Finding salmon

dry net
Species: cold water

Re: Finding salmon

Post by dry net »

ReelInvestment wrote:Another blade question. I usually only use blades when bouncing bottom for lakers in the middle of summer, but have been messing with vertical blades for salmon lately. Anyways, when I fish for lakers using blades (usually horizontal) I try to match the spoon or spin n glow color to the color of the blades. So my question is, is it as important to match spoon color to blade color for salmon?
not in my opinion
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

ReelInvestment wrote:Another blade question. I usually only use blades when bouncing bottom for lakers in the middle of summer, but have been messing with vertical blades for salmon lately. Anyways, when I fish for lakers using blades (usually horizontal) I try to match the spoon or spin n glow color to the color of the blades. So my question is, is it as important to match spoon color to blade color for salmon?

IMHO .... Yes
Matt B
dry net

Post by dry net »

Reelax wrote:

IMHO .... Yes
Would you explain further?, most blades that we run are silver based. I tend not to get to exotic there.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

I can understand both, I could see if you were using a base color like silver it wouldn’t matter as much to match spoon color. Especially on a bright day when using silver backed spoons, maybe run a copper blade or gold during low light to match the backs of your spoons in those conditions. But if I was to run green blades try to run green or greenish spoons to make it look like a bait fish that fell behind. Thanks for the responses!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

dry net wrote:
Reelax wrote:

IMHO .... Yes
Would you explain further?, most blades that we run are silver based. I tend not to get to exotic there.
It kinda like getting dressed in the morning... just don’t want your blade and spoon combo to clash...... make them blend like they are all a part of the same school of bait. But it is OK to differentiate the hooked spoon in the bait ball your pulling. So a little different flair may highlight the weaker fish in the school.

Orange Blades get spoons with some orange, blue blades get spoons with some blue, and so on......

hope this helps...
Matt B
dry net

Post by dry net »

Thank you for the reply!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Reelax:

Great post. Obviously from your experience Atlantics really do prefer "bling". If you don't mind. I have a follow up question .... as a rule are majority of the fish that are coming off these blades on the small side or the larger side? /Jim

Thank you very much for sharing such great info.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen