Jigging or Other Methods w/o Trolling Gear?

the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Jigging or Other Methods w/o Trolling Gear?

Post by the_doctor »

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone could suggest any tips on chasing some lakers and maybe even some silver without trolling gear? I have heard of jigging for lakers with jigging spoons, big Swedish Pimples, etc. I do have electronics but not ready to invest in trolling. Any tips or am I wasting time? Thanks in advance.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: Jigging or Other Methods w/o Trolling Gear?

Post by keithm87 »

Trolling doesnt have to be expensive, at least to try it. We started out running dipsey divers off cheap walmart combo's. If you have a fairly stiff pair of rods, throw some 50lb braid on them and put slide divers on them with ultimate dive kits and you can run them down to 100 ft. Even cheaper, is a couple Offshore clips and some clip weights (4-6oz flat lined off the back let line till it hits bottom close the bail and wait a few seconds then repeat the open bail step till it hits bottom again and close the bail, that will get the lure running fairly close to the bottom, at least close enough to get some lakers excited)

Jigging lakers, the easiest way to learn is to watch some youtube. There are some videos of laker jigging on champ that show the jigs being used. It is the cheapest way to get to them, but doesnt really open up the salmon, brown, and steelie fishing. It also is the most limited in terms of when you can do it. If its blowing and you dont have spot lock on a bow mount gps its hard to hold a spot. Dropping anchor in 80FOW on reefs and humps is fun on the drop, and much less on the retrieve.

If I were rigging to try it out and to do it cheap, with a goal of lakers and salmon I would start with a pair of slide divers on heavy rods ($15-20 walmart catfish rods). toss 50lb braid or 30lb berkley big game mono (flea prevention) measure and mark every 10 ft for 200ft (with the ultimate kit this is more than enough to get down to the fish mid summer) and then buy a few trolling spoons. Datillios has a great selection of spoons start with the smaller ones as they will catch lakers and salmon UV seems to be good but ask the guys at the counter for what is selling. On the cheap going to walmart and grabbing one of each speedy shiner they sell will catch fish. The slide divers are the most expensive part, at around $28 for the diver and the added ultimate kit. But the good news is if you decide its not for you, you are left with 2 rods and reels already rigged up ready to fish lakers, and 2 slide divers that you could throw in the classifieds here for basically what you bought them for.
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Thanks! I thought that would be the issue with jigging- staying put in the right spot, that is. Probably will pick up the slide divers and give it a try! Do they sell them locally or should I just order offline?
Strange 'Eyes
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Strange 'Eyes »

You can always buy a drift sock and just align yourself with the wind so that you drift over the spot you are trying to fish over. You will have to reset pretty often but jigging for lakers can be very productive if you get on the right spot. And the fight is much better!
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Saw this thread and figured I should join and make a first post...

I just got into trolling for salmon & lakers this year, on the cheap. Without spending much $$ I'm off to a good start just using a rowboat, pvc pipe for rod holders, trolling rod, baitcast reel, and lead core line. Spoons like NK-28's and speedy shiners, and streamer flys with dodgers, have been working for late trout and salmon.

Only problem is its getting addictive and won't stay cheap for long ! I quickly realized I should get a 2nd rod/reel and planer board to double the chances of catching a fish, etc...
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

the_doctor wrote:Thanks! I thought that would be the issue with jigging- staying put in the right spot, that is. Probably will pick up the slide divers and give it a try! Do they sell them locally or should I just order offline?
I bought mine online. Not sure who local sells the lite bites (the ones you want) I know datillios sells the standard ones.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

FishUSA
billfishermc
Species: salmon,lake trout, bass

Post by billfishermc »

Hey Doc. See my notes re jigging in fishing reports -my reply on Aug 4. Lots of big pigs.
bill
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Thank you Bill! Awesome info. I am tied up chasing after the root of all evil (i.e., working) when I should be fishing this month! But hopefully will have a chance to try your methods. Thanks again.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I used slide divers in my pedal-drive kayak for a while but I decided that I don't enjoy them.

I've found a couple other techniques to get deep-ish:

Three Way Swivel rig with a 3 oz sinker. You can troll it or you can slowly bump your bait along the bottom in deep water. I use a suspending crankbait or a floating crankbait so I can go slow. Sometimes I use soft plastic. I've caught a few salmon on this rig but it's not my favorite because the lure is so close to the swivel and sinker-- the length of my rod. Its ok for lakers. Its a PITA to store the rigs without tangling.

Snap Weights are my current method for trolling, and so far the simplest method I've tried- a big sinker that clips to the line. Offshore Tackle makes them. I'm not sure if they get deep enough for the salmon this time of year--I'm mostly sticking to cooler inland lakes this time of year. I'm using 12lb braid. A 3oz weight at 2mph seems to run at 30'. A 2oz weight runs around 20'. I've hit bottom in 40' going slower. With the snap weights I let out about 50' of line, clip on the sinker, and let out about another 50'. The tricky move is keeping the pressure on the fish when removing the sinker. Again, I've mostly been using Rapalas so I can go slow if I want to go deeper. I'll probably be using this system on Champlain again when the weather and water cools.
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

troutcrazy, I like your ideas of using 3-way swivels w/ weights and snap sinkers and I'd like to give them a try... sort of like you, I am doing non-motorized trolling, just using a rowboat and so I need something that works for a small boat.

What sort of line do you use w/ the 3-way swivels w/ big sinkers ?

Lead-core had been working for me earlier in the season, have you used it w/ the kayak and any luck ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

I found to get deeper then 40' a very heavy sinker is needed in the 4-6 oz range.
I think the rule of thumb about it is 1 oz for every 10' in depth, which seems to work.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Dilly Worm wrote:troutcrazy, I like your ideas of using 3-way swivels w/ weights and snap sinkers and I'd like to give them a try... sort of like you, I am doing non-motorized trolling, just using a rowboat and so I need something that works for a small boat.

Lead-core had been working for me earlier in the season, have you used it w/ the kayak and any luck ?
For the snap weights take a look at the Precision trolling data stuff. They have a 50+2 method for trolling cranks, shallow or deep diving crank 50ft line +2oz weight. They have depth stats for a bunch of lures telling you how far past the snap you need to stop the line counter to hit a precise depth at different speeds. They did a great video on it on Fishing411.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Dilly Worm, my mainline is 12 lb braid-- Power Pro, I think. I think braid is the key to this deep fishing.

I tie on a 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon leader, about 6 feet, using a double uni knot. Sometimes I tie on a snap swivel so I can switch out the 3-way rig for a heavy jig or something.

I usually make the 3-way swivel rig out of the same 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon. Sometimes I just use 6 lb mono but it's probably not enough. I use 1-2 feet of line for the sinker (usually on a snap swivel), and a rod length of line to the lure.

Any old 3-way swivel works, but Thundermist T-Turn swivels seem to tangle less.

There's probably a better way to do it! Let me know when you find it! :D
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

troutcrazy wrote:Dilly Worm, my mainline is 12 lb braid-- Power Pro, I think. I think braid is the key to this deep fishing.

I tie on a 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon leader, about 6 feet, using a double uni knot. Sometimes I tie on a snap swivel so I can switch out the 3-way rig for a heavy jig or something.

I usually make the 3-way swivel rig out of the same 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon. Sometimes I just use 6 lb mono but it's probably not enough. I use 1-2 feet of line for the sinker (usually on a snap swivel), and a rod length of line to the lure.

Any old 3-way swivel works, but Thundermist T-Turn swivels seem to tangle less.

There's probably a better way to do it! Let me know when you find it! :D
keithm87 wrote:
Dilly Worm wrote:troutcrazy, I like your ideas of using 3-way swivels w/ weights and snap sinkers and I'd like to give them a try... sort of like you, I am doing non-motorized trolling, just using a rowboat and so I need something that works for a small boat.

For the snap weights take a look at the Precision trolling data stuff. They have a 50+2 method for trolling cranks, shallow or deep diving crank 50ft line +2oz weight. They have depth stats for a bunch of lures telling you how far past the snap you need to stop the line counter to hit a precise depth at different speeds. They did a great video on it on Fishing411.
mudchuck wrote:I found to get deeper then 40' a very heavy sinker is needed in the 4-6 oz range.
I think the rule of thumb about it is 1 oz for every 10' in depth, which seems to work.

Thanks for all the good advice... I will give these ideas a try and see how it works... looks like FishUSA sells everything I need !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !