Average Size Of Lake Champlain Cold Water Fish Species

salmontroller16
Species: Lake Trout, Landlocked Salmon

Average Size Of Lake Champlain Cold Water Fish Species

Post by salmontroller16 »

Hey Everyone, Im planning on making several trips to lake Champlain this coming spring. I just wanted to get a rough idea of the average size of the landlocked salmon, lake trout, steelhead trout, and brown trout that are in lake Champlain. I hear that the trout and salmon in lake Champlain are a bit larger on average than the ones in lake Winnipesaukee NH. Going to lake Champlain will take about two times longer to get to than lake Winnipesaukee from where I'm located in MA. I still think that lake Champlain is worth the drive for me because it is a much larger lake, with more trolling areas to fish. Any ideas/thoughts on how big most of the cold water fish species are?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Average Size Of Lake Champlain Cold Water Fish Species

Post by C-Hawk »

I guess your right about average sizes with Lakers being 5-7 average? Many bigger. Salmon in the 16" range can be 2 lbs which would dwarf a Winnie salmon from my experience many years ago. Hopefully the bite picks up for us guys siuated in the northern part of lake this season, but generally,5 pounders are not uncommon, at least a couple years ago. Things are in flux right now, but a good fall and early winter has produced some big numbers for the usual crews. I drive up from Mass. some 25 trips a season, nothing to it.
salmontroller16
Species: Lake Trout, Landlocked Salmon

Post by salmontroller16 »

C-Hawk wrote:I guess your right about average sizes with Lakers being 5-7 average? Many bigger. Salmon in the 16" range can be 2 lbs which would dwarf a Winnie salmon from my experience many years ago. Hopefully the bite picks up for us guys siuated in the northern part of lake this season, but generally,5 pounders are not uncommon, at least a couple years ago. Things are in flux right now, but a good fall and early winter has produced some big numbers for the usual crews. I drive up from Mass. some 25 trips a season, nothing to it.
That's great information for me to know! do you know if there are any fishing guides on the northern part of lake Champlain where its not frozen that are running salmon and trout fishing trips? One of my fishing buddies suggested that I go with a fishing guide to gain a little more knowledge of lake Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I think the captains are probably done for now as I believe the ramps are finally froze up. There may still be a couple of the guys fishing out of Converse Bay but I think that maybe temporarily froze in. If you click on Home on the header of the forum, then click it again, and a box will appear with the captains listed. Also Will Nolan does an excellent laker jigging charter, Swillys Charters. A trip with any of these guys would be a wise investment. Most of them will post on here or FB. Follow this forum come spring time.
I think you'll give up on Winepasauki after you figure out Champlain.