Salmon over ice

goldeneye13
Species: Cold water

Salmon over ice

Post by goldeneye13 »

A month ago my wife said she would like to go ice fishing for salmo . :shock: So i started looking up winter techniques. Got geared up. I know how to catch salmon from april to october ( after i quit for duck season) but over the ice i figured some areas are bettwr then otters. What deep of water should i look for? Reefs, deep water, shallow water???? Any tip in pm would be appreciated. I m planning on using live minnow my reading been saying to fish 3 to 15 ft under the ice and general areas and you have to be quiet. I sure would appreciate tips for that.

Thanks
Fred
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Salmon over ice

Post by C-Hawk »

Bring a good book. But same as boat fishing. I used to fish them in Maine, and you're right, just under the surface to 10 feet off bottom. Pull your bait up up and down, when you do the last one, go to the first . Jig it a little. Many times the bite will be when you first set up.Be aggressive
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Re: Salmon over ice

Post by flyguy »

Flourocarbon leaders and small circle hooks on tip-ups. As you said, right under the ice to 10' off the bottom, change depths often. Also jig live bait in one hole on ice rod. Strip scales from any dead bait and dump into holes as attraction. Hooking bait at adipose fin seems to work best for me. Good luck!