario and on Lake’s Champlain. I have never physically held or personally seen a DB smelt except in a picture (and that was just a few minutes ago). Judging by what I see, I can think of three visual reasons why this lure might be successful at this time.

By length and shape it seems to replicate a second year smelt.

It has a treble hook that will create more hookups during the period of cold water with slightly warmer surface water, when fish are slightly more lethargic and prefer something moving a little bit slower.

Its’ nose appears to be flat or slightly turned up and tuned with a slightly larger treble hook (for its width), it should have excellent action at slower speeds (again taking advantage of the slightly warmer surface waters).

Based on the conclusion from above you would be best served to match the use of this spoon in your pattern with spoons of similar characteristics or those stick baits which are excellent at slower speeds. The point that I’m trying to make, is that your pattern will be maximized, when all of your baits are working in harmony. You can tune most lures to run at various speeds to give you different actions at the same speeds.

With a few plastic boxes, and time on the water, you can begin to create your own patterns using your own selection of Lures that will produce most effectively running at the same speed. Depending on how accurately you can measure the speed of your lure at the ball, I would recommend a minimum of three or four boxes and therefore three or four speeds that you can choose lures as the day requires.

Depending on your budget and/or tape, nail polish, or spray paint, you can change colors to determine that days’ preference. Lures with different actions than other lures used in your pattern at the same speed, will drastically reduce the overall effectiveness of your pattern.

The above is my opinion and I encourage an open and honest discussion that will improve anglers’ success without disclosing “hotspots”. / Jim ;)
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR LURES DOING?

Post by finsntins »

I agree with tamiron 100%.i believe that proper speed for what you have in the water is extremely critical,more so than what you have in the water.i feel you will have a more productive day with the wrong color lure being trolled at the correct speed,than having the right color lure in the water being trolled at the wrong speed.also,speed varies from boat to boat.2.5 on my hawk might be 2.0 on your depth raider,so don't get to hung up on what speed someone else is getting bit at,get your boat dialed in for what you have in the water.i know a lot of guys like doing turns to change the speed of the lure,and yes,this does work,but not only does turns change the speed of the lure,it also changes the depth at which the lure is,particulary on cores and coppers.so if you get bit on an inside of a turn,not only was your lure running slower,it was also running deeper,just something else to keep in mind.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR LURES DOING?

Post by tamiron »

I would be very curious to know how many people have changed from a single siwash to a treble hook on their spoons?? A size 4 or 5 split ring with a # 4, 5 or 6 treble hook can easily provide you with your own test results to determine which style of hook will provide the best results. Each style has its' own pluses and minuses. As the fish become more aggressive, the results could change and the single hook has potentially a new plus because it should cause less damage to fish you are planning on releasing.

Comments?/ Jim

By the way, that change in hook style is also a primary component of tuning your spoon!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen