New to Salmon and Trout trolling on Lake Champlain

salmontroller16
Species: Lake Trout, Landlocked Salmon

New to Salmon and Trout trolling on Lake Champlain

Post by salmontroller16 »

Hey everyone, I just created an account on this website! I went to lake Champlain for the first time two weeks ago, I had launched out of Ticonderoga NY and I soon realized that I was in more of a bass fishing territory and I didn't do to well trolling that day. The following week I took another trip up to lake Champlain to launch out of Port Douglas in Keeseville, NY. I was marking fish on my depth finder in anywhere from about 75 ft-150 ft. These fish were on the bottom or close to it, so I'm assuming they were Lake Trout, Salmon, Brown trout??? I tried just about everything I had to catch some of these fish, Trolling spoons, Rapala stick baits, Crankbaits... I was trying both 1 rod with a downrigger, and 1 rod on a diver. I tried different depths anywhere from around 25 ft all the way to 120 ft near the bottom. Can anyone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong while I'm trolling? I was out for about 8 hrs altogether, and I didn't even have a single hit. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much guys. I will also attach a picture of my fishing setup.
Attachments
44429108_2083926988587655_1230981899556487168_n.jpg
44429108_2083926988587655_1230981899556487168_n.jpg (218.51 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
43754133_2079119009068453_6497278387671793664_n.jpg
43754133_2079119009068453_6497278387671793664_n.jpg (153.33 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: New to Salmon and Trout trolling on Lake Champlain

Post by C-Hawk »

Hang in there, you will catch fish. Try Willsboro PT. soon, or try further south, like the Converse to Westport area. I think you were south then north of the good stuff. Find some other boats.
salmontroller16

Thank you for the information!!! I'll definitely take a look at my chart for lake Champlain, and I'll try to find those areas for when I go there possibly next week before I put my boat away for the year.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

salmontroller16 wrote:Thank you for the information!!! I'll definitely take a look at my chart for lake Champlain, and I'll try to find those areas for when I go there possibly next week before I put my boat away for the year.
You really should fish the Frostbite Shootout out of Converse with the weigh-in and barbeque on Nov 3. You are putting your boat away way too early. Best fishing of the year is from now til January.
salmontroller16

Is the frostbite shootout a fishing derby? Wouldn't the lake be frozen by that time? Or does it freeze later on into December or the following year.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

salmontroller16 wrote:Is the frostbite shootout a fishing derby? Wouldn't the lake be frozen by that time? Or does it freeze later on into December or the following year.
Yes it is a Derby, no money involved. Check out the posts for it. There won't be ice fore a long time at most main lake ramps. Come and fish, or just bring food. Best learning experience you will get. The weigh-in is at Point Bay Marina, but you can launch anywhere. Some of us will be out of Westport. Most use the Converse Bay access. Keep your radio on 68
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

If the lake doesn't freeze solid we fish from boats all winter long... As long as thee is less than 1/2 inch of ice we can fish.... The salmon bite is best in FEB!
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

to early to put your boat in storage like they said salmon fishing is good all winter and it starts now. the shootout is free and lots of fun and you meet the frostbite fleet at the barbecue. its the 10 th year and the trophy for 1 year will go to someone. this will be my 3rd as a partner ist with hairbone and last year and this year with chawk. not many rules just got to be in a boat and no dark salmon.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum.
Nice fishing rig.
You definitely should come to the Frostbite derby.
You will meet lots of very friendly people who will share their knowledge (once the derby is over :lol: ). Great BBQ too.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
salmontroller16

Hey everyone, I'm now interested in the frostbite derby. what is the exact date of the frostbite derby along with the address where we all meet and registration information? I'm considering going, as long as I don't have to work on the date of the frostbite derby.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Sat Nov 3 rd at Point Bay Marina. Come by water, there are plenty of docks available. Read "Shootout Details" in the Lake Champlain section.
salmontroller16

Hey everyone, unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Frostbite Shootout this year because of my work schedule. Will there be one next year in 2019? If I know the date ahead of time I can definitely clear my schedule to fish this awesome salmon derby!!! Also, does anyone troll with live shiners using downriggers for lake trout and salmon? if anyone does, is this an effective form of trolling? Thanks!!!
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Usually its on the first Saturday of November.
Most of us use hardware on Champlain. Every once in a while someone talks about how great shiner rigs work and they are going to hammer salmon on Champlain, but unless they are holding a very good secrete, I have not heard of any good results. Besides, bait laws are difficult.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

As C-Hawk mentioned, the Frostbite shootout is held on the first weekend of November.
There is also a great friendly DYP derby (Draw Your Partner) late April. Mark your calendar.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
churchkey
Species: salmon

Post by churchkey »

Hi just checking in to see if you got your downrigger fishing figured out. I also am brand new at this and am having trouble locating fish. Was out last Sat. on lake George,figured all the fish would be easier to find being near the top.Wrong... We didn't mark nothin'..My set-up is very similar to yours, except I don't have marine radio.I have a 17' Alum. with Humminbird fish finder