Newbie Help

gseries69
Species: Anything on Fly

Newbie Help

Post by gseries69 »

Hello All,

I've been lurking this site for a few years and looking for some help. I want to target lakers from my small 16' Lund casting flies. I know most on here troll for lakers and salmon but I'd like to give it a shot casting the fly rod. Because my boat is on the small side I want to stay in sheltered bays e.g. Shelburne, Keelers, etc. I'm looking for some general advice so no one gets in trouble for spot burning. What depth should I be looking to fish in? Is there a specific water temp I should be looking for? Are lakers in close to shore this time of year and if so is there a type of structure I should target? As you can probably tell...I could use any help you're willing to offer.

Thanks!!
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Newbie Help

Post by the_doctor »

A new member just posted some good info. Poke around
https://www.lakechamplainunited.com/for ... =4&t=27115

You can also use the built-in search or search Google and add site:lakechamplainunited.com at the end. Example here https://tinyurl.com/toempjp. I don't say this to be snarky but rather because I've found the search really helpful.

All that being said, it looks like folks are catching them pretty close the surface over medium-depth water. They can be pretty much anywhere but of course breaks, etc are good spots as well as anywhere you find baitfish. And yes, even close to shore this time of year As for temperature, the ideal for lakers is mid-forties to mid-fifties as far as I know. The lake is colder than that right now, so any spots that are warmer than the rest could be good. Bright colors have been producing. Hope this helps and welcome to LCU.
gseries69

Post by gseries69 »

@ the_doctor, thank you! very helpful.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I don't think you'll ever catch a Laker in Keeler's. Go to the Colchester fill, fish in close, I've seen guys out there in 10' Johnboats on a good day.
gseries69

Post by gseries69 »

@ C-Hawk, is the Colchester fill the mouth of the Winooski?or is the causeway area?
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I agree with C-Hawk ... I'd be out by Colchester Point / Colchester fill area (broad lake side, easily accessed from the Winooski River). We catch lakers out there every spring long-lining sticks and spoons, so I'd think you'd be able to get them with flies. Good luck!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very rare to find a laker anywhere in the inland sea. But any flat with warm pockets and bait this time
Of year can hold
Lakers... Apple tree point south of Burlington can be a good area
Also... also run the outside of the fill from Burlington to south hero like others mentioned.

Lakers can be found all over so when you find a spot know one uses... they can be awesome ..

Good luck and please let us know how you do!
Matt B