Downrigger release advice needed

Sawyer
Species: All

Downrigger release advice needed

Post by Sawyer »

We have been using the scotty release and they're not working that good for me. It may be human era"
I'm thinking about trying the Chamberlain release. I would like your advice on this subject. Should i keep trying the Scotty's or try something different?
Thanks Don & Traci
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Downrigger release advice needed

Post by Reelax »

Blacks are easy and cheap... chamberlains are good but big and bulky.
Matt B
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Keith Chamberlain really nailed it with this release. 2 adjustments ...... 1 for vertical tension from the rod to the release, the 2nd adjustment is for horizontal tension to the bait. If adjusted correctly, the Chamberlain eliminates towing around small fish.
I used Blacks for years until Chamberlain’s came along over 10 years ago. I became a believer when Perch and Smelt tripped them.
Bill
"POINTER"
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Believe Bill, you can set the Chamberlain so a weed trips them. Don't fool with anything else.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Chamberlain also makes a stacker release that I have used all by itself 10-15 feet above the cannonball with some success. Like they say...some days you have to try everything in your arsenal!
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

Like Bill said you have 2 adjustments. You can have your rods bent to the water and the release tension light enough a small perch will trip it or tighten it up and pull a dave davis or a flasher. Great made in VT product. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

We really appreciate all the advice and will be ordering some new releases. I will get one or two of each
Blacks and Chamberlains and will let you know witch one works better for me. I would like to have a release that releases when a small fish hits.
Thanks Don & Traci
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

blacks releases are great for bigger fish,but you will never get them adjusted just right,i have never used the chaimberlin releases,but again you have to get them adjusted and now you are dealing with two adjustments.for small fish I just use a pinch pad with a 6 to 10 inch "tether" to the back of the ball.a pinch pad with a nice light rigger rod you will be able to see the rod tip bouncing,even if it does not release.simple,cheap,and effective!!!!!I think a light action rigger rod is more important than the release,even if you go with a blacks or chaimberlin,if you have a light action rigger rod,"cinched"down tight,you will see the rod tip bouncing.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing