spoons ???

SMW1967
Species: salmon/whateverbites

spoons ???

Post by SMW1967 »

hi fellas /first time long time. I want to thank you for all the info and insight that this site provides,what a great resource! I have a lot of different spoons, dbs tamiron crazy ivan mooselooks and on and on lol.but have seen and heard of some of the guys taking split ring or brass ring off , I also use duolocks but was wondering if this could become a conversation . understand that speed and line and conditons effect them differently . anyway well be out there soon thanks in advance/looking forward to posting reports thanks again ;)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: spoons ???

Post by Reelax »

I don’t typically remove the spilt rings.. if you do you will Effect the action of your spoons. Basically the more hardware you have in front of the spoon the less action you will get and the higher speed you can run at... the less hardware, the more flutter but it will also spin out at a lower speed. You always want a flop from side to side and little to no spoon flips while trolling for salmon. If your spoon flips fish will not eat it.

Good luck!
Matt B
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Jim Martino from Tamiron (Honeybees) has some really useful videos and and has discussed this in detail on here. Take a look here for some of the videos http://www.tamiron.com/Articles.asp?ID=257 super helpful in showing what happens when we modify spoons, or add snaps in front.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

keithm87 wrote:Jim Martino from Tamiron (Honeybees) has some really useful videos and and has discussed this in detail on here. Take a look here for some of the videos http://www.tamiron.com/Articles.asp?ID=257 super helpful in showing what happens when we modify spoons, or add snaps in front.

Hi all, it's spring so I'm out of hibernation...Keith that right, Jim M spent many hours and $$$ researching the action of HIS spoons with different line attachments...His spoons run best with a direct tie on the welded ring...It provides the optimum action. He outlines what happens with other attachment techniques. I'm sure they hold true to most spoons... Many people choose to run his spoons with snaps or snap swivels and that does effect the action dramatically so don't blame the spoon...take the time to tie direct or have some tied on flo leaders that you can attach via a snap or snap swivel to the main line if you want to change quick out on the water. I buy paint can stirrers, notch each end then take a rubber bands to keep the leader in place . I usually make my leaders about 7 feet long or just short of the length of the rod I am using that day. If you stick with the right method your take will increase for sure. So changing lures isn't really necessary, it's not the color or the lure it's self since many times it's just that you are attaching their lures wrong and spooking fish with poor action.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i have always tied direct because i never liked the action on all lures with snaps or others. when i tested the honeybee casting lures for jim i tied direct like i do with all lures. if you cast alot like i do and use attachments like snaps i think you will find less production. if you look at my posts when im fishing with others i always seem to do better than them they all use snap swivel to keep changing lures and i tie direct. the snaps just dont look right either in attached to the lure. one thing i do beleive in though colors make a big difference dark days and bright days . also when using krocs or bees i have had better success with rainbow colors and fishy1 on casting honeybee lures. when trolling with my son we also tie direct and our top 3 lure colors are black/purple brown trout and crazy ivan morning glory.
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Hey Jimbow, the Rip Van Winkle from the Hudson Valley, good to hear from you!
SMW1967
Species: salmon/whateverbites

Post by SMW1967 »

thank you guys for responding ! I always try to see what lure is doing in water just off side of boat before sending it out/or down. keith I did see those videos but was trying to get more beta from you guys. maybe on your preferances but no secrets lol …. thanks again, hope to head up to converse second week of may,its happening wont be long
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

SMW1967 wrote: I always try to see what lure is doing in water just off side of boat before sending it out/or down. keith I did see those videos
Unless you are fishing the surface and/or are in shallow water, that checking alongside the boat won't help at all! Too many other factors come into play.

Digitrol introduced a stand alone portable fish hawk last year, that I stated was potentially a game changer. Unless users have found problems, I still believe it could be the great equalizer.

"Every dog has his day" pretty well sums up results to be expected from trying to short cut the learning curve. A tremendous amount of data has been recorded on this forum and should be reviewed by every newcomer and as a refresher for "old salts"
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

tamiron wrote:
Unless you are fishing the surface and/or are in shallow water, that checking alongside the boat won't help at all! Too many other factors come into play.
I hate to disagree, as you are the man who created much of what works well on Champ, but I think when you control variables, running a lure beside the boat can be effective in seeing action the lure imparts. IMO it is also VITAL for fishing stickbaits to ensure proper tracking, and to tune the bait. Yes deep there are currents, but if I run a lure next to the boat with a surface speed of 2.4, and then match that speed down 50 at the ball using the FH or more primitive means (blowback angles) in theory the action should hold true. Side currents of course will impact, but those are the most obvious currents to account for as it gets pretty clear when your riggers are hanging sideways that there is a side current.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

First, thanks C-hawk...yes it's been a while...Fishy what I meant by not changing colors all the time was IF you have already picked a color you KNOW should work for the conditions, you shouldn't have to keep changing. Not that any given color will work if tuned right. Most of us know that colors are very important, depth, sun, water clarity, time of day or season. you name it can change the "bite" so you do have to pick an appropriate color. However, even the "perfect" color won't catch fish if not presented properly is what I was getting at. Keith, I found that running a stick bait next to a boat is critical to see if it is tuned. Same holds true when spring fishing in shallow water. However, there are way too many variables to say for certain what is going on down deeper to say for certain...That is when a fish hawk comes into play. I've seen as much as 2 mph difference over a short distant as you pass over certain areas. This can flip a poorly tuned lure and make it run bad the rest of the troll. If you have tools like a fish hawk, use it and believe it, don't ignore the technology if you have it and why take the chance for the sake of convenience and "quick" changes. Hey do what you want I say but there are some who may do better if they listen to those who "did the math"... have a great season everyone.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Keith, the only way to tune a stick-bait or any lure for that matter, that I know of, requires seeing it in action in the water.

But take away the capability to measure the speed at the ball, and the surface action doesn't help very much, unless you are fishing the surface or checking to see if the spoon, lure, fly, stick-bait are performing as designed or to be retuned. The caveat is the ability to measure the speed at the ball , to duplicate what you see on the surface.

Changing speed, compass directions, type of lure, tuning, heavier/lighter line, blowback, etc are all methods that compensate for not having that ability to measure speed at the ball, which is precisely what we all did prior to that invention to compensate for what we couldn't know. Without modern technology and a willingness to think outside of the box, the learning curve will be too long for many anglers to put up with the frustration of the process. This forum will really help everyone. And I don't believe that anybody on this thread is really in disagreement with anybody else.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen