BUMPING BOTTOM

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

BUMPING BOTTOM

Post by tamiron »

SOME OF YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE!

Depending on the length of the threaded rod this tool will walk right up a steep underwater incline and/or continuously scrape bottom without getting hung up!

We have no financial interest in this device!.

It's a DIY project that I invented (circa 1985) and used quite successfully on Lake Ontario at Oak Orchard on the lake side of the outer break wall as it goes from 25-30' up to 8' (plateau) in a pretty short distance. If you don't get hung up you ... you have a great chance to tie into a king in the fall run.

The beauty of this rig is the inter-changeability of the lengths of the rods, based on the frequency and height of the depth changes. The rod is removable for easy storage. A small amount of grease will maintain the easy on - easy off feature.

Once the hole is drilled the rest is simple. Probably a 15 minute job at most.

Use masking tape to mark off the length of the shield portion on your drill bit so as to have the right hole depth.
Attachments
CANNON BALL LEG.jpg
CANNON BALL LEG.jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Last edited by tamiron on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: BUMPING BOTTOM

Post by dry net »

We try to do the same thing with dinglers. A dingler is a one or two pound weight attached to the rigger ball with heavy floro or a steel leader and heavy floro. Haven't tried it on Champ but works well on Ontario. Good luck , Matt
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Re: BUMPING BOTTOM

Post by drachma »

Jim,

This is high tech compared to what I've been using for the last 20 years.
I take a cannon ball and drill two offset holes through it so the top holes are closer together than the two bottom holes. I then took threaded rods about 24 inches long and thread them through. Then I put double nuts on the top and bottom to lock the rods in place. The rods coming out of the bottom create a set of legs about 18 inches apart. This can not only keep my weight off the bottom, but better yet, creates a mud line that Lakes really like and follow to the lure close to the ball release. It works great for Lakers. SECRET RELEASED!

Michael