Sliders

Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Sliders

Post by Mr. Gill »

I’ve been reading recent reports about using sliders off the downriggers. If I am correct this is a 6’ section of line with lure on one end and snap swivel on the other end. Swivel is attached to the line of rod clipped to downrigger release and the lure slides down line to about halfway. Correct? If your riggers are set relatively shallow, say 20-40’, the lure is only 10-20’ behind the back of the boat. I would think the lakers/salmon would be boat shy that close. Obviously not if guys are catching them on those. I also would think your hook up percentage would be low since no resistance to strike until swivel is pulled down to downrigger release. Comments please.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Re: Sliders

Post by Wdrnr »

You got it.... you feel like crazy till the slider line hits the lower lure or release point. Then the fun begins. Very effective presentation as the fish will come to the prop wash a lot more than you might think.
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Wdrnr....thanks. Is that a salmon thing in the prop wash or will lake trout do same?
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

We catch lakers on them pretty frequently. Speed dependent of course if your moving at 2.6 odds are the lakers aren't going to chase. We have also caught perch, white perch, and smallies on the cheaters. Great way to get extra lures in the water. Only thing that sucks is if you have a break off on you main lure, the cheater goes with it. That happened 2 times to us sunday, with Mooselooks as the cheater at $7+ each.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

glad you said cheaters keith because thats what we been calling them for years. one thing john that isnt posted here is they do create some extra messes and need to be careful unhooking fish. once you have a release and its on the cheater reel as fast as you can to catch up.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I prefer the length of my cheaters at 3 feet.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

raz wrote:I prefer the length of my cheaters at 3 feet.
x2