Cold-weather casting line

troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Cold-weather casting line

Post by troutcrazy »

Yes, another thread about line. Specifically, line for casting in frostbite season.

My 10-lb braid with 10-lb fluoro leader was excellent all summer. Yesterday I fished in freezing windy conditions (a road trip to a different lake that's open all year). As the braid iced up, windknots took over the day-- not good. Time for new line.

I'm really puzzled, trying to find the right line. I don't want to put off wary browns by using something too heavy.

I'm going to spool up one reel with 8-lb mono, as I happen to have some. I'm not convinced, though.

Does anyone cast heavier mono like 10lbs, with a fluoro leader?

Does anyone cast with fluoro mainline in the winter?

Got any thoughts on winter casting line?
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Cold-weather casting line

Post by fishy1 »

andric you know what i use trilene big game 12 lb test and no problems the only problem i have is freezing guides so i use pam spray. trilene big game had lighter line to i have some 10 lb.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Pam, eh? Thanks, I'll try that.
The problem is mostly solved, now that I spooled up with mono. I sure miss the braid already- trying to fish deep feels like rubber bands :D
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Try a PREMIUM co-polymer line, it has less stretch and are nearly invisible in deep water..if you are still thinking of shy fish, add a floro leader just short of the length of the rod. Personally I do not like braid except when using lite bites or a dipsy... I don't seem to have any problems hooking up, make sure your hooks are sharp and you will be fine.